Actuarial Outpost

Actuarial Outpost (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/index.php)
-   Non-Actuarial Topics (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/forumdisplay.php?f=22)
-   -   Pokemon Go just came out (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/showthread.php?t=310679)

Anthemyst 07-11-2016 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeIsAPoissonProcess (Post 8604422)
How are pokestops/gyms determined? All of the ones near me are next to sculptures

They're all significant points in Ingress, which I think is the first big game that Niantic made. Ingress is also an augmented reality MMO, and I think Niantic based a lot of Pokémon Go on it. The points in Ingress were determined over a few years, I think players could submit locations if they were culturally/socially/religiously significant and they'd get approved, which is why so many of them are churches, schools, statues, plaques, public buildings, etc.

Bingboing 07-11-2016 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthemyst (Post 8604447)
They're all significant points in Ingress, which I think is the first big game that Niantic made. Ingress is also an augmented reality MMO, and I think Niantic based a lot of Pokémon Go on it. The points in Ingress were determined over a few years, I think players could submit locations if they were culturally/socially/religiously significant and they'd get approved, which is why so many of them are churches, schools, statues, plaques, public buildings, etc.

:iatp:

vividox 07-11-2016 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LifeIsAPoissonProcess (Post 8604422)
How are pokestops/gyms determined? All of the ones near me are next to sculptures

Seems to be points of interest (bars, libraries, churches, post offices), probably determined by Google Maps or something like that.

EDIT: Or what Anthemyst said.

King of the North 07-11-2016 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Anthemyst (Post 8604447)

Im writing them that my cube is culturally significant right now.

Anthemyst 07-11-2016 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by King of the North (Post 8604452)
Im writing them that my cube is culturally significant right now.

There's a pokestop near me that claims to be the "birthplace of ice skates" so the screening process is clearly airtight.

greenman 07-11-2016 01:32 PM

I saw something yesterday that there were some pokestops at gentlemen's clubs.

Androzani Major 07-11-2016 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Androzani Major (Post 8602116)
Given Pokemon's appeal to those who may be prone to various neuroses (shy nerds/geeks - keep in mind that Pokemon is the brainchild of an autistic man), I see this game as possibly being helpful to some who might otherwise be confined. I look forward to reading personal interest stories that say as much.

Called it! :party:

ElDucky 07-11-2016 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Androzani Major (Post 8604503)
Called it! :party:

Are these people with phobias, or just lazy?

coinfootball 07-11-2016 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vividox (Post 8604334)
Does incense bring Pokemon to me if I just sit on the couch, or do I still have to move around?

I used incense last night and caught 7 Pokemon without leaving my home. I needed the wifi so I had no other option.

Work has not one, not two, but three pokestops.

vividox 07-11-2016 02:11 PM

:tup: