Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Quantitative Finance and Investment (QFI) track > QFI Core Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

QFI Core Exam Old Advanced Portfolio Management Forum

Old 05-03-2019, 02:12 PM
SOA

Studying for QFI Core Exam

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelsteel View Post
It is cumulative and curved although I really don't know how it's curved. Someone at my company has graded exams and she said they have a rubric for each question looking for specific benchmarks. If you get a certain benchmark you get those points. I'm feeling a little better about it them when I came right out, but still don't feel great.

Could anyone show how the forward swap could be viewed as a put on a ZCB? I don't even think they derived that in the source material tbh. As with so many other questions, I'd just try to derive it in real time. I'd get stuck for a second and be like, well, gotta move on cause of time. I don't understand why that exam was just so much harder than any problems I worked.

Edit 1: I knew that it could and I knew the formulas for both, just never saw how to get from one to the other.
LOL I thought it said to show how a caplet was the same as an option on a ZCB....
Old 05-05-2019, 08:21 PM
SOA

College: Miami University

Quote:
Originally Posted by n27 View Post
LOL I thought it said to show how a caplet was the same as an option on a ZCB....
Yea you're right, swap has zero initial value. Idk I just remember being pissed when I saw it lol.
Old 05-05-2019, 10:38 PM
SOA

That was only worth 1 point though. There were several high worth questions that surprised me, such as calculating hedging error, deriving sigma z, calculating eigenvalues, proving dC/dS = N(d1), etc
Old 05-06-2019, 08:51 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesexam11 View Post
That was only worth 1 point though. There were several high worth questions that surprised me, such as calculating hedging error, deriving sigma z, calculating eigenvalues, proving dC/dS = N(d1), etc
Agreed. Those were really difficult.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:01 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamesexam11 View Post
true. There was a lot of difficult stuff, that was just one that I remembered and was curious to see if anyone did it. A lot of those things weren't particularly difficult but time consuming, which equates on a tightly timed exam. Especially since even the ones that I knew how to do from start to finish didn't save me any time, still took me 3 minutes per point.

The PCA question surprised me. I couldn't believe they asked us to do that. I studied everything about it just didn't practice how to calculate eigenvalues/eigenvectors because I thought there was just no way they'd ask us to do that. That's just something you tell a computer to do for you because it's just tedious.

But anyway, maybe a lot of us are in the same boat and it isn't all as bad as it seems. Still, I really have no gauge as to whether or not I passed. Let's all just enjoy the next couple of months lol.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:28 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelsteel View Post
true. There was a lot of difficult stuff, that was just one that I remembered and was curious to see if anyone did it.
I actually did that one just because it was proved in one of the video lessons (so it was definitely in the FIS textbook). Sad it was just 1 point because I for sure bombed all the 2-3 point difficult questions.

I think I did okay in the qualitative stuff (e.g. name weakness/strengths of ARCH, does delta coverge to 0, etc.), but I'm sure everyone else did well on those too.
Old 05-06-2019, 09:46 AM
SOA

How did you feel about the Vanna Volga Strategy question?

I had no recollection of ever reading that...
Old 05-06-2019, 12:44 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by n27 View Post
How did you feel about the Vanna Volga Strategy question?

I had no recollection of ever reading that...
I had recollection of reading it but I definitely only read through it once and never did any problems. It was either one of the smaller readings or in one chapter of Derman's The Volatility Smile. The only thing I remember about it was volga was d(vega)/d(sigma), vanna was d(vega)/dS, and something about them helped price exotic options. But that didn't get me very far lol. I can't remember what else was in that question but was definitely one of them that I must've gotten 1.5 points MAX out of like 7-9.
Old 05-06-2019, 02:07 PM
SOA

likewise. I just knew risk reversal had high vanna and butterfly had high volga so they were options used to hedge against vanna/volga.
Old 05-06-2019, 10:44 PM
SOA

I think most candidate could muster a few points from the Vanna and Volga question. I think the most difficult question was the 1 year coupon bond vs 6 month coupon bond. The second half of that question shows the price of the 1 year coupon bond after half year and ask us to compare the P&L vs the half year coupon bond.