Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Modules 6-8
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 03-11-2018, 12:30 PM

Studying for EA-2L

I explained what I was going to test, then I made a chart for each assumption I tested and then talked about them. I didn't have an appendix for any task other than task 5.
Spoiler:
Old 03-11-2018, 01:12 PM
SOA

College: Southern New Hampshire University

I think that's what I'm going to do. I have about 24 hours remaining on my clock.
Old 03-11-2018, 01:15 PM
SOA

yep same. still playing with wording and how to justify that it's a "critical assumption" but ghats generally what im gonna do
Old 03-12-2018, 08:05 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: magic hat #9

i pretty much did what ao fan did as well. no point in testing starting fund balance and the starting tuition amount, since they are set in the beginning and do not change over time.

i didn't 'sensitivity test' the asset mix. to me, that was what should have been done in task 2.

i provided (in tables) the impact on the metrics i selected based on my asset mix (task 2) for each assumption. i briefly explained why i did not choose certain assumptions. after looking at the impact, then i commented on the results.

doing it this way, obviously the most critical assumptions are the ones that had the highest impact.
Old 03-12-2018, 09:10 AM
SOA

Studying for FAP
College: Quinnipiac University

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilith View Post
I tested everything and DNMMRed with Task 4 being one of my tasks needing improvement.

How did you guys present your sensitivity tests, in a table? I did a bulleted list in order from most to least critical. Also did you only sort them by the quantitative effect? I kind of reordered them based on how likely they were to occur (kinda like key risks likelihood + severity) and I think that's probably where I went wrong.
mine looked almost exactly like the sample solution from EOM1. Sounded to me like a good idea to copy that.
Exam ILI-LPM
Old 03-12-2018, 09:14 AM
SOA

Did you guys use a flat % incr. and dec. or adjust it for each assumption based on what makes the most sense?
Old 03-12-2018, 09:14 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sungx88 View Post
i pretty much did what ao fan did as well. no point in testing starting fund balance and the starting tuition amount, since they are set in the beginning and do not change over time.

i didn't 'sensitivity test' the asset mix. to me, that was what should have been done in task 2.

i provided (in tables) the impact on the metrics i selected based on my asset mix (task 2) for each assumption. i briefly explained why i did not choose certain assumptions. after looking at the impact, then i commented on the results.

doing it this way, obviously the most critical assumptions are the ones that had the highest impact.
I also did not test the asset mix!
Old 03-12-2018, 10:18 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by mel.fel View Post
Did you guys use a flat % incr. and dec. or adjust it for each assumption based on what makes the most sense?
Personally, I think the shock for each assumption should be justified. For example, if you mention inflation risk as a key risk in Task 1, you probably want to have a higher shock for the inflation rate sensitivity test in Task 4. Maybe this results in all the assumptions being shocked by the same amount, but this reasoning should be justified. Just choosing a flat amount to shock each assumption without further explanation is too lazy an approach.

Also, if you are only mentioning the sensitivity test results for critical assumptions, you should also define what "critical" means.
Old 03-12-2018, 10:25 AM

Studying for EA-2L

yeah, flat amount for each and every assumption didn't make much sense once i started looking at the results. i thought of something that would make sense and would result in sensitivity testing most of what could actually happen. it's not going to be the same for every assumption. it was sort of arbitrary as to what i picked though.
Spoiler:
Old 03-12-2018, 10:26 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by actuary1122 View Post
Personally, I think the shock for each assumption should be justified. For example, if you mention inflation risk as a key risk in Task 1, you probably want to have a higher shock for the inflation rate sensitivity test in Task 4. Maybe this results in all the assumptions being shocked by the same amount, but this reasoning should be justified. Just choosing a flat amount to shock each assumption without further explanation is too lazy an approach.

Also, if you are only mentioning the sensitivity test results for critical assumptions, you should also define what "critical" means.
Im using other reasoning for the critical assumptions and supporting it with the sensitivity tests but thanks, I'm rethinking some forms of my sensitivity %'s. This makes sense to me