Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 01-03-2020, 06:33 PM
CAS

Good news is you could just "start" your resume with when you want to college, so it won't need to look like a resume gap if you don't want it to.

Yes get an internship or at least some work experience before you graduate.
Old 01-03-2020, 06:37 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

College: Southern Connecticut State University Undergrad

Quote:
Originally Posted by NormalDan View Post
What I'm trying to say is that it's a big commitment to follow through on becoming an actuary. People are often tempted by the notion that they can just study for a few exams and be fine, but the job isn't like that so even if you get through the first three if you find out you hate/aren't successful at the job it'll have been time wasted. If you think actuaries are running around calculating expected values of things then you probably are ignorant of what actuaries actually do and thus don't know whether or not you'd even like to do actuarial work. You're thinking of committing literally thousands of hours of self study if you pursue this, certainly should put at least some fraction of that into figuring out if it's the right path.
Can I ask how did you know you wanted to be an actuary? Or are you just kind of lucky that you didn't start hating it after a few exams like a lot of other people.
Old 01-03-2020, 06:39 PM
CAS

I just read the thread and see that you already have a degree. I agree with others in that getting another degree is not necessary. However, it could help with networking opportunities and getting an internship.
Old 01-03-2020, 06:42 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllj View Post
I just read the thread and see that you already have a degree. I agree with others in that getting another degree is not necessary. However, it could help with networking opportunities and getting an internship.
Can anyone on this site help me get an internship lol? The only thing I can offer in return is poker coaching if you're interested. And I'll buy the coffee.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:20 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by EatSleepPLO View Post
I'm clueless about video games so I will take your word for it. But i'm surprised there are more combinations in starcraft than poker. You solved how to play with 1000 chips? Now lets play with 1,000,000,000,000 chips.
It is ironic that you think of the problem in this way. You see, actuaries think of problems and price them out for 1000 policy holders and also millions. And we manage.

For example in poker, we probably wouldn't need to compute the probability of ruin after betting 647 chips, and move along to computing the probability | 648 chips, and to | 649 chips. Maybe this is what you are getting at, maybe not.

We do see that things can be done this way, but we generally don't, and those that can find the balance between the brute force methods and big picture prevail as successful. This is why computer programs are unlikely to become successful without our assistance. We focus our efforts on the pedantic and accurate when we think it will make a difference. Otherwise, we find a reasonable estimate or recommended action and move along.

Figuratively, we don't have to beat every world championship poker player, we just have to beat most of them. When Google enters the insurance business, they will do it with the best underwriting - but they will do it with actuaries.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:43 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

I hear you, and I think I get it. But that's not what I was getting at. When you you add the option to bet 649 instead of 648, you now just created a new branch on the gametree you have to solve for the rest of the hand that splits into many many more branches.
Old 01-03-2020, 08:50 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

I mean I don't even know calculus yet lol, but I'm very comfortable with the type of thinking you're talking about Underpaid. Sound just like many forms of gambling! Maybe not poker though, more like DFS GPPs.

Edit- nvmd

Last edited by EatSleepPLO; 01-03-2020 at 09:00 PM..
Old 01-03-2020, 08:53 PM
SOA

The point is that the outcome from betting 648 is not materially going to be different than the one from betting 649. Actuaries realize this, and you don't. Take the exams and realize it for yourself.
Old 01-03-2020, 09:08 PM
CAS SOA Non-Actuary

lol come on. I dont know shit about actuary but you clearly dont know shit about solving GTO big bet poker.

Whoa! those words dont turn to **** on this forum haha
Old 01-03-2020, 09:34 PM
SOA

Studying for CPD - and nuttin' else!
College: Swigmore U
Favorite beer: Guinness

So how did your first semester go????