Actuarial Outpost

Actuarial Outpost (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/index.php)
-   Actuarial Exams: United Kingdom / Europe (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/forumdisplay.php?f=87)
-   -   Has any US actuary ever gone to spain to work? (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/showthread.php?t=179045)

missactsci 11-02-2009 06:44 PM

Has any US actuary ever gone to spain to work?

I would love to get feedback on this subject. I'm an actuarial analyst looking to move to spain to do the same type of work there. They are short on actuaries and on english speakers so they need people like me but they have a very different system of how to get "in" to being an actuary there. They said I actually could never be an actuary there unless I did an actuarial program in spain.

If anyone has been an actuary in spain, coming from a different country, I would love feedback. Thanks.

ElDucky 11-03-2009 12:21 AM

I know of someone from Mercer in Canada who is doing a rotation there for a few years I think. I think that would be your 'in'. Work at a company where you are that has international rotations.

Gabriel 11-03-2009 05:57 AM

PM Sent

vtek 11-03-2009 08:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ElDucky (Post 4003778)
I know of someone from Mercer in Canada who is doing a rotation there for a few years I think. I think that would be your 'in'. Work at a company where you are that has international rotations.

i may know of the same person

vchagas 12-18-2009 08:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by missactsci (Post 4003320)
I would love to get feedback on this subject. I'm an actuarial analyst looking to move to spain to do the same type of work there. They are short on actuaries and on english speakers so they need people like me but they have a very different system of how to get "in" to being an actuary there. They said I actually could never be an actuary there unless I did an actuarial program in spain.

If anyone has been an actuary in spain, coming from a different country, I would love feedback. Thanks.

You should just get in touch with the Spanish Actuarial Association, if you are an actuary in Canada, you should be OK in any country that is a member of the IAA, there is a protocol signed between all the full members.

The question is being hired!

Minnesotah 12-18-2009 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by missactsci
Has any US actuary ever gone to spain to work?

Nope. In the history of time, this has never occured.

asdfasdf 12-19-2009 04:24 AM

If you're still at an analyst level it may be difficult, if you get your FCIA / FSA then you'll be useful there. Even if you can't technically sign on local opinions because you don't have the local letters you'll still be seen as valuable because of the FSA, even ASA would be best probably to get in the door. I know some Canadians / Brits who've worked there.

jas66Kent 06-09-2012 04:47 AM

Well, I've lived in Spain, and it depends on what kind of work you're actually doing. If it's a foreign firm that has offices in Spain, then you might be able to do it. But I very much doubt you could get a job with a Spanish firm.

Also, you better be fluent in Spanish, as that would definitely be a requirement.

almost_there 01-24-2017 04:04 AM

If you become qualified in the Spanish system, does the SOA recognise you as fully qualified in America too? If not, what would the extra requirements be?

carlos cuesta 02-25-2017 03:33 PM

almost_there I have never heard about possible convalidations... I think you should take the SOA-CAS Exams... does any know more about this??