Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 02-13-2020, 10:40 AM
CAS

If you are their manager, are you meeting with them regularly to discuss stuff? I meet with my directly reports ~weekly, and we talk about priorities, do some heads-down work, keep track of any administrative stuff that needs to be kept track of, talk about relevant office rumors, and I also give feedback, both good and bad, to keep folks on-track. Once a month I also try to talk about development -- where they want to be in a few years and how to get there.
Old 02-13-2020, 11:00 AM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBlackBen View Post
Can we get a few examples of how this person was rude to you?
+1
Old 02-13-2020, 11:08 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
It's common in consulting for there to be no official reporting lines at the non partner levels. Leadership is de facto and on a project by project basis. You may even be managed on one project by someone you manage for another project.

Dunno if op works in consulting though. Since he said he has two bosses, it kind of sounds like he does.
Yup, it's consulting.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:01 PM
CAS

If you are sure he reports to you but think he doesn't know he reports to you, step 1 is go tell this person they report to you.

Beginning to wonder if you are trolling
Old 02-13-2020, 07:04 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllj View Post
If you are sure he reports to you but think he doesn't know he reports to you, step 1 is go tell this person they report to you.

Conflicts on who actually reports to whom also happen in consulting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 02-13-2020, 07:11 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colonel Smoothie View Post
Conflicts on who actually reports to whom also happen in consulting.
Yes I know but op seems to know that the person reports to them, but thinks they dont know. Unless I am misreading

FWIW when I worked in consulting we had different project managers on specific projects but there were still very clear regular reporting lines - the project managers were not your line manager, they just organized and led projects. A better model imo. Having a single manager is good for training and career development and helping people prioritize and assess their availability for additional work.
Old 02-13-2020, 08:25 PM
Wiki/Note Contributor
CAS

Studying for CSPA
College: Hard Knocks
Favorite beer: Most German dark lagers

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllj View Post

I read that as the OP "thinking out loud".

Just because something seems clear to "you" and "your boss" doesn't necessarily mean that it's just as clear to the "direct report".

Why should I worry about dying? Itís not going to happen in my lifetime!

Freedom of speech is not a license to discourtesy

#BLACKMATTERLIVES
Old 02-13-2020, 09:18 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorian Atreides View Post
I read that as the OP "thinking out loud".

Just because something seems clear to "you" and "your boss" doesn't necessarily mean that it's just as clear to the "direct report".
But in that case - step 1 towards fixing this situation is still go tell the direct report who their boss is.
Old 02-14-2020, 02:43 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
!!!

Do you know he reports to you? Maybe he doesn't? Could it be a dotted line?

I have never been in an office where reporting relationships weren't clear, and publicly known. Most new jobs, my boss gave me an org chart covering everyone in my department, and told me a little about each employee. Has he not been oriented at all?

I think you need to talk you your boss about this. I'm now feeling sorry for this guy who thinks he's being ordered around by a peer, and is expressing his frustration with your overstepping your role. If he actually doesn't know who how boss is, he's owed a really big apology.

Not speaking for people in consulting companies, but you canít get annoyed at someone for going around you to your boss if itís not even clear you are his boss.
Old 02-14-2020, 02:47 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomanticActuary View Post
At the risk of sounding like an idiot, what if I say there's a chance he doesn't know he reports to me. I mean think about it this way, he was brought on by my boss. My boss told me "he's your guy", without actually putting something in black and white. Would I sound like an ******* if I tell him that you report to me so you better learn some manners, but in a polite way?
Yes, you would sound like a ******.

Sure, tell him “ you report to me “ And “ you better learn some manners, “ but in a polite way. But separately and a week apart, with enough time in between for him to change behavior. Also, I would recommend you mention the exact details of these incidents to a friend or family member to get a viewpoint on whether they think this person has bad manners as well.