Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA/CAS Preliminary Exams > Investment / Financial Markets
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Investment / Financial Markets Old Exam MFE Forum

Old 12-26-2008, 02:03 PM

Default Anybody started to study Exam MFE already?

I got ASM 2009 study material and found out that I can not focus on study now. Don't know why? Anybody started to study exam MFE already?

Thanks.
Old 12-26-2008, 03:07 PM
CAS

Studying for CAS Exam 5

it's a little early. you have over 4 1/2 months til the exam. honestly, you can do this in less than 3 months as long as you're dedicated those 3 months.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:48 PM
CAS

I started but just go through a couple pages of ASM a day though, so its less intense.
Old 12-26-2008, 04:52 PM
SOA

Studying for MLC
College: UCONN Alum

Quote:
Originally Posted by actuarialpost View Post
I got ASM 2009 study material and found out that I can not focus on study now. Don't know why? Anybody started to study exam MFE already?

Thanks.
Absolutely not. Results come out next week so if by some miracle I passed I'm gonna go get wasted and enjoy spring semester senior year. If I failed, I'll probably still go get wasted and take the spring off so at least no more MFE either way until the fall for me.
Old 12-26-2008, 05:03 PM

You are not going to give it another go even though they are adding more material for the fall version?
Old 12-26-2008, 07:31 PM

Studying for MFE & maybe MLC
Favorite beer: Franziskaner

Quote:
Originally Posted by actuarialpost View Post

Thanks.
Old 12-27-2008, 12:41 AM
CAS

Studying for MFE
College: Syracuse
Favorite beer: Coors Light

OK. I'm the nerd. I frantically searched and found an ASM 4th edition about a week after taking FM. I felt confident enough I passed FM. I had a hard time with FM (had been away from math for many years). But, felt like I really got the hang of the Derivatives Market last October and didn't want to lose my momentum. Also, I'm real busy in the spring with my kids, so I really felt like I needed to get a head start.

Tonite I'm finishing the 4th chapter of 17 in the ASM Manual. I plan on starting Ch. 5 tomorrow. I'm just trying to reduce my stress for 2009. I agree the material doesn't seem too bad. I'm glad to hear it's doable by most in a relatively short period of time.
Old 12-27-2008, 08:29 AM
CAS AAA

Studying for NOTHING! FCAS AF!
Favorite beer: Fat Tire

I'll be starting soon, only because I am still in college (last semester!! woo hoo). So, I need a little extra time than most people because I can't dedicate 100% of my free time to studying for the exam. I have to make sure I split up my time between the exam and college stuff appropriately.
Old 12-27-2008, 10:02 AM
Note Contributor

Studying for Exam C

The hard thing about starting early is retaining the material. The syllabus for MFE is not that big and there are some disjoint topics, so it's possible to forget some things by the time you finish your first pass through the material or even afterwards when you are taking practice exams. I found this to be the case when I took MFE. I finished my first pass through the material about six weeks out, and while reviewing some of the early material, I managed to forget some of the interest rate material and had to go back and study that material again. Same thing happened to me when I was studying for FM. I forgot how to do some of the bond problems about a month before the exam and had to restudy that material.

I agree with the earlier comments about trying to get MFE out of the way this Spring before they add more material to it.

"Theoria cum praxis." Gottfried von Leibniz
Old 12-27-2008, 10:51 AM

Studying for MFE/3F
Default I've started studying...

...but then again, my story is different from probably most of y'all's. I'm a career changer trying to break into the business.

I've read and thought about Chapter 9 of McDonald and done some exercises. Starting Chapter 10 now.