Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Sports
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 09-09-2019, 10:46 AM
SOA

Have you had lessons yet Canadien Fan? I can't recall.
Old 09-09-2019, 12:08 PM
SOA

Studying for Nothing!
Favorite beer: Blue Moon Belgian White

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancran1220 View Post
Have you had lessons yet Canadien Fan? I can't recall.
I took a 30-minute lesson in May in which the instructor told me:

1) Not to glue my chin to my chest cause that restricted rotation
2) Neutral grip
3) Bent towards the ball and less knee flex
4) Rotate around the spine and not the shoulders

Then took another 30-minute lesson in July in which the lessons learned were:

1) Not to bend the lead wrist (left in my case) on the top of my backswing (caused open clubface)
2) Keep elbows parallel on the top of my backswing
3) Set clubface square at address while the V's formed by my hands pointed between my neck and right shoulder
4) To relax my arms at address and not have too much tension in them

I bought another 30-minute lesson, but haven't been able to schedule it cause of time constraints. The lessons take place at a 9-hole course whereas I want to play at another course in a different city which has 18-holes and isn't crowded (I hate having other teams waiting behind me).

At my next lesson I'm thinking I'll ask the instructor about pitching within 30, 60, and 90 yards. I don't want to have to take 3 shots within 90 yards to reach the green. Thoughts?
Old 09-09-2019, 03:42 PM
SOA

Yeah, I mean most of that advice makes sense to me (exception being the elbows parallel at the top of the backswing which I've never heard of). I would be a little careful of the less knee flex in favor of bending over the ball, but obviously haven't seen your swing so I would take the pro's advice. I think most people have the issue of being too far on their toes rather than too far on their heels, the latter of which I'm guessing you might have been doing based the advice. The point is to be balanced and on the balls of your feet. At setup I have to mentally make sure I shift my weight back onto my heels a bit so that I'm not off balance since I err on putting too much weight forward onto my toes during setup.

I think you will get different answers from nearly everyone you ask for the 30,60,90 question. It really depends on so many factors and primarily just requires you to feel comfortable through practice and experimentation. Some people will say just to use one club for everything under 90 while others will use all sorts of different shots depending on the ranges. I'm a bit more in the latter. As mentioned before with Abstract, 60-80 I prefer 3/4 PW shots with the ball significantly up in my stance and weight shifted to my left leg. 80+ gets a bit iffy, either a normal stance 3/4 PW or fullish GW (50 deg). Less than 60 I almost always use my SW (54 deg) and just try to change the swing based on the shot. The exceptions are when I'm a bit closer in and need to get up and down tightly (such as chipping over a bunker with not much green to use) as I'll use my LW (60 deg) for those typically.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:02 PM
SOA

Studying for Nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancran1220 View Post
Yeah, I mean most of that advice makes sense to me (exception being the elbows parallel at the top of the backswing which I've never heard of). I would be a little careful of the less knee flex in favor of bending over the ball, but obviously haven't seen your swing so I would take the pro's advice. I think most people have the issue of being too far on their toes rather than too far on their heels, the latter of which I'm guessing you might have been doing based the advice. The point is to be balanced and on the balls of your feet. At setup I have to mentally make sure I shift my weight back onto my heels a bit so that I'm not off balance since I err on putting too much weight forward onto my toes during setup.

I think you will get different answers from nearly everyone you ask for the 30,60,90 question. It really depends on so many factors and primarily just requires you to feel comfortable through practice and experimentation. Some people will say just to use one club for everything under 90 while others will use all sorts of different shots depending on the ranges. I'm a bit more in the latter. As mentioned before with Abstract, 60-80 I prefer 3/4 PW shots with the ball significantly up in my stance and weight shifted to my left leg. 80+ gets a bit iffy, either a normal stance 3/4 PW or fullish GW (50 deg). Less than 60 I almost always use my SW (54 deg) and just try to change the swing based on the shot. The exceptions are when I'm a bit closer in and need to get up and down tightly (such as chipping over a bunker with not much green to use) as I'll use my LW (60 deg) for those typically.
Yeah I saw an Eric Cogorno YouTube video about distance between our feet and the golf ball, and that video said that the important thing is to have a good setup and then approach the ball:

1) Knees on top of the balls of our feet
2) Back of armpit on top of the balls of our feet
3) Weight on the balls of our feet
4) Hands hanging on top of our toes

This actually helped me quite a bit this weekend.

