Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > FAC, APC and PEC discussion forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

FAC, APC and PEC discussion forum Fellowship Admissions Course, Associateship Professionalism Course, and Practice Education Course Discussion Forum

Old 07-17-2017, 11:15 PM

Default FAC with Kids - Anyone?

I'm thinking about attend FAC with my spouse and 2 kids, (4.5 and 2) but not sure what they can do while I attend the 3 day course? Has anyone done it before?

I've registered for the one in Aug 14 - 16 in Bellevue WA

On the other hand, my husband might actually not be able to come with me if we can't find anyone to take care of the kids...I don't prefer to go to FAC alone but if it's not very kids-friendly then I guess I can do it solo

Last edited by a3yang; 07-18-2017 at 09:56 PM..
Old 07-17-2017, 11:39 PM
CAS

Where's the course?
Old 07-18-2017, 09:54 PM

It's in Bellevue, WA at Hyatt Regency
Sorry I should've given more info
Old 07-19-2017, 09:18 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for ACA
College: Graduate of hard knocks
Favorite beer: Cold Smoke

I attended FAC earlier this year. My spouse and child flew out on the last day as there wasn't much to do during the first two days for them. They arrived in time to attend the dinner on day 3 and then we spent a few days playing tourist around Atlanta. The FAC was an hour plus from Atlanta.

Bellevue is closer to Seattle and would provide some activities for your husband and children to do during the days. They won't see much of you until the last day though.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:04 AM
SOA

Honestly, the first two days would be pretty boring for your husband and kids if they just hang around. Bellevue is nice enough, and they could walk to a few restaurants and shops and a little park, but it's not "Seattle." If you want to do the iconic sights and tourist stuff in Seattle (which I do recommend), that would have to be done either before or after, since it's definitely not walkable from where you'll be.

People definitely do bring family and sometimes even kids to the final dinner, but I think it's more common to have the family come out later (or for them to find a way to occupy themselves during the first two days), since you won't have much interaction with them at all during the day. The biggest thing about the FAC is that you cannot be late and cannot miss any sessions, so you'd need to be careful about that if you're having lunch with them or hanging out during the breaks.

If you could have them meet you at the end, then you could have them there for the final piece and see you actually getting the FSA certificate, and then you could go into the city with them or also go exploring around some of the beautiful natural areas up there. Olympic peninsula/National Park is really, really nice, though you'd have to rent a car and do some significant driving to get there. On top of that, Seattle has some nice attractions to see.
Old 07-19-2017, 10:07 AM
SOA

Studying for a hobby.
Favorite beer: Guinness

Quote:
Originally Posted by a3yang View Post
I'm thinking about attend FAC with my spouse and 2 kids, (4.5 and 2) but not sure what they can do while I attend the 3 day course? Has anyone done it before?

I've registered for the one in Aug 14 - 16 in Bellevue WA

On the other hand, my husband might actually not be able to come with me if we can't find anyone to take care of the kids...I don't prefer to go to FAC alone but if it's not very kids-friendly then I guess I can do it solo
I have two kids who are the same age. I am opting to go solo, which was a very hard call to make.

If I were going to bring someone, I would have decided to leave the kids at home with grandma. But grandma just got a new job and can't take off work. And if I had decided to bring the whole family, I think I would have had them fly out on Tuesday so they could be there for the dinner Wednesday. It's hard to do much with a 2 year old! But it also depends on your husbands' comfort level re: entertaining both kids all day. My husband is a SAHD so he is great at it, but if it were me I would feel overwhelmed for three full days.
Old 07-19-2017, 02:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NerdAlert View Post
I have two kids who are the same age. I am opting to go solo, which was a very hard call to make.

If I were going to bring someone, I would have decided to leave the kids at home with grandma. But grandma just got a new job and can't take off work. And if I had decided to bring the whole family, I think I would have had them fly out on Tuesday so they could be there for the dinner Wednesday. It's hard to do much with a 2 year old! But it also depends on your husbands' comfort level re: entertaining both kids all day. My husband is a SAHD so he is great at it, but if it were me I would feel overwhelmed for three full days.
Same here! All of my parents an in-laws are still working full time, and my husband wasn't too entertained by the idea of flying to Seattle with 2 kids and spending 3 days there. So far, I've registered for the FAC with 0 guests for the dinner. Unless some miracle happens and we can secure childcare (insert eye rolling emoji here)

Thanks for all your replies everyone!