Actuarial Outpost

Actuarial Outpost (
-   Bridge (
-   -   2018 MSC (

Steve White 11-10-2017 02:51 PM

2018 MSC
1 Attachment(s)
January problems. Deadline Dec 10 at 11am EST. Let's get the new year off to a strong start.

oirg 11-13-2017 07:36 AM

January guesses - I found these to be very tough, not sure about any of them.

A. pass
B. 1S
C. 2S
D. pass
E. double
F. pass
G. 3S
H. spade queen

Klaymen 11-27-2017 09:58 AM

A. 3:ht:
B. 2:cl:
C. 3:dm:
D. 2:dm:
E. 5:dm:
F. pass
G. 3:cl:
H. :dm:9

Nice to see how few we agree on already. I might pay the price for taking the glass is half-full approach.

Numbers Nerd 12-01-2017 02:18 PM

Shall we assume that our group effort to participate in the MSC as Expert Solvers won't be until 2019 or 2020? That is, these 2018 solutions will be handled just as in prior years.

Klaymen 12-01-2017 02:39 PM

Why wouldn't we just start participating immediately?

Steve White 12-01-2017 03:10 PM

We should do this month the normal way. We are not panelists this month. I believe the current procedure is that our term as panelists will be three months. It's definitely less that one year. We may not get the problems we are to answer until January. Jeff's e-mail said we would get them between Dec 5 and Jan 25. Jan 25 means the earliest they could be would be the March problems, and their lead time might be longer than that. The calendar quarter Apr - June may be likely. His e-mail said we would get three e-mails with links to the problems to answer, tending to confirm that our term is three months.

kmbrunskill 12-02-2017 08:16 AM


A - pass. I'm so close to 3NT. Maybe with another diamond
B - 2C
C - 3NT. Partner could be 3 hearts no?
D - I hate every bid here. So I'm going to pass
E - 3NT
F - pass
G - pass
H - 9D

Been There Done That 12-02-2017 08:38 AM

Have we decided who's going to submit our group solutions this year?

I'm willing to do it.

Steve White 12-02-2017 10:25 AM


Originally Posted by Been There Done That (Post 9179015)
Have we decided who's going to submit our group solutions this year?

I'm willing to do it.

I'm assuming I will, since I want to be submitting the consensus answers the months I'm an official panelist. If you or someone else prefers to submit the consensus answers in other months (in all months including those), that's fine with me. I can submit my own answers in the other months. The January problems look awful, so I'm not confident about what that either my answers or the consensus answers will score well.

Steve White 12-02-2017 11:11 AM

January answers. I started thinking about these the day I posted the questions. I even started drafting my choices and reasoning. Now I know why I didn't post or save them, though as I recall most of these are how I felt then.
A. 3NT. Hamman's rule. 3S is my second choice, but on a 4-card suit seems too extreme. Pass is certainly a possibility since it's matchpoints.
B. 1S. Either this or 2C (and I see the other votes agree those are the choices).
C. 3C. With such a strong hand I think I've got to bid again, and with 2=3 in the majors I'm not going to support a major yet. Second choice 3D.
D. P. Initially thought about bidding a major, but would have to decide which major, and don't see that we gain much if I do. Considered 2NT, but not enough playing strength to justify that.
E. 3NT. Hamman's rule. Second choice 4D
F. 1C. Don't you prefer to make the auction a little tougher for the opps, especially if you can encourage the lead you suspect is best. Even if 1C doesn't take a bid he would want to make away from LHO - and he might well want to open 1C - bidding after an overcall is less defined that auctions starting with an opening bid.
G. 3C. I think it's worth inviting a game. No strong feelings about 3C vs 3D - I would be happy if he accepted either, and with 2 missing club honors he may be more likely to accept 3C. My main reason for picking 3C is that if he wants to be noncommittal over 3C he could bid 3D (I would bid game) or 3H (I would not). 3H by him over 3D would not be as committal.
H. H7. Any suit could be right. I'm sure I wouldn't lead this at the table, from a 4-card suit into declarer's first bid suit, with a partner who will have very little. It could pay off big, e.g. partner having the Q with the 10 dummy. That's unlikely though, and as I type the "reasoning" I realize that with two side aces I may not need to lead the suit at trick one. I certainly do not if partner has the Q and dummy the 10. So this is likely the last time I'll have anything good to say about a heart lead.

Answers so far

                A    B    C    D    E    F    G    H
oirg            P    1S    2S    P  Dbl    P    3S    SQ
SW            3NT    1S    3C    2D  3NT    1C    3C    H7
Klaymen        3H    2C    3D    2D    5D    P    3C    D9
kmbrunskill      P    2C  3NT    P  3NT    P    P    D9
4 Sigma                                                   
Leading                                        P

Only one leader (requires at least 3 votes) so far.

I'm odd man out on it (F). It's one of the two I feel most confident of my choice. I don't think 1C is a lot better than P but do expect that the panel will find 1C better. Is it possible that the 4-card diamond suit will take too many votes away from the 3-card club suit? That could happen, and they probably expect a split among P, 1C and 1D. I can't see P getting a majority and think 1C might, but if 1D does well then P might take the plurality.

All times are GMT -4. The time now is 07:20 AM.

Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.

Page generated in 0.12501 seconds with 9 queries