Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 06-01-2020, 03:46 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal

Not doing more due diligence on the neighborhood, our last house was in a place where everyone was keeping up with the Joneses, and it was super annoying. Very few of the neighbors were interesting, at all. No, I don't know the latest Taylor Swift song and no, I really don't care what kind of jeans your kid is wearing.
Old 06-01-2020, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by George Frankly View Post
Not doing more due diligence on the neighborhood, our last house was in a place where everyone was keeping up with the Joneses, and it was super annoying. Very few of the neighbors were interesting, at all. No, I don't know the latest Taylor Swift song and no, I really don't care what kind of jeans your kid is wearing.
I think this is pretty hard to research though outside of basic things like, "do lots of families live here?". Things could vary noticeably from two neighboring streets. You'd pretty much have to talk to people who live or who have lived there to get a feel for it, I think. It also might be hard to get non-biased answers (like if you ask the seller or a realtor).
Quote:
Originally Posted by Listeria View Post
I don't think figure8 agrees with figure8 anymore.
Old 06-01-2020, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdsafdsa View Post
What do you wish you'd thought about before you bought your last house?
Honestly, nothing that we didn't think about. But that probably comes with being on house #3. We definitely knew what we wanted on this one. That wasn't the case on the prior ones.
Quote:
Old 06-01-2020, 04:14 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by figure 8 View Post
I think this is pretty hard to research though outside of basic things like, "do lots of families live here?". Things could vary noticeably from two neighboring streets. You'd pretty much have to talk to people who live or who have lived there to get a feel for it, I think. It also might be hard to get non-biased answers (like if you ask the seller or a realtor).
Yes, I couldn't even find out how many families there were, and ended up buying in a place where all the kids were significantly older than mine. But that's because people didn't want to tell me, not because I failed to ask. It turns out that swingsets and sandboxes last quite a while after the kids grow out of them.
Old 06-01-2020, 04:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
Yes, I couldn't even find out how many families there were, and ended up buying in a place where all the kids were significantly older than mine. But that's because people didn't want to tell me, not because I failed to ask. It turns out that swingsets and sandboxes last quite a while after the kids grow out of them.
Yea, we tried to drive around neighborhoods on nice days to see if there were kids out playing in yards or common areas. Even then, I think it's hard to really know what it's going to be like until you move in. Even being like 10 houses down on the same street could be a very different experience with neighbors.

I think it's reasonable to try to ask things like "are there many families with young kids around," but I'm not sure it's really worthwhile to figure out if there are specific people in the near vicinity who you might become friends with or who are boring or whatever. You never know who might move in or out, so who your neighbors are (on a personality basis) comes largely down to luck, I think.
Quote:
Old 06-01-2020, 04:40 PM
CAS

Wish I bought a less expensive house, put more work into it and then moved in. I bought a "move in ready" house with only painting needs.

After 14 years of living we just finished a 3-year remodeling project. 80% practical, 20% cosmetic:
Year 1: Replaced oil heating with gas.
Year 2: Replaced window & in-wall AC units with central air
Year 3: replaced windows due to draft, so decided to reinsulate and therefore re-drywall. Turns out this 60yo house had no insulation. Zip. zilch. Replaced all copper/metal piping with PVC (had many burst pipes over the years, so decided to replace all when redrywalling. Cosmetic kitchen/bathroom upgrades.

All these were a huge pain as we lived in the house while the work was being done.
Old 06-01-2020, 05:06 PM
Non-Actuary

Not getting his leg amputated after the accident.
Usually while I'm reading, I'm actually thinking about...midgets riding toy horses - Roto

Old 06-01-2020, 05:06 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Sam Smith Oatmeal

Quote:
Originally Posted by figure 8 View Post
Yea, we tried to drive around neighborhoods on nice days to see if there were kids out playing in yards or common areas. Even then, I think it's hard to really know what it's going to be like until you move in. Even being like 10 houses down on the same street could be a very different experience with neighbors.

I think it's reasonable to try to ask things like "are there many families with young kids around," but I'm not sure it's really worthwhile to figure out if there are specific people in the near vicinity who you might become friends with or who are boring or whatever. You never know who might move in or out, so who your neighbors are (on a personality basis) comes largely down to luck, I think.
Totally agree that even moving a few houses could have a big impact in terms of nearest neighbors. In the neighborhood we hated, we basically just looked at stats. When we went looking in Kansas, we spent time walking the block and talking to random people. Our realtor was helpful in terms of the general vibe of the area, which looks to be a lot more diverse than where we live now.