Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 04-27-2020, 12:12 PM
Non-Actuary

I was vaguely aware of the concept of Battle Royale games, but I had never played one of them before Apex Legends. For the longest time, I thought Fortnite was a dancing game after the popularity of the Fortnite dances, but eventually learned it was something different. I think I downloaded it last year when I got a PS4 to see what the hype was about, but eventually uninstalled it after maybe 5 minutes of playing it. Same thing with Call of Duty Warzone: the game looks like it could be fun, but the file size is absolutely enormous, so I don't want so much of my HDD dedicated to a game that I probably won't play all that often. Apex Legends has been the first game in a long time to draw me in like this. Maybe I'll give those other games a try too, because the core concept is really fun.
Old 04-29-2020, 04:14 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonactuarialactuary View Post
Free PS+ games for April: Uncharted 4 and Dirt Rally 2.0. Not really my thing. We just got Uncharted 1-3 a few months ago, and I never played any of them (though I've heard they're good games). Dirt Rally is supposedly a very difficult simulation racing game. I like racing games (actually playing a lot of Wipeout lately, which was a free game last year), but prefer arcade racers to simulation racers. I'll claim them just to claim them, but I doubt I'll bother installing either game. I was hoping for a big month to coincide with all the people at home due to COVID (driving sales of PS+ subscriptions), but I suppose Sony is content to stick to business as usual not wanting to cannibalize their other sales.

As for the March games, I never bothered installing Shadow of the Colossus. I did download Sonic Forces and played it a couple times, but it never really clicked like some games do. I might eventually finish it, but it's not very high up on the list.
Free PS+ games for May: Farming Simulator 19 and Cities: Skylines. I never touched the April games. I don't think I'll touch the May games either. People online are pretty miffed, and I can understand why. Offering two really niche simulator games seems to confirm the idea that Sony doesn't want to cannibalize their other game sales during the crisis, so they're only giving away games that nobody really wants. I have some vague interest in Cities: Skylines (I loved Sim City 2000/3000 back in the day), but I can't imagine it'd be a good experience on a console playing with a controller. As for Farming Simulator? Maybe Sony is predicting a COVID-related societal collapse, so teaching people how to farm is valuable?
Old 04-29-2020, 04:33 PM

So I got bored with Master Chief collection on xbox game pass so I canceled my subscription. Then about a day after my first 3 months for a dollar end...I wanted to go back to it...and it said my first month was $1. So now I'm on month 4 of my xbox game pass for PC and only paid $2 so far. I wonder if I keep canceling they'll give me another month for $1 (it's only like 4 or 5 dollars a month anyway).

Anyway, I got The Surge 2 from XB game pass. I thought it was a fun game. It's a dark-souls like game in a future/techy world. I'm not a huge fan of souls-like games and just use a guide while going through them...but it was better than I expected.
Old 04-29-2020, 04:33 PM

Quote:
Free PS+ games for May: Farming Simulator 19 and Cities: Skylines. I never touched the April games. I don't think I'll touch the May games either. People online are pretty miffed, and I can understand why. Offering two really niche simulator games seems to confirm the idea that Sony doesn't want to cannibalize their other game sales during the crisis, so they're only giving away games that nobody really wants. I have some vague interest in Cities: Skylines (I loved Sim City 2000/3000 back in the day), but I can't imagine it'd be a good experience on a console playing with a controller. As for Farming Simulator? Maybe Sony is predicting a COVID-related societal collapse, so teaching people how to farm is valuable?
Those are unfortunate. I will say that both Sony and Microsoft tend to have down months in the freebies department, so it could be all that this is. I mean, Uncharted 4 was one of the games this month, and that's a pretty darn good game.

Here's Microsoft's

Xbox Games with Gold for May 2020

Xbox One

V-Rally 4 (May 1-31)
Warhammer 40,000: Inquisitor - Martyr (May 16-June 15)
Xbox 360

Sensible World of Soccer (May 1-15)
Overlord 2 (May 16-31)
Best Deals This Week
Old 04-30-2020, 02:48 PM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: the one you're buying me

Quote:
Originally Posted by DjPim View Post
How are you liking RS3? Did you play RS at all before? I was too confused logging into my old account with all the new changes that I wouldn't know where to start, I'm pretty sure it would be easier for me to start a new account.
Sorry, just saw this.

I never played RS before. There's a thread in NAT about RS and it intrigued me enough to try it out for free. When I got capped at like level 5 on some sort of skill I thought I may need later, I plunked down the $30 for 3 months. I figure I'll play at least $2.50/week's worth.
Old 05-04-2020, 11:18 AM
Non-Actuary

Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abstract Actuary View Post
The Cadillac and still the king is Fortnite.
Not that I disagree entirely, but interested in how you came to this conclusion - as you've already mentioned, the difference between Fortnite and say War Zone is quite drastic, even if they are both Battle Royales. The additional mechanic in Fortnite makes the game way less about the FPS and more about building shenanigans. The huge thing that Fortnite has going for it that other BRs don't have is a huge social following - that counts for something, but not sure it translates directly into the best game. If we're defining which game will last the longest, that social effect is extremely important, of course.

-Riley
Old 05-04-2020, 11:44 AM

Quote:
Interesting. Those both sound fun to me, but I get your point. I got City: Skylines on PC whe Arroway was giving away games. Has been a decent bit of fun for me and my oldest kid. I still play it on occasion. I will download these, too. My oldest may love the farm simulator.
Old 05-04-2020, 11:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoanonstop View Post
Not that I disagree entirely, but interested in how you came to this conclusion - as you've already mentioned, the difference between Fortnite and say War Zone is quite drastic, even if they are both Battle Royales. The additional mechanic in Fortnite makes the game way less about the FPS and more about building shenanigans. The huge thing that Fortnite has going for it that other BRs don't have is a huge social following - that counts for something, but not sure it translates directly into the best game. If we're defining which game will last the longest, that social effect is extremely important, of course.

-Riley
When it comes to pure FPS, Fortnite will not be the best. It's cartoonish, it's less realistic, it's gimmicky, etc. So if you are a pure FPS guy, it's probably annoying. I have heard that sentiment often.

But if you're a more general gamer, it's the absolute king. It has so much more to the game then something like War Zone, PUBG, Apex Legends. This is partially driven by the popularity, and resulting longevity. But in addition to being a shooting game, it has all these other dynamics. Building, which brings a whole new skill to the game, new possibilities, that dampen the effect of pure FPS skills. It is less realistic and more cartoonish, which dampens the brutality of what it is meant to simulate and makes it more accessible for a broader range of people. It has things like the costumes and dancing that are meant to add more of a fun element. And because of the longevity and success it can keep adding additional nuances, like the bosses in this season, the Star Wars side battles, the Avengers game mode, etc.

So my comment is more from a general gamer standpoint. It's the king of the battle royales for those who aren't FPS devotees (and for a lot who are, too).
Old 05-04-2020, 12:28 PM
SOA

Got a couple Warzone wins last night.
Old 05-04-2020, 02:20 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing ever again!
Favorite beer: Bourbon

Started playing Diablo 3 with my spouse this weekend. It's been a while since we played, but it's fun and marginally interactive.

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, real analysis = real men, switch, vita, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one