Actuarial Outpost

Actuarial Outpost (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/index.php)
-   Non-Actuarial Topics (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Pokemon Go just came out (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/showthread.php?t=310679)

Guest 07-08-2016 11:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by almondjoy239 (Post 8602799)

:lol:

dinosaur 07-11-2016 08:09 AM

You can also find dead people and get robbed

http://qz.com/728225/augmented-reali...armed-robbers/

SlowMotionWalter 07-11-2016 08:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ShivamS (Post 8602990)
It does work. Pokemon don't appear if you're going over 25 mph.

They do, however, appear in restricted military bases. So, don't go in there.

Gotta up recruitment somehow. Yvan eht nioj.

vividox 07-11-2016 08:14 AM

I went to my buddy's 30th birthday beer crawl this weekend, and all of my friends were playing it. You know how beer leads to bad decisions? Well, I have this stupid app on my phone now.

Arthur Itas 07-11-2016 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by redearedslider (Post 8601430)
Maybe I'm getting old but I don't really get the appeal to this. I should go outside more

I knew some diehards would download the app, but I also don't get the appeal. I guess we aren't it's target audience.

Nintendo's market value has gone up $7.5B since it's release.

Quote:

Originally Posted by article
It's now on more Android phones than dating app Tinder and its rate of daily active users was neck and neck with social network Twitter, the analytics firm said. The game is also being played an average of 43 minutes a day, more time spent than on WhatsApp or Instagram, it added.

http://www.nbcnews.com/tech/tech-new...o-days-n606981

ShivamS 07-11-2016 09:59 AM

I feel like this is a really good way to get a date.

Just gotta throw out a lure... Have like 20 people in the same spot... start up a conversation with one of them... and then go on a pokemon catching date together.

NerdAlert 07-11-2016 09:59 AM

I take long walks every night already, so I decided to at least try out the game before talking crap about it. I didn't understand the appeal before I downloaded it, and I still don't understand the appeal now.

I walked for about 90 minutes and came across ~5 pokemon in the first 30 minutes, and zero after that. I didn't double back on much of my original route so I don't think that's the cause.

I realized the game was not for me about five minutes in, when I encountered a whole family also playing it and quickly put away my phone out of embarrassment.

My next door neighbor is super into this game, and we are the same age and into the same nerdy stuff otherwise, so maybe the problem is just me.

mlschop 07-11-2016 10:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arthur Itas (Post 8603923)
I knew some diehards would download the app, but I also don't get the appeal. I guess we aren't it's target audience.

Nintendo's market value has gone up $7.5B since it's release.

That's weird, since Nintendo only has a small role here, as a partial owner of The Pokemon Company. Their name isn't even on the app - it's developed by Niantic.

Aw Yeah 07-11-2016 10:09 AM

its awesome seeing kids that look like they don't go outside much kind of half-assedly wandering the streets in dirty sweatpants and flip flops squinting in the sun.

and seeing a lot more kids outside.

i'm sure there will be a bunch of weird crap that happens but this is a great idea IMHO.

G-Funk 07-11-2016 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NerdAlert (Post 8604016)
I take long walks every night already, so I decided to at least try out the game before talking crap about it. I didn't understand the appeal before I downloaded it, and I still don't understand the appeal now.

I walked for about 90 minutes and came across ~5 pokemon in the first 30 minutes, and zero after that. I didn't double back on much of my original route so I don't think that's the cause.

I realized the game was not for me about five minutes in, when I encountered a whole family also playing it and quickly put away my phone out of embarrassment.

My next door neighbor is super into this game, and we are the same age and into the same nerdy stuff otherwise, so maybe the problem is just me.

I went on a 3 mile walk last night, and decided to use this app too. I got a lot more than you did, but they're all repeats (I think have about 25 unique). There's a hot spot with two gyms and about 10 stops right across the street from my place, so I decided to end my walk with a stroll through that courtyard. As I got closer, there were probably 100-150 teenagers wandering around the place, all of them glued to their phones. It was kind of creepy, so I got out of there as quickly as I could. I'll give it another week or two, but I think the fact that you are staring at your phone when you could be interacting with real people or enjoying your surroundings kind of ruins it for me.