View Single Post
Old 09-08-2019, 10:11 AM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmw View Post
Hi. I'm looking into the possibility of working for a consulting company as a P&C actuary. I find the idea of consulting to be very attractive. I've always worked for insurance companies and never considered consulting until now because I just became an empty-nester. Now I'm willing to travel whereas I wasn't willing in the past b/c my children were at home. What are the pros and cons and what skills are needed to be successful as a consulting actuary. Any feedback would be appreciated. Thanks.
Some thoughts:

- Deep expertise in something. That's why clients would hire you of course.

- People skills. You need to be able to quickly learn the org structure of various clients and navigate it to get the things you need. At your level, you'll probably be expected to get into sales, so persuasive and communicative skills are important.

- Humility. If you haven't done consulting or run your own business before, you're not going to be hired in as partner. But, when you get there, there will be people who are a lot younger than you, but will be higher up or more accomplished than you are. You'll have to let that go. "I have X years of experience" won't necessarily translate into higher pay - the amount of business you can bring in/successfully execute on does.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.

Page generated in 0.19788 seconds with 9 queries