Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 06-01-2020, 11:11 AM
SOA

Default House regrets

What do you wish you'd thought about before you bought your last house?
Old 06-01-2020, 11:29 AM
Non-Actuary

I regret not checking all the property for damage.

I have a brick house with a detached brick garage built in the fifties. The house had termites when I bought it. I was an licensed exterminator at the time so it wasn't a big deal. I got rid of the termites on the property, rechecked the house for damage (minimal), all good. This spring when I went to remodel the interior of the detached garage I peeled back the inside sheathing and over half the studs were eaten away. This dude had termites in the garage for at least ten years. If it wasn't for the brick shell the place would have fallen over. I have spent the better part of this spring rebuilding the insides of the garage.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:43 AM

There is a busy railroad nearer to the house than we realized.
Old 06-01-2020, 11:52 AM
SOA AAA

College: Western Washington, Colorado-Boulder

Never thought about it until we bought our current house, but I'm so glad to have a south-facing driveway. It snows a lot here, but I've only really needed to shovel perhaps once per winter.
The opinions of Doctor No do not necessarily represent the opinions of mathematicians or consulting actuaries. Facts cited by Doctor No are not necessarily facts. Find me on Twitter: @NorrisDoug. If you send me a LinkedIn invitation, please let me know who you are (unless it's obvious how I know you).
Old 06-01-2020, 11:57 AM
CAS

street noise level for my last house. current house actually turned out better than what we originally thought
Old 06-01-2020, 12:00 PM
CAS

Studying for Vegas 2018

My neighborhood has a high water table = the sump pump runs a lot.

ACAS: 5, 6, OC1, OC2, PC

FCAS: 7, 8, 9
Old 06-01-2020, 12:02 PM
SOA AAA

Pools have a lot of expensive maintenance. Especially older ones.
And, try to figure out all the other annual maintenance that must be done. Divide that total by 12, and add it to the mortgage and compare to your monthly income.

Also, the one thought I should have had: "Can I afford this house if I lose my job and have to get another job that pays 20% less?"

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art

“That is reminiscent of Harry Truman’s famous saying, ‘The buck stops, uh, somewhere over there, maybe?' That is a level of dodging responsibility that Trump has been perfecting ever since he was very much not in Vietnam.” -- LWTwJO
Old 06-01-2020, 12:09 PM
SOA

one that I overlooked: Condition of trees on the property. When I bought my house there were 10 large ~70 yr old pine trees that looked not-so-great when we moved in. I didnt think much of it, but 5 years later I had to deal with 10 dead giant trees. Holy crap what a PITA; cant believe how much wood I have gotten rid of.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:11 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoctorNo View Post
Never thought about it until we bought our current house, but I'm so glad to have a south-facing driveway. It snows a lot here, but I've only really needed to shovel perhaps once per winter.
This. I usually need to shovel when it snows, but I don't need to worry about ice building up on the driveway. And if the snow is light, we sometimes just run the shovel down the driveway to expose strips of the black asphalt, which is enough to melt the rest.

I'm also glad I bought a house on a local high point, not a local low point, for water drainage reasons. But I thought about that when I was shopping.
Old 06-01-2020, 12:36 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for More Money
Favorite beer: Wurzel Bier

Where the sun will be at different times of the day. We had one house that the sun was super bright in the dining area every evening at dinner time. It was annoying. And that same house, the living room was super bright in the morning to the point where it made the room feel hotter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Actuary321 View Post
I would really hate to bring Pokémon to a gun fight.