Actuarial Outpost

Actuarial Outpost (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/index.php)
-   General Actuarial (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Fast forward to APC? Help! (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/showthread.php?t=269731)

n_asnani 11-16-2013 10:07 AM

Fast forward to APC? Help!

I need a little advice. I currently live in Jamaica and I'm still a student...I know that regularly, eligibility for the APC requires that you have MOST of the credentials required for ASA already. However, apparently for the APC in Jamaica, December 2013 in particular, they have relaxed some of these requirements. I have received an e-mail from the Director of International Activities (SOA) suggesting that I may register for this APC session given the exam credits I have already, if I desire to be an ASA.

My issue however is that I'm still not quite sure which of the SOA/CAS routes I will take yet! :-( My applications will be sent for pretty much every LOB but if I am privileged enough to have a choice, I think I would actually go with P&C. There is no guarantee however that I will stay/even end up in P&C though, because I haven't tried and gotten a taste of anything other than some internships in Life. I still have no idea which LOB I will end up in.

APC in my very own country about a 3 hr drive away, without requiring 4/5 exams and FAP modules...sounds like a pretty juicy offer. But if it's something that I'd end up just wasting money for because I ultimately decide to pursue an FCAS instead, it wouldn't make much sense.

So, who thinks I should capitalize on this offer and register?

(NB. My sig indicates my exam progress so far and I plan to start working around June 2014)

jraven 11-16-2013 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n_asnani (Post 7122375)
APC in my very own country about a 3 hr drive away, without requiring 4/5 exams and FAP modules...sounds like a pretty juicy offer.

How so? The APC doesn't make you an ASA, it's just one of the many requirements (and by far the easiest) for getting the ASA. If you're employed in a remotely reasonable non-P&C actuarial position your employer will pay for you to attend an APC at the appropriate time, and won't balk at a fairly minor travel expense.

On the other hand if you attend it now, you'll be paying for it yourself (personally I could think of better ways to spend $500) and may not ever need it.

Brock 11-18-2013 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by n_asnani (Post 7122375)
I need a little advice. I currently live in Jamaica and I'm still a student...I know that regularly, eligibility for the APC requires that you have MOST of the credentials required for ASA already. However, apparently for the APC in Jamaica, December 2013 in particular, they have relaxed some of these requirements. I have received an e-mail from the Director of International Activities (SOA) suggesting that I may register for this APC session given the exam credits I have already, if I desire to be an ASA.

My issue however is that I'm still not quite sure which of the SOA/CAS routes I will take yet! :-( My applications will be sent for pretty much every LOB but if I am privileged enough to have a choice, I think I would actually go with P&C. There is no guarantee however that I will stay/even end up in P&C though, because I haven't tried and gotten a taste of anything other than some internships in Life. I still have no idea which LOB I will end up in.

APC in my very own country about a 3 hr drive away, without requiring 4/5 exams and FAP modules...sounds like a pretty juicy offer. But if it's something that I'd end up just wasting money for because I ultimately decide to pursue an FCAS instead, it wouldn't make much sense.

So, who thinks I should capitalize on this offer and register?

(NB. My sig indicates my exam progress so far and I plan to start working around June 2014)

Don't worry about it. If you go P&C, you can take the SOA GI track. The CAS will be obsolete in 5 years anyway. FCAS will go the way of the VCR repairman.

Arlie_Proctor 11-18-2013 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Brock (Post 7125513)
Don't worry about it. If you go P&C, you can take the SOA GI track. The CAS will be obsolete in 5 years anyway. FCAS will go the way of the VCR repairman.

Get a grip on reality.

Brock 11-19-2013 12:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arlie_Proctor (Post 7125666)
Get a grip on reality.

This comment would be more appropriately addressed toward the SOA. I'm just paraphrasing.