Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > CAS > CAS Exams > Exam 5 - Ratemaking/Reserving
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 11-06-2019, 11:55 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BayesDeep View Post
Anyone trying 5+7+9?
Why not 5,6,7,9 in Spring 2020?
Then just 8 in fall.
Old 11-07-2019, 09:47 AM
CAS

Studying for 7
College: B.S. University of TN, M.S. Ohio State
Favorite beer: Spotted Cow

Quote:
Originally Posted by FCASorGoHome View Post
Why not 5,6,7,9 in Spring 2020?
Then just 8 in fall.
Don't forget to add in MAS-I and MAS-II in the fall for good measure. In fact, just do P/FM/IFM over the summer too.

Old 11-07-2019, 11:53 AM
CAS

Studying for Exam 5
College: NYU
Favorite beer: Lagunitas

Only 2.5 months until hell starts again...
Old 11-07-2019, 12:10 PM
Meme-ber                         Meme-ber
CAS

Favorite beer: Allagash Curieux

one more post

live laugh love
Old 11-10-2019, 01:42 PM
CAS

Slippin in my last VEE before I start on this
Old 11-16-2019, 09:35 AM
CAS

Reading Friedland Chapter 10 today. I'm relieved at how easy going it has been so far. I've read Werner Modlin for work a couple of times over the years, so I'm not worried about that text at all, but I've never seen the Friedland material so I wasn't sure how challenging it was going to be. I haven't really started questions yet so that will be the real test, but I have months to get that part right if it's not there now.

Since it's going faster than I planned, I might try to finish this text early and then start going through old exam problems from the Reserving section. I still won't have any seminar access until the MAS-II results are official.

I'm kind of enjoying it and I want to go to our data warehouse and practice pulling everything to make triangles and start applying all the different methods to different lines and see how it goes. Hard to find time for that on top of my work responsibilities and I won't necessarily prioritize that over doing the actual exam problems, but I might dabble.

Anyone else excited about triangles or am I just completely Stockholm Syndrome with exams at this point?
Old 11-16-2019, 10:41 AM
Meme-ber                         Meme-ber
CAS

Favorite beer: Allagash Curieux

Quote:
Originally Posted by grape View Post
Reading Friedland Chapter 10 today. I'm relieved at how easy going it has been so far. I've read Werner Modlin for work a couple of times over the years, so I'm not worried about that text at all, but I've never seen the Friedland material so I wasn't sure how challenging it was going to be. I haven't really started questions yet so that will be the real test, but I have months to get that part right if it's not there now.

Since it's going faster than I planned, I might try to finish this text early and then start going through old exam problems from the Reserving section. I still won't have any seminar access until the MAS-II results are official.

I'm kind of enjoying it and I want to go to our data warehouse and practice pulling everything to make triangles and start applying all the different methods to different lines and see how it goes. Hard to find time for that on top of my work responsibilities and I won't necessarily prioritize that over doing the actual exam problems, but I might dabble.

Anyone else excited about triangles or am I just completely Stockholm Syndrome with exams at this point?
hi

live laugh love
Old 11-16-2019, 12:06 PM
CAS

sup
Old 11-20-2019, 06:24 PM
CAS SOA

Hey guys, will hopefully join you guys for this sitting. I'm deciding between writing Exam 5 and Exam MAS-I but I think Exam 5 would help me out with the internship in January.

Do you think it's possible to study for this exam well without getting TIA?

I've just finished Chapter 6 of Friedland; so far, it's been introducing a lot of terminology and I've seen some of it during my last internship so it's not been tough thankfully. I'm planning to finish Friendland by mid to late-December and finishing Werner & Modlin before February. After reading both texts, is there anything to do other than doing past exams and reading examiner's reports?

My internship doesn't pay for study material unfortunately so I don't think I can pay for TIA.

Hopefully, finishing the source materials should be sufficient and finishing them by February will give me plenty of time to work on problems!
Old 11-21-2019, 09:18 AM
CAS

Studying for 6
Favorite beer: IPAs

Quote:
Originally Posted by preyas999 2 View Post
Hey guys, will hopefully join you guys for this sitting. I'm deciding between writing Exam 5 and Exam MAS-I but I think Exam 5 would help me out with the internship in January.

Do you think it's possible to study for this exam well without getting TIA?

I've just finished Chapter 6 of Friedland; so far, it's been introducing a lot of terminology and I've seen some of it during my last internship so it's not been tough thankfully. I'm planning to finish Friendland by mid to late-December and finishing Werner & Modlin before February. After reading both texts, is there anything to do other than doing past exams and reading examiner's reports?

My internship doesn't pay for study material unfortunately so I don't think I can pay for TIA.

Hopefully, finishing the source materials should be sufficient and finishing them by February will give me plenty of time to work on problems!
I definitely think you can get by with just the source material and past exam problems.