Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe

Old 01-31-2013, 06:02 PM
CAS SOA

Default How to overcome interviewer's / resume reviewer's negative perception of me?

How can I get past the interviewer's or resume reviewer's negative perception of me whenever I apply for a job? Based on my background, like how I have not been able to get into the actuarial field, or how I did not have any extracurricular activities during college, they always label me as "nerdy Asian kid", "socially awkward", "not going to fit in here", "anti social nerd weirdo". I can never get past the interview and get a job because of this. I have only worked a long series of temp jobs that don't require an interview because I can never get hired for a permanent position.

But I feel like I have always been well-liked at all my jobs and got along well with everyone. For example, at my last temp job at an insurance company where I worked for over half a year, I would always go out with co-workers for lunch and bullshit during the day about sports or whatever. Finally, one day they had a full-time opening available. The full-time position was the same position I had, only permanent. The boss, "Mary", scheduled a meeting with me and asked me if I was interested in the full-time position and I said yes, and she said something like, "Okay, we'll go through the interview process and then start additional training." Why would she tell me about the job and ask me if I was interested if I am all of those things?

Then, during the week and a half that they were doing interviews, one of the days when "Mary" and one of my co-workers "Jane" came back to their desks after doing an interview, "Jane" sent me an IM (Jane sat just 10 feet away from me), "water, I don't mean to be pushy, but did you apply for the full-time position? I don't blame you if you don't want the job. We're finishing up the interviews this week, and "Mary" said she is going to make a decision by the end of the week. I asked her about you and she said she never received your application." If I am all of those negative things and I don't "fit in here", I don't understand why she would even send me that message and asked if I had applied.

Finally, during my last week they threw a big brunch for me and a bunch of people brought in some food and one of my other co-workers brought in a pancake machine to make pancakes, then they gave me a card extolling how much they liked me being there. Additionally, a few weeks prior to that, "Mary" ordered pizza for the department during a meeting because she said the "team" had received several kudos. But then, during the meeting, all the kudos were only for me by customers (both internally and externally) who had pointed out my good performance. I feel like they would not do this for me if I were not a good employee or did not fit in around there.

Also, the reason why I did not apply for the position is because I know when they interviewed me it would reveal how I really am and they would think lesser of me. Like at one of my past interviews, I got sent home less than 5 minutes into the interview because I couldn't come up with good answers to the interviewers' questions. I feel like I always fit in well when I am actually on the job but the interviewers and resume reviewers always look down on me when I apply for a job or go to interview.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:04 PM
SOA AAA

Yes, it's everyone else's fault.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art

“That is reminiscent of Harry Truman’s famous saying, ‘The buck stops, uh, somewhere over there, maybe?' That is a level of dodging responsibility that Trump has been perfecting ever since he was very much not in Vietnam.” -- LWTwJO
Old 01-31-2013, 06:13 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by water View Post
How can I get past the interviewer's or resume reviewer's negative perception of me whenever I apply for a job? Based on my background, like how I have not been able to get into the actuarial field, or how I did not have any extracurricular activities during college, they always label me as "nerdy Asian kid", "socially awkward", "not going to fit in here", "anti social nerd weirdo". I can never get past the interview and get a job because of this. I have only worked a long series of temp jobs that don't require an interview because I can never get hired for a permanent position.
How do you know that? On the rejection letters, does it say, "thank you for applying but we don't hire socially awkward nerdy Asian kids who are not going to fit in here"?

Quote:
Also, the reason why I did not apply for the position
That was dumb.

Last edited by Mr F; 01-31-2013 at 06:34 PM..
Old 01-31-2013, 06:21 PM
SOA AAA

College: Utah State University
Favorite beer: Yards IPA

Judging from your long boring post I would probably say that they are correct in assuming boring personality. They assume that about every EL candidate not just you. I just interviewed for a position and they wanted me to explain why my GPA was so low(it's above 3.5). This is a tough field to get into. You don't only have to prove your a good candidate for the job you have to prove that your the best candidate for the job.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:25 PM
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE

I don't know what you're asking. You were told you had to apply for the job to get it. You didn't apply. You didn't get it.

Next time apply.

TO DONATE, OR FOR MORE INFO, CLICK HERE
Old 01-31-2013, 06:44 PM
Official AO Grill Master
SOA

Studying for :lol:
Favorite beer: Yes

I can't tell if this is serious or trolling. If serious, go see a psychiatrist. It is you.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:44 PM
CAS SOA CCA

I would be surprised if they hire you.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:50 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr F View Post
That was dumb.
Well, like I said, the reason I did not apply is because I know from the interview that they are going to figure me out, i.e. they are going to see why I have not been able to find a permanent job, why nobody else wanted to hire me, and how maybe I am not really like how I come across during work. From the interviewing questions you can really find out things about people. Like in my case, if they were to ask about extracurricular activities in college and I cannot even answer them, they would make all sorts of judgements about me (like the one's I wrote about in the first post)...
Old 01-31-2013, 06:53 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ditkaworshipper View Post
I can't tell if this is serious or trolling. If serious, go see a psychiatrist. It is you.
I'm not trolling.
Old 01-31-2013, 07:08 PM
Non-Actuary

Studying for MFE
Favorite beer: Victory At Sea

Quote:
Well, like I said, the reason I did not apply is because I know from the interview that they are going to figure me out, i.e. they are going to see why I have not been able to find a permanent job, why nobody else wanted to hire me, and how maybe I am not really like how I come across during work. From the interviewing questions you can really find out things about people. Like in my case, if they were to ask about extracurricular activities in college and I cannot even answer them, they would make all sorts of judgements about me (like the one's I wrote about in the first post)...
How are you ever going to get any better at interviewing if you never try. You didn't get the job anyways so it would have been better that you at least got some interview experience from it. I would suggest doing some mock interviews or something because if you are too afraid to even try then you will never even have a chance for an offer. A 1% chance of getting the job offer is better then 0%.

You should read some interview books as well. Maybe you had no extracurricular activities in college because you had different cultural values where you were expected to come home everyday and take care of your parents.