Actuarial Outpost

Actuarial Outpost (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/index.php)
-   Chat with the Candidates & Exam Committee (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/forumdisplay.php?f=35)
-   -   Why did the CAS stop posting the minutes of Board Meetings? (http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/showthread.php?t=335454)

Aristides The Just 09-27-2018 07:38 PM

Why did the CAS stop posting the minutes of Board Meetings?

It came to my attention in the "Stronger as One" thread that in September of 2016 the CAS stopped publishing the minutes to all board meetings online, and changed the policy so that they are only available upon written request.

My question to any past or present member of the CAS board that was involved in this decision is, why?

Certainly the explanation may be entirely innocent. In fact since no one seemed to notice until now, perhaps the CAS was simply sparing their web developers the effort of putting the minutes on the website when no one cared enough to read them.

On the other hand, the timing is fairly suspicious. The change was implemented in September of 2016. According to the Stronger As One website, collaboration discussions began just 3 months later. I would hate to think this policy was implemented simply as a way for the CAS board to avoid the scrutiny of their members as they explored collaboration opportunities with the SOA that ultimately led to the current unifying proposal.

I'm sure I'm not alone among CAS members who would appreciate more transparency, both about the decision to stop publishing the minutes, and the context of the board meetings that led us to this point.

Herodotus 09-27-2018 07:42 PM

I had believed it was part of the general movement of the CAS to hide their information and decision-making from the SOA. I am now less certain of that.

It is a very unfortunate change, whyever it was made.

earthsunmoonsky 10-09-2018 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aristides The Just (Post 9438558)
It came to my attention in the "Stronger as One" thread that in September of 2016 the CAS stopped publishing the minutes to all board meetings online, and changed the policy so that they are only available upon written request.

My question to any past or present member of the CAS board that was involved in this decision is, why?

Certainly the explanation may be entirely innocent. In fact since no one seemed to notice until now, perhaps the CAS was simply sparing their web developers the effort of putting the minutes on the website when no one cared enough to read them.

On the other hand, the timing is fairly suspicious. The change was implemented in September of 2016. According to the Stronger As One website, collaboration discussions began just 3 months later. I would hate to think this policy was implemented simply as a way for the CAS board to avoid the scrutiny of their members as they explored collaboration opportunities with the SOA that ultimately led to the current unifying proposal.

I'm sure I'm not alone among CAS members who would appreciate more transparency, both about the decision to stop publishing the minutes, and the context of the board meetings that led us to this point.

:iatp:

redearedslider 10-09-2018 02:01 PM

Let the sunshine in!

Mud 10-11-2018 10:47 AM

I think someone (or maybe a number of someones) needs to make a written request. I'm curious how much of the minutes can be publicly shared, but I'm really curious how much detail was kept at the newly-secret minutes. [Did substantive details on this merger get captured, or was it all glossed over at a really high level as in, "members reported back on discussions held with the SOA at a meeting in April."

Also thinking that Fellows should demand and approve a by-law change requiring all minutes from the Board of Directors and Executive Council to be published and made available to all members online. [Because we Associates can't vote on it.]

Avi 10-11-2018 11:12 AM

I'm pretty sure that minutes of discussions that happen ini executive session cannot be made public.

PeppermintPatty 10-11-2018 12:29 PM

Yes, but why was this hidden in executive session? This wasn't something intrinsically private like discussinga salary. Rather, it's something that directly affects members, and could have been openly discussed.

Marcie 10-11-2018 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PeppermintPatty (Post 9450570)
Yes, but why was this hidden in executive session? This wasn't something intrinsically private like discussinga salary. Rather, it's something that directly affects members, and could have been openly discussed.

:iatp:

Are there rules about what can be considered sensitive enough to require executive session, or can a board keep all of its activities secret if it really wants to?

Marcie 10-11-2018 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mud (Post 9450419)
I think someone (or maybe a number of someones) needs to make a written request. I'm curious how much of the minutes can be publicly shared, but I'm really curious how much detail was kept at the newly-secret minutes. [Did substantive details on this merger get captured, or was it all glossed over at a really high level as in, "members reported back on discussions held with the SOA at a meeting in April."

Also thinking that Fellows should demand and approve a by-law change requiring all minutes from the Board of Directors and Executive Council to be published and made available to all members online. [Because we Associates can't vote on it.]

Mud, are you a member of the social group that Patricia started for P/C actuaries to discuss the merger proposal?

One of the members of that group posted a link to the minutes s/he had received by request.

Mud 10-11-2018 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcie (Post 9450677)
Mud, are you a member of the social group that Patricia started for P/C actuaries to discuss the merger proposal?

One of the members of that group posted a link to the minutes s/he had received by request.

Gasp - forgot all about that. I'll get in touch with her.