As for approach shots, lining the ball up closer to my back leg actually helped me achieve consistent shots. Dave Pelz seems to suggest that in his YouTube videos.
Old 09-09-2019, 04:07 PM
SOA

Studying for Nothing!

What do you guys eat during your round of golf? In my last two 18-hole outings, I bought egg sandwiches from the course marshall and ate them after the front 9. On both occasions this resulted in me screwing up holes 10 and 11, which I'm guessing is probably because my body went into a digestive mode. Next time I wanna make sure this doesn't happen. On the flip side, when I warmed up properly to get the blood flowing before the front 9, I made good connection with the golf ball.
Old 09-10-2019, 04:46 PM
SOA

Studying for Nothing!

So I looked at the website/YouTube channel called "Free online golf tips" and they have a section on setup (alignment, grip, posture, stance, ball position).

The key thing I'm interested in is the club shaft position at address. The online resource says that the butt end of the club should point towards the left hip at address. I realised during the weekend that having my lead wrist straight at address helped me to hit my irons pure. This may actually have been due to the shaft pointing towards the left hip.

Can someone confirm this? As in, the shaft should point towards the left hip at address.

Another thing I would like confirmation on: the "Free online golf tips" resource is saying that the feet should be shoulder width apart for every full swing. Is that true? I know I bring my feet closer together when I'm hitting a 9-iron versus when I'm hitting my driver (feet probably wider than shoulder width apart).
Old 09-10-2019, 05:04 PM

Eating would impact your performance if youíre running a marathon or playing basketball, etc. but golf? Nah. But if you think it does, have an energy bar or banana or fruit/nut mix, something like that.

Also, Iíll say this one more time. Find your game from 100 yards and in. My scores in the past 2.5 months have ranged from high 70ís to mid 80ís and my driving and iron play has been just mediocre. I played this morning and hit only 4/14 fairways but shot 79. I am worse (more inconsistent) at driving and iron play now than I used to be but my handicap has fallen into the high single digits because I actually have a short game I can somewhat rely on. It takes a lot of pressure off your long game if you feel comfortable with a short iron or wedge in your hand.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:44 AM
SOA

Studying for Nothing!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Yuss View Post
Eating would impact your performance if youíre running a marathon or playing basketball, etc. but golf? Nah. But if you think it does, have an energy bar or banana or fruit/nut mix, something like that.

Also, Iíll say this one more time. Find your game from 100 yards and in. My scores in the past 2.5 months have ranged from high 70ís to mid 80ís and my driving and iron play has been just mediocre. I played this morning and hit only 4/14 fairways but shot 79. I am worse (more inconsistent) at driving and iron play now than I used to be but my handicap has fallen into the high single digits because I actually have a short game I can somewhat rely on. It takes a lot of pressure off your long game if you feel comfortable with a short iron or wedge in your hand.
Thanks, I have Sieckmann's book "Your Short Game Solution" and I'm reading it during my commute to and from work. He seems to suggest a weak grip and ball at the back of our stance for wedge play.
Old 09-11-2019, 09:50 AM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Scotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gene Yuss View Post
I find less caffeine helps me. I also need to remember to hydrate
Old 09-13-2019, 11:15 AM
SOA

Gonna walk 9 today. One thing I've noticed with my swing is in my knees. At address I tend to let them fall inward under my body a bit and noticed I could push them outwards to stay more over my feet which makes the stance feel a bit more athletic. No idea if this would change anything with my swing since I haven't been to the range, but made me question what is the correct athletic posture at address for the knees in particular.