Actuarial Outpost

Actuarial Outpost (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/index.php)
-   Software & Technology (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   MS Access - beginner questions (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/showthread.php?t=344998)

1695814 11-22-2019 10:48 AM

MS Access - beginner questions

I'm pretty new to MS Access, and so I have quite a few questions on how things work. This thread will be a depository of my questions and your answers.

TIA for your contributions.

:toth:,
###

The latest post is here: http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actu...88#post9886688

1695814 11-22-2019 10:53 AM

I have quite a few "copy/paste this SQL code into [this] MS Access db & run it".

Assume that I have the appropriate db open.

Generally, what I do is [Create], [Query Design], [Esc] or [Close] (since the table used is already referenced within the SQL code I have), [SQL View], paste the code here, [Ctrl+,] to run it.

My question: Is there a faster/easier way to get to a blank query in SQL View than going through [Query Design]?

Follow up question: Once a SQL Query has been run, is there a keyboard shortcut to go back to the SQL View code?

Sleeping Dragon 11-22-2019 11:23 AM

Once you ran the query and you are in the datasheet view, you can press CTRL+< or CTRL+> to move between datasheet view to design view to SQL view. I am not aware of any shortcuts that go directly to blank SQL view.

1695814 11-22-2019 12:21 PM

The only way I know how to determine what db I'm in is to open up the File menu and see it in red there at the top underneath "Info".

I'm used to Excel where the spread sheet/workbook that you have open is prominently displayed there right on the top of your screen.

Is there an easier way to know what Access db you have open and are looking at?

Sleeping Dragon 11-26-2019 12:54 PM

Doesn't the file name show up on the title bar?

1695814 11-26-2019 01:59 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleeping Dragon (Post 9759459)
Doesn't the file name show up on the title bar?

Nope. The title bar just says, "Access". :shrug:

I must be doing it wrong.

Stedit 11-26-2019 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 1695814 (Post 9759569)
Nope. The title bar just says, "Access". :shrug:

I must be doing it wrong.

If you go to File -> Options -> Current Database, there should be an "Application Title" box you can fill out. If you put the filename in there, that should replace the "Access" in the title bar.

1695814 12-05-2019 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stedit (Post 9759604)
If you go to File -> Options -> Current Database, there should be an "Application Title" box you can fill out. If you put the filename in there, that should replace the "Access" in the title bar.

First, :toth:.

Second, wow, that's crazy that I have to go through that step. Is there a way to make Access do that automatically for every Access file I ever use?

Sleeping Dragon 12-06-2019 10:30 AM

Do this happen to just MS Access? Or does it happen to all you MS Office documents? If it is just MS Access, are you bypassing the startup options in any way? For example, holding the shift key when opening the file bypasses the startup options.

1695814 12-06-2019 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sleeping Dragon (Post 9765186)
Do this happen to just MS Access? Or does it happen to all you MS Office documents? If it is just MS Access, are you bypassing the startup options in any way? For example, holding the shift key when opening the file bypasses the startup options.

Upon further examination, I see that it does put the filename in the title bar for all files now.

The way it was worded in that options menu made it seem that it would only do it for that particular file.