Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Modules 6-8
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 04-10-2018, 05:04 PM
SOA

Default FA-All tasks need significant improvement

Hi there. I received a couple of days ago my results. As u understand i dmmred. The feedback was "All tasks need significant improvement". What does this mean?
The apparent answer is that all tasks are of very low quality. I am having trouble in believing this as i have passed everything so far with the 1st attempt and i am 100% sure that at least 2 tasks were more than ok.
How should i approach my next attempt?
Thanks.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:28 PM
SOA

Studying for a hobby.
Favorite beer: Guinness

Quote:
Originally Posted by dd13 View Post
Hi there. I received a couple of days ago my results. As u understand i dmmred. The feedback was "All tasks need significant improvement". What does this mean?
The apparent answer is that all tasks are of very low quality. I am having trouble in believing this as i have passed everything so far with the 1st attempt and i am 100% sure that at least 2 tasks were more than ok.
Thanks.
How can you be 100% sure at least 2 tasks were “more than ok” unless you have access to the grading rubric?

There is no hidden message on your feedback; it means exactly what it says. I know this might be hard to digest, but there are many changes needed to make your paper passable.

My advice - go back and read through the modules. Yes, actually read them. You have time to do this. Take notes on anything you come across that might help you do better on your next attempt. Then, read each question thoroughly in the FA and make sure you are actually answering them. And finally, make your paper easy to read and make sure it is appropriate for the audience it is addressed to.

Good luck.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:32 PM

Studying for EA-2L

Quote:
Thanks.
I get the impression that the grading on the individual modules is more lenient than it is on final assessment, so passing everything else on the first try is sort of irrelevant.
Spoiler:
Old 04-10-2018, 05:39 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
I get the impression that the grading on the individual modules is more lenient than it is on final assessment, so passing everything else on the first try is sort of irrelevant.
I also include the IA.
I am sure because these two tasks the sensitivity and task 6 were the most str8-forward of all.
Old 04-10-2018, 05:44 PM

Studying for EA-2L

Quote:
I also include the IA.
I am sure because these two tasks the sensitivity and task 6 were the most str8-forward of all.
IA seems like a different type of exercise to me than FA. I could see doing well with one, but not the other.
Spoiler:
Old 04-10-2018, 07:50 PM
SOA

College: Brooklyn College Alum

Quote:
I also include the IA.
I thought task 4 was most straightforward as well, but on my 3rd attempt i had it tagged as one of 2 needing improvement.
On first i got all tasks, second got 2&5, third 2&4.
I couldn't believe i got 4, but i went back and looked at it again and after reading discussions on forum and on the google group i found a change to make regarding sensitivity testing of employment numbers.

Chuck Norris...
...is allowed to talk about Fight Club.
...lost both his legs in a car accident....and still managed to walk it off.
...understands the ending of 2001: A Space Odyssey.
...really DOES find gold when he picks his nose.
...is a stunt double for Optimus Prime.
...can dribble a football.
...can sneeze with his eyes open.
...CAN lick his elbow.
...can judge a book by its cover.
Old 04-10-2018, 09:23 PM

Quote:
Thanks.
Same problem here. I submitted my FA on 27/3 and DNMMR 10 days after. My feedback also was "All tasks need significant improvement". I was very surprised. I know 2 other guys who submitted the same day and DNMMR with the same feedback. Perhaps is it the same grader?

Actually, my FSA exams track is Quantitative Finance and Investment (QFI). I have passed my QFI core exam last year. I will be writing the QFI advanced Exam in two weeks. I have also passed two FSA modules in that Track. I am very comfortable in Investment and I found all FA Tasks (but 5) straightforward.

I spent 2 months reading and completing FAP modules 6 through 8. I did all the case studies, I found them very interesting. While doing my Final assessment that WE of 23-27 March, I read in the Forum comments of other candidates who MMR'ed. At that time, there were a lot of insights for the FA. I don't know what to improve. I'm very surprised by that feedback. I would have understand that Task 5 need improvement. But not "All tasks need significant improvement".

Last edited by MJforever; 04-11-2018 at 01:48 PM.. Reason: typos
Old 04-10-2018, 10:37 PM
SOA

i passed everything on the first try but failed FA the first time. they definitley mark harder

FSA Modules: SI FE ERM
FSA Exams: RPIRM RETFRC
Old 04-10-2018, 10:38 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by arto83 View Post
I thought task 4 was most straightforward as well, but on my 3rd attempt i had it tagged as one of 2 needing improvement.
On first i got all tasks, second got 2&5, third 2&4.
I couldn't believe i got 4, but i went back and looked at it again and after reading discussions on forum and on the google group i found a change to make regarding sensitivity testing of employment numbers.
ditto and i ened up doing a complete overhaul of my task 4 to be sure (and then i MMR'ed!). even though the same senstivitiy tests method was done and MMR'ed previously when used for FA I DNMMR

FSA Modules: SI FE ERM
FSA Exams: RPIRM RETFRC
Old 04-10-2018, 11:49 PM
SOA

Some graders are just anal like that. I had a friend who DNMMR'ed on FA and he just resubmitted pretty much the exact same paper and ended up MMR'ing.

I also had a buddy who had 2 tasks that needed improvement, fixed it up/resubmitted, and got a All Tasks Need Improvement on his second go. Needless to say, he was very pissed.

The lack of transparency in grading is very annoying, but don't stress over it too much you got this.