Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Health - Disability
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 06-05-2019, 09:58 AM
SOA

Studying for Group Health Core US
Favorite beer: Amberboch

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdAlert View Post
What game?
I'm open to suggestions. I'm always up to learning new games if others have something particular in mind.

I was thinking maybe Root. It's a great game. Plays in about 2-3 hours, and the box isn't too big to pack. Probably pack a couple small, short games as well.

I should be getting in about 8:30 on Sunday night. Might be up for something short then, but it will be 11:30 body time. So probably not Root that night.

We're hosting clients on Monday night, so that's out. I would be able to play a longer game (like Root) on Tuesday night though.

- "The solutions all are simple... after you have arrived at them. But they're simple only when you know already what they are."
----------------------------------------------
Old 06-05-2019, 10:05 AM
SOA

Studying for a hobby.
Favorite beer: Guinness

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post
I'm open to suggestions. I'm always up to learning new games if others have something particular in mind.

I was thinking maybe Root. It's a great game. Plays in about 2-3 hours, and the box isn't too big to pack. Probably pack a couple small, short games as well.

I should be getting in about 8:30 on Sunday night. Might be up for something short then, but it will be 11:30 body time. So probably not Root that night.

We're hosting clients on Monday night, so that's out. I would be able to play a longer game (like Root) on Tuesday night though.
I'll join! I've been curious to try Root. But I'm not super competitive, so hopefully that won't be a downer for anyone else.
Old 06-05-2019, 10:52 AM
SOA

Studying for Group Health Core US
Favorite beer: Amberboch

Quote:
I'll join! I've been curious to try Root. But I'm not super competitive, so hopefully that won't be a downer for anyone else.
I've got one other definite (a coworker of mine), and one other "probably" from our parent office. So 3-4 players is good. I do have the expansion though, so it can go to six if anyone else decides to join.

We're all casual players. So we don't mind if you are not competitive, if you don't mind being beat .

Seriously though, I've played maybe 5 times, coworker 2-3, and I don't think our "probably" has played before either. So, none of us are pros.

- "The solutions all are simple... after you have arrived at them. But they're simple only when you know already what they are."
----------------------------------------------
Old 06-05-2019, 12:25 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for ACA
College: Graduate of hard knocks
Favorite beer: Cold Smoke

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
Also, I am underwhelmed by the next 3 years of meeting locales

20 Chicago
21 Baltimore
22 Philly

I like places where there is one street/strip of bars where you can wander at night and easily run into people I know. Thinking San Diego, Austin, New Orleans, Nashville, etc.
The 2020 Valuation Actuary Symposium is in New Orleans.
Old 06-13-2019, 12:29 PM
SOA

i'm in! wherever you are going in the evenings, please post here if it's open to everyone. i'm up for meeting some new AO peeps.

What's wrong, Superman? Locked out of your big ice thingy?
Old 06-13-2019, 12:32 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenman View Post
Also, I am underwhelmed by the next 3 years of meeting locales

20 Chicago
21 Baltimore
22 Philly

I like places where there is one street/strip of bars where you can wander at night and easily run into people I know. Thinking San Diego, Austin, New Orleans, Nashville, etc.
the last health meeting in Baltimore was a lot of fun. the harbor area around the marriott is very nice, and everything is walkable.

What's wrong, Superman? Locked out of your big ice thingy?
Old 06-14-2019, 08:25 AM
SOA

Studying for a hobby.

Ugh. I'm going to have to dust off some business casual attire to pack for this, aren't I?
Old 06-14-2019, 01:32 PM

Favorite beer: The kind with 2 e's

Quote:
Ugh. I'm going to have to dust off some business casual attire to pack for this, aren't I?
only if you feel it is important. they say it is bizcazh but who really polices that? I have gone to Wednesday sessions in shorts bc I am checking out and flying that day.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:39 PM
SOA

Studying for a hobby.

Quote:
Originally Posted by tommie frazier View Post
only if you feel it is important. they say it is bizcazh but who really polices that? I have gone to Wednesday sessions in shorts bc I am checking out and flying that day.
It's very important to me to impress you people.

I probably have enough skirts to pull it off. The last time I bought business casual was four or five years ago, in winter. I'm not bringing tweed pants to the desert.
Old 06-14-2019, 01:44 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for ACA
College: Graduate of hard knocks
Favorite beer: Cold Smoke

Quote:
It's very important to me to impress you people.

I probably have enough skirts to pull it off. The last time I bought business casual was four or five years ago, in winter. I'm not bringing tweed pants to the desert.
I hear Seersucker is in season.

I looked at the attendee listing and it looks like a good group going. I will have to miss it this year for other commitments. The annual meeting appears to be shaping up as the plan now.