Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 04-02-2020, 03:35 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
my mother's dipshit friends who took none of this seriously and went about their daily lives are pretty sure they have the virus. they aren't gonna get tested though because they are okay enough to just get better at home, so why drive somewhere far to even bother when the don't feel well to begin with? I highly suspect that there are a lot of cases like this and the denominator is hugely understated.

they have all the symptoms including loss of taste.
So you're saying your mother's dipshit friends have no taste?
Old 04-02-2020, 03:40 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by nonlnear View Post
Lots and lots of people had something with the symptoms of COVID-19 before its spread anywhere outside of China was officially acknowledged. The timeline derived from tracking confirmed cases is very likely wrong.
That would be interesting. I was sick back in early-ish January after traveling. Had a fever and dry cough. The cough was crazy, it was 90% contained to nighttime. It would wake me up at 2am and I would cough for 90 minutes straight without stopping. I do not recall having any loss of smell/taste though, and my fever was brief, while my cough lasted a week or so. While I doubt I had it, I suppose I would be interested in an antibody test should they ever become commonly available.

If the virus did spread earlier than official indication, that might be a good thing?
Old 04-02-2020, 03:45 PM
SOA

You're hearing these anecdotal stories all over the place of people being sick in January, but the hospitals are just getting slammed now. Why?

January was also the height of the flu season. If this was going around in any sort of significant way in January, the hospitals would have been absolutely overwhelmed.

I'm just not buying it was the same thing.
Old 04-02-2020, 03:45 PM
SOA

Studying for gonzo?
Favorite beer: gonzo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell View Post
I am going to copy the story below.

Spoiler:

fwiw, part of the reason I copy over the stories is convenience, but mostly it's for me 10 years from now. I've had too many links/info from the past get broken, so it helps to have the text when I go back later.

Yes, the graphics often get lost, but that's not my concern right now.

this is what i'm starting to believe, at this point, that the cure is worse than the disease
Old 04-02-2020, 03:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
this is what i'm starting to believe, at this point, that the cure is worse than the disease
Depends on the correlation between "normal death" and "coronavirus death". If they're independent, or only correlated to a small degree, we're potentially looking at a huge add on to annual deaths. Plus utter destruction of the medical system due to massive increased load of sick people, whether they die or not.

Once the medical system's capacity and supply issues are addressed, and we have a testing/tracing containment program in place, then it's reasonable to start backing off. Building the infrastructure for this should be a top priority. I fear little or nothing is actually being done yet.

Last edited by Cloister; 04-02-2020 at 03:56 PM..
Old 04-02-2020, 03:55 PM
Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamTheEagle View Post
You're hearing these anecdotal stories all over the place of people being sick in January, but the hospitals are just getting slammed now. Why?

January was also the height of the flu season. If this was going around in any sort of significant way in January, the hospitals would have been absolutely overwhelmed.

I'm just not buying it was the same thing.
If the rate of hospitalization to infection is significantly lower than the ratio of hospitalized cases to currently confirmed cases, then... it makes perfect sense. The alternate hypothesis is not that it started earlier and peaked earlier than when the current case count narrative suggests. It's that it started earlier, is far more widespread than official case counts, and the proportion of severe cases to total infections is way lower than the ratio of severe cases to confirmed cases. It could have been ramping up - exponentially - for a long time. But when you go far to the left on an exponential growth curve, what do you see?
Old 04-02-2020, 04:00 PM
SOA

Studying for gonzo?
Favorite beer: gonzo!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loner View Post
I would put money on it lowering your own exposure also. Not as much of a reduction maybe, but still a reduction.
Sure if someone coughs directly in your face and leaves a wet spot on the mask, it's not likely to do much. But that's not how direct most exposure is.
makes no sense. health care workers say wearing a mask won't protect you from the virus, but they wear them to protect themselves from the virus
Old 04-02-2020, 04:06 PM
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA

Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout

This should be interesting to see how this resolves
https://epidemic-stats.com/coronavirus/diamond-princess

Diamond Princess stats
Coronavirus Statistics
Diamond Princess
Infected

11 1.5%
Deaths

619 86.9%
Recovered

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diamond_Princess_(ship)
3711 passengers & crew

So:

19% of the population was infected; of those infected, 1.5% died

LinkedIn Profile
Old 04-02-2020, 04:07 PM
SOA

College: Yep
Favorite beer: Sweetwater Blue

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n63ckV17cHw

Someone tried to run a train into the USNS Mercy, which is docked in Los Angeles to treat non-COVID patients. Psychotic.

Physical violence as acceptable reaction or outdated masculine bravado as a positive quality is definitely not something the country should be moving towards or qualities we want to see in a President.

Old 04-02-2020, 04:07 PM
CAS

College: JHU

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gonzo View Post
makes no sense. health care workers say wearing a mask won't protect you from the virus, but they wear them to protect themselves from the virus
Some local governments fine those without masks now:
https://thehill.com/homenews/state-w...g-some-form-of
Hope other major cities such as New York, New Orleans can follow suit.