Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 10-21-2016, 10:11 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout
Default News that makes me laugh

http://www.kmov.com/story/33431341/c...l-transmission

Quote:
Carjackers leave man's car behind after discovering it has a manual transmission

ST. LOUIS (KMOV.com) -- Dustin French has lived in the Benton Park neighborhood in south Saint Louis for five years.

He's from St. Charles but says he loves living in the city. After what happened last week he's glad to be alive and share words of warning to others.

“A car came up right behind sort of half parallel parked behind me. A passenger got out with a firearm, told me to get out of my car and empty my pockets,” French said.

Thursday night at about 11 p.m., French left a south side gas station and was heading to his home about a half mile away.

As he pulled up to the curb he noticed a car right behind him. That’s when the criminal approached him with a weapon.

“All I got out luckily were my keys and I said what do I do now. I was asking for orders,” French said. “‘He said get up and walk away. Face away and keep walking.”

He believes the gunman, who police say was late teens or early 20's, didn't steal his car because it was a stick.

LinkedIn Profile
Old 10-21-2016, 10:15 AM
SOA

Studying for Nothing!
Favorite beer: Blue Moon Belgian White

Well yeah, manual trannys are a thing of the past. It's like driving a car without cruise control. You want your driving experience to be as seamless as possible.
Old 10-21-2016, 10:43 AM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

especially when you're stealing a car

LinkedIn Profile
Old 10-21-2016, 10:52 AM
SOA

College: Western Kentucky University

Yet another reason to be glad that bought a manual transmission car.
Old 10-21-2016, 11:16 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canadiens Fan View Post
Well yeah, manual trannys are a thing of the past.
maybe in the US.

No fear of my car getting stolen. The thief wouldn't get very far!

Was contemplating a possible UK vacation, most/all the rental cars were manual transmission. Fine by me.

Old 10-21-2016, 11:38 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Well yeah, manual trannys are a thing of the past.
There are a few brand new cars selling right now where a manual is all you get. You can get the girls' edition, but it won't be as fast and it won't be as fun.

http://driving.ca/ford/mustang/auto-...l-transmission

Quote:
It's like driving a car without cruise control. You want your driving experience to be as seamless as possible.
No, I don't. I want a car that forces me to be present and aware. I use cruise to give my foot a rest, but not used in any kind of traffic.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art

“That is reminiscent of Harry Truman’s famous saying, ‘The buck stops, uh, somewhere over there, maybe?' That is a level of dodging responsibility that Trump has been perfecting ever since he was very much not in Vietnam.” -- LWTwJO
Old 10-21-2016, 12:43 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
I want a car that forces me to be present and aware. I use cruise to give my foot a rest, but not used in any kind of traffic.
I constantly use cruise control every second possible. That allows me to be focused on the road and not wondering what speed I am going.

Old 10-21-2016, 01:37 PM
SOA

Studying for Nothing!
Favorite beer: Blue Moon Belgian White

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaymen View Post
I constantly use cruise control every second possible. That allows me to be focused on the road and not wondering what speed I am going.
Exactly. You should get adaptive cruise control, bro. Also see if you can get parallel parking assist and heads up display.
Old 10-21-2016, 01:54 PM
SOA AAA

"Parallel Parking Assist"??
Gawd, we're getting so soft. I think Trump is right, at least about this.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art

“That is reminiscent of Harry Truman’s famous saying, ‘The buck stops, uh, somewhere over there, maybe?' That is a level of dodging responsibility that Trump has been perfecting ever since he was very much not in Vietnam.” -- LWTwJO
Old 10-21-2016, 02:00 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klaymen View Post
When I'm controlling my speed, I can allow my car to slow down via being in neutral or via engine drag(?). Or brake. With CC, I can only brake. The slow-down for cruise does not work as well as I want it to, and I'm the one driving so what I want matters a lot.

As for speed, well, I can only go as fast as the person in front of me and as slow as the person behind me, and the cruise control doesn't know what those speeds are, nor when those speeds suddenly change.

When there's no one around, sure, cruise. I don't have a lot of those times on my commute. Perhaps my commute is a little more crowded than yours? Today, I had to use side streets instead of the freeway. (Freeway was all red on my google maps.)

Also, every time I shift, the CC turns off. So, not going to bother with CC until "life is a highway."