Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 09-27-2012, 10:27 PM
CAS SOA

Default How to get a job with no extracurricular activities in college?

I can never answer the interviewers' questions with regards to extracurricular activities in college because I didn't have any. Even when I try to act as personable as possible, the interviewers can always see through this and reject me. I don't know how to get past this deficiency. Like where I am temping right now for a health insurance company for the past 7 months, everyone I run into in the hallways cannot believe that I did not get the open position that was posted, and my boss and my co-workers encouraged me to apply for it too. But I did not apply for it because I cannot answer the interviewing question with regards to extracurricular activities in college. I don't think any of my co-workers can tell that I did not have any extracurricular activities in college, but when they find out, I know it would adversely affect our working relationship, so I did not even bother to apply at all. I don't know how to overcome this deficiency...
Old 09-27-2012, 10:31 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for P
College: rising junior

Did you have a job during college which caused you to work a lot of hours? Did you do anything else during college for your free time? Anything interesting or that would not allow you to be in a club of some sort, etc...
Old 09-27-2012, 10:33 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vkica91 View Post
Did you have a job during college which caused you to work a lot of hours? Did you do anything else during college for your free time? Anything interesting or that would not allow you to be in a club of some sort, etc...
I didn't do anything interesting. I lived at home and mostly just studied, watched tv, and read the newspaper.
Old 09-27-2012, 10:39 PM
CAS SOA

Studying for P
College: rising junior

Did you not hear anyone tell you that grades aren't the most important things to put on a resume?

no but really, I'm not sure if there is a loophole to go about this, I was hoping for a different answer to my question...sorry
Old 09-27-2012, 10:41 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vkica91 View Post
Did you not hear anyone tell you that grades aren't the most important things to put on a resume?
I didn't hear it. But now it is too late to do anything about it.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:01 PM

Studying for FAP

Quote:
Originally Posted by water View Post
I didn't hear it. But now it is too late to do anything about it.
Man, you REALLY missed out in college.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:33 PM

You did not get any job offer not because you missed out extracurricular activities in college. It is because you don't know how to answer such easy question. It is like a day to day talk that requires no thinking.

Btw, my extracurricular activities in college was playing video games from dorm to dorm. I don't talk about it in the interview if I am not asked about it. However, I am fine to mention how well I play in certain games.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:35 PM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by clam View Post
You did not get any job offer not because you missed out extracurricular activities in college. It is because you don't know how to answer such easy question. It is like a day to day talk that requires no thinking.

Btw, my extracurricular activities in college was playing video games from dorm to dorm. I don't talk about it in the interview if I am not asked about it. However, I am fine to mention how well I play in certain games.
Isn't playing video games a bad answer? I thought it shows you are a screw-around and not well-rounded.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:36 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by water View Post
I can never answer the interviewers' questions with regards to extracurricular activities in college because I didn't have any. Even when I try to act as personable as possible, the interviewers can always see through this and reject me. I don't know how to get past this deficiency. Like where I am temping right now for a health insurance company for the past 7 months, everyone I run into in the hallways cannot believe that I did not get the open position that was posted, and my boss and my co-workers encouraged me to apply for it too. But I did not apply for it because I cannot answer the interviewing question with regards to extracurricular activities in college. I don't think any of my co-workers can tell that I did not have any extracurricular activities in college, but when they find out, I know it would adversely affect our working relationship, so I did not even bother to apply at all. I don't know how to overcome this deficiency...
Wow, really? When your entire department encouraged you to apply, you still didn't? It's pretty tough to get a job when you don't apply for it.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:39 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

In my experience, extracurricular activities don't really matter unless it's something really impressive, like Rhodes Scholar, Math Olympiad, Putnam, Heisman, etc.

Otherwise it's just your standard club/frat activities which just gives the impression, "oh ok, this kid is just like your ordinary college kid."

What did you do in your free time? I don't think you should be ashamed of your answer (unless you did nothing but loaf around). If you did nothing but study math, tell them that you studied math all day because you found it interesting and meaningful, or something like that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.