Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Property - Casualty / General Insurance
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Not looking for a job? Tell us about your ideal job,
and we'll only contact you when it opens up.
https://www.dwsimpson.com/register

View Poll Results: ?
Yes 3 15.79%
No 13 68.42%
42 3 15.79%
Voters: 19. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-19-2020, 11:36 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale
Default Motor people, do you buy your motor insurance from your employer?

Do you?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 05-19-2020, 11:58 PM
CAS

I did briefly, then I stopped. I'm probably going to keep it that way. Would be kinda weird if a claim ever got a bit adversarial.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:01 AM
CAS

College: Ardnox
Favorite beer: The kind with alcohol

I could take the easy way out of answering the question by observing that my employer is not licensed to do personal auto business in the state where my car is garaged/registered.

But...even though employee discounts can be very attractive, consider the challenges that could arise if you have to file a "difficult claim"...and things go badly. Lots of potential conflicts of interest, particularly if you are in a role that requires you to mine data from open claims and if your employer doesn't have the necessary safeguards in place. Been there; done that. 0 stars. Would not recommend.

It's a potential low-frequency/high-severity risk. Whether it's worth it for a given employee is a matter of personal risk preference...but generally I like to minimize the amount of business/investment I do with/in my employer, in the interest of risk diversification.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:05 AM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for CSPA
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

I had coverage from my employer long before I became an employee.

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 05-20-2020, 08:50 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maphisto's Sidekick View Post
...But...even though employee discounts can be very attractive, consider the challenges that could arise if you have to file a "difficult claim"...and things go badly. Lots of potential conflicts of interest, particularly if you are in a role that requires you to mine data from open claims and if your employer doesn't have the necessary safeguards in place...
Yeah, around when I was hired there was an actuarial analyst who submitted a claim that the company thought was fraudulent. I dunno, maybe it was. But I don't want to risk my job just because I get into a fight with my insurance company.
Old 05-20-2020, 11:16 AM
SOA

Studying for a hobby.
Favorite beer: Guinness

I don't work in P&C, but my employer sells P&C in addition to life products.

Even with an employee discount, USAA is far cheaper for us. So no.
Old 05-20-2020, 12:36 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnLevel View Post
I did briefly, then I stopped. I'm probably going to keep it that way. Would be kinda weird if a claim ever got a bit adversarial.
Yeah like what happens if you get into an accident with a coworker, would the company be able to sue itself, like twice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:49 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maphisto's Sidekick View Post
I could take the easy way out of answering the question by observing that my employer is not licensed to do personal auto business in the state where my car is garaged/registered.

But...even though employee discounts can be very attractive, consider the challenges that could arise if you have to file a "difficult claim"...and things go badly. Lots of potential conflicts of interest, particularly if you are in a role that requires you to mine data from open claims and if your employer doesn't have the necessary safeguards in place. Been there; done that. 0 stars. Would not recommend.

It's a potential low-frequency/high-severity risk. Whether it's worth it for a given employee is a matter of personal risk preference...but generally I like to minimize the amount of business/investment I do with/in my employer, in the interest of risk diversification.
This. I've been there as well but not with an auto policy. I would also rate 0 stars... not even close to worth the $100 or so I saved annually.
Old 05-20-2020, 01:52 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for CSPA
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
Yeah like what happens if you get into an accident with a coworker, would the company be able to sue itself, like twice?
This isn't any different that two non-employees having coverage from the same insurer. Which happens more often than one might suspect, I imagine.

And to be clear, the "law suit" in any accident isn't against the insurer. It's against the driver and/or owner of the vehicle. So all the insurer needs to do is ensure that the legal representatives for each party have no conflicts of interest (most likely, the insurer is using "outside" counsel for each party from two different firms).

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 05-20-2020, 01:59 PM
CAS

way back when I worked pp auto and homeowners, the experience of the employee population was significantly worse than company wide. If I remember correctly, they ended the discount. but that was 20 years ago...so my memory may be fuzzy.

Also, I am old. carry on.