Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > Individual Life and Annuities Track > Life Pricing Exam
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Life Pricing Exam Old Individual Life & Annuities Design and Pricing Forum

Old 10-23-2019, 03:22 PM
SOA

how are you all spending your last study week? im mostly grinding through the TIA index cards and working some of the practice calculation Qs on the side. basically just trying to remember as many key phrases/explanations to topics as possible. not sure if this is the best way to approach this exam, well find out
Old 10-23-2019, 05:30 PM
SOA

Studying for C

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandonSullivan View Post
how are you all spending your last study week? im mostly grinding through the TIA index cards and working some of the practice calculation Qs on the side. basically just trying to remember as many key phrases/explanations to topics as possible. not sure if this is the best way to approach this exam, well find out
No clue either... I am doing the same thing as you with the flashcards and past exam problems. Going through the past exams' model solutions makes me want to pull my hair out though.
Old 10-24-2019, 11:33 PM
SOA

College: Oklahoma State

Same boat with the objective 5 material. Wondering if the questions will be as in depth for this material as they were on the QFI exams. After going through the study material multiple times there were still questions on the QFI exams relevant to this exam that caught me off guard.
Old 10-25-2019, 12:59 AM
SOA

My strategy is to just score 5/10 on obj 5 questions. I'm guessing if there's going to be 2 of them on there, I can afford to lose 10 marks no sweat.
Old 10-25-2019, 02:16 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by be the good guy View Post
Most products covered in this syllabus are long duration contracts. I don't know what that means for what kinds of assets I should be investing in. Aren't companies investing practices quite varied in the industry? If I want a higher yield, am I not creating mismatches in my duration between assets and liabilities? I am confused as to how you balance all of these things.
Yes, long duration, but different products would have different underlying cash flows and you need to have the appropriate duration matching (including KRDs). And if there is any interest rate risk, how do you minimize it (e.g. hedge the risk? If hedging, you probably want to include the hedging cost in pricing)? Any foreign exchange risk for international products (i.e. products are sold in Japan but because of low interest rate environment, companies may want to invest in, for example, USD to get higher yields). This is getting to the core of ALM but the idea is that product development needs to involve ALM, know the current market and the securities that are out there, know the cost of hedging, etc.

www.pakstudymanual.com
PAK Study Manual Packages/Seminars for LFM-US / LFM-CA / LPM / LAM / GH SPC Spring 2020

LPM: Sample
LFM U.S.: Sample
LFM Canada: Sample
LAM: Sample
GH SPC: Sample

Should you have any questions, please send us an email.
Old 10-27-2019, 10:02 PM
SOA

Two more full days before the exam. Hang in there y'all!

I'm gonna work on a few more problems tomorrow morning, and then chill until the big day.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:12 PM
SOA

Studying for how to find a job

I have 600 flashcards to go. Goodbye world.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:17 PM
SOA

I was grinding through flashcards last week and I almost lost my mind. Decided to grind through more past SOA exams instead.
Old 10-28-2019, 01:23 PM
SOA

I'm also going to be chilling out now. Review some flashcards, re-read bits of the condensed summary, and read solutions from past exams to see if any answers surprise me.
Old 10-31-2019, 12:02 AM
SOA

some pretty awful questions...

- the ranking assets question part b.. something with yield curve? did not even know what it was trying to ask

- those GAAP vs CALM vs Solv2 reserves.. wtf

- recommending reinsurance solution?? the issues were so plain that it felt like coinsurance could be suitable for all situations