Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Sports
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Browse Open Actuarial Jobs

Life  Health  Casualty  Pension  Entry Level  All Jobs  Salaries

Old 02-03-2020, 02:55 PM
SOA AAA

Default 2020 NFL Football Discussion

OK, Good work, KC. Now 2-1 in the Super Bowl.

So, who do the "experts think will do well next year?
Same as always. I'm beginning to wonder if they really are experts.

https://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/...offseason-poll
This was posted at 7:10 PM Pacific. So, way way way too early poll imo

Quote:
Our power panel -- a group of more than 80 writers, editors and TV personalities -- evaluated how teams stack up throughout the season.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art

“That is reminiscent of Harry Truman’s famous saying, ‘The buck stops, uh, somewhere over there, maybe?' That is a level of dodging responsibility that Trump has been perfecting ever since he was very much not in Vietnam.” -- LWTwJO
Old 02-03-2020, 03:01 PM
SOA

took you long enough
Old 02-03-2020, 03:11 PM

Favorite beer: Yes, Please

IMO, AFC, it's KC vs. Baltimore again. I don't see New England recovering until they figure out Brady's replacement, and their defense was exposed down the stretch. Several teams could leap up with a key component now and again, but I don't see much change in postseason contenders.

NFL, it's SF, New Orleans (if Brees is back), Green Bay, Seattle, with the latter two needing some big talent infusions in the draft to take the next step forward (and Rodgers needs to get back to form).
Old 02-04-2020, 10:17 AM
Non-Actuary

Studying for C4
College: Chambana
Favorite beer: Whatever you buy me

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusus Naturae View Post
IMO, AFC, it's KC vs. Baltimore again. I don't see New England recovering until they figure out Brady's replacement, and their defense was exposed down the stretch. Several teams could leap up with a key component now and again, but I don't see much change in postseason contenders.

NFL, it's SF, New Orleans (if Brees is back), Green Bay, Seattle, with the latter two needing some big talent infusions in the draft to take the next step forward (and Rodgers needs to get back to form).
NO was still really solid with Bridgewater, so I don't think Brees is a mandatory component to their success. I've heard some people say Hill might be a viable candidate, but I think they're insane.
Old 02-03-2020, 03:15 PM
ASPPA COPA

Studying for Nothing.
Favorite beer: Massive Quantities

Does Mahomes need a new $40M a year contract or does he have a year left on the rookie deal? Might decide when the KC window closes and how quickly it closes.

49ers will have a few cap decisions on who to extend but they should still be good next year.

I have no clue what other teams cap situation looks like but with Lamar still on the rookie deal, the Ravens should be good again.

A lot of older QBs could be doing the shuffle and that could alter the landscape quite a bit.
Old 02-03-2020, 03:23 PM

Favorite beer: Yes, Please

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeetripper View Post
Does Mahomes need a new $40M a year contract or does he have a year left on the rookie deal? Might decide when the KC window closes and how quickly it closes.

49ers will have a few cap decisions on who to extend but they should still be good next year.

I have no clue what other teams cap situation looks like but with Lamar still on the rookie deal, the Ravens should be good again.

A lot of older QBs could be doing the shuffle and that could alter the landscape quite a bit.
He has 1 year left on rookie deal, but the rumors are they're going to extend him early. I guess you can be creative on contract structures to keep the early cap hits lower, but he's expected to get $40M a year.

Chris Jones also apparently wants Aaron Donald money (6 years, $135M, with $87M guaranteed).

If they do absolutely nothing, including keeping Mahomes at his guaranteed $5.4M, they only have $19M in room for 2020. Cutting Watkins (or negotiating him down) gives them an extra $14M. But they also have a bunch of players who are free agents, including several members of the DLine rotation and secondary.

NFL contracts are weird though. You can give a solid signing bonus and low early salaries to keep the early cap hits low, and worry about later years later, then convert the later high salaries to signing bonuses on contract extensions, etc., and never truly have to pay the piper re: QB salary cap until the end of his career, where you just eat it and rebuild (e.g. NY Giants, Eli Manning)
Old 02-03-2020, 03:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yankeetripper View Post

Mahomes has 5m cap hit from rookie deal in 2020 and 5th yr option in 2021 (franchise tag money so ~30m or so).
Old 02-03-2020, 04:25 PM
CAS Non-Actuary

College: Ball State Alumni
Favorite beer: Root or Birch

Lions over Browns

You heard it here first!
Old 02-03-2020, 04:32 PM
ASPPA COPA

Studying for Nothing.
Favorite beer: Massive Quantities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Funemployed View Post
Lions over Browns

You heard it here first!
Do they play in the preseason or something next year?
Old 02-04-2020, 10:40 AM
CAS

Studying for Nothing
Favorite beer: Not beer

Look at who's not shelling out massive dollars for their QB and has money to spend on other positions. Those are your early leading contenders.