Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

View Poll Results: What is your anxiety level regarding the pandemic?
No Change from Normal 42 26.92%
Slightly Anxious 42 26.92%
Moderately Anxious 45 28.85%
Very Anxious 17 10.90%
42 Rolls of Toilet Paper 10 6.41%
Voters: 156. You may not vote on this poll

Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #211  
Old 03-18-2020, 04:01 PM
Rastiln Rastiln is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Nov 2019
Posts: 264
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
i'm confused by the people who aren't at least "moderately anxious". they are closing down major cities!!!!!!!!! HOW COULD YOU NOT BE ANXIOUS?
I guess in the long-term - recession and thinking about others dying - I am a tiny bit anxious, but I chose no change. I'm isolated at home for at least 3 weeks, likely more like 6 but we shall see. As of day 6 I'm having a great time. No commuting, no interacting with people face-to-face other than my spouse. I'm more productive and have more free time. In a couple weeks I'll start laying down some fertilizer and grass seed, then sit on the porch with a beer.

In the meantime, the stock market is tanking and I'm buying. We are catching up on some video games and shows. Family isn't asking me to make multiple-hour trips to family engagements. I'm doing some more time-intensive cooking/baking than usual.

It's been very pleasant, in my personal bubble.
Reply With Quote
  #212  
Old 03-18-2020, 04:16 PM
campbell's Avatar
campbell campbell is offline
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NY
Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout
Posts: 93,103
Blog Entries: 6
Default

Took a walk outside today with the kids. Weather was nice.
__________________
It's STUMP

LinkedIn Profile
Reply With Quote
  #213  
Old 03-18-2020, 04:29 PM
Jasper07734's Avatar
Jasper07734 Jasper07734 is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Posts: 7,552
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
i'm confused by the people who aren't at least "moderately anxious". they are closing down major cities!!!!!!!!! HOW COULD YOU NOT BE ANXIOUS?
If it's arrogant to assume that it's being overhyped, it's also arrogant to assume that it's being underhyped. Let's just not judge each other like I did earlier while we anticipate what comes next.
__________________
The revAOlution will be complete when the language is perfect.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper07734 View Post
I was thinking [that the AO is] more like Pocket Pool: You think you're driving your point home hard, until you realize that you're really only busting your own balls
Quote:
Originally Posted by William F. Buckley, Jr.
Liberals claim to want to give a hearing to other views, but then are shocked and offended to discover that there are other views.
Spoiler:

s9; BS2; EC (not that EC); j6; A; W; TDA; CG; BB; TR; TG; A;
Reply With Quote
  #214  
Old 03-18-2020, 04:53 PM
Sredni Vashtar's Avatar
Sredni Vashtar Sredni Vashtar is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Favorite beer: pilseners
Posts: 9,980
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper07734 View Post
If it's arrogant to assume that it's being overhyped, it's also arrogant to assume that it's being underhyped. Let's just not judge each other like I did earlier while we anticipate what comes next.
Might be worth taking this to Political too, since anxiety is splitting on partisan lines.
__________________
L’humour est la politesse du désespoir

Last edited by Sredni Vashtar; 03-18-2020 at 05:59 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #215  
Old 03-18-2020, 06:20 PM
yoyo's Avatar
yoyo yoyo is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 24,844
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasper07734 View Post
If it's arrogant to assume that it's being overhyped, it's also arrogant to assume that it's being underhyped. Let's just not judge each other like I did earlier while we anticipate what comes next.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
Might be worth taking this to Political too, since anxiety is splitting on partisan lines.
this thread has remarkably few posts drifting into political territory. by all means take overtly political stuff somewhere else, but cautioning each other as jasper did seems plenty fine

Last edited by yoyo; 03-18-2020 at 06:23 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #216  
Old 03-18-2020, 06:22 PM
Sredni Vashtar's Avatar
Sredni Vashtar Sredni Vashtar is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Favorite beer: pilseners
Posts: 9,980
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
this thread has remarkably few posts drifting into political territory. by all means, take overt political stuff somewhere else, but gently cautioning each other as jasper did seems plenty fine
True, I just like politics.
__________________
L’humour est la politesse du désespoir
Reply With Quote
  #217  
Old 03-18-2020, 06:29 PM
Alpha12 Alpha12 is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Apr 2002
Posts: 813
Default

I'm slightly anxious. I'm grateful that I have studying to work on, but curious if I'll be able to prove that I understand the material. The syllabus does give more intuition for using python, I guess.

I may bake bread, or at least make dough for pizza in a weekend or two. Sourdough is really good, but I think I'll just use instant yeast.
Reply With Quote
  #218  
Old 03-18-2020, 06:33 PM
yoyo's Avatar
yoyo yoyo is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Posts: 24,844
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
True, I just like politics.
and i very much appreciate you keeping it in that forum!
Reply With Quote
  #219  
Old 03-18-2020, 06:56 PM
Breadmaker's Avatar
Breadmaker Breadmaker is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: May 2009
Studying for CPD - and nuttin' else!
College: Swigmore U
Favorite beer: Guinness
Posts: 6,488
Default

I was going to check on my neighbour, who had chemo earlier this year. He just got hizzelf a 12 pack delivered!
__________________
"I'm tryin' to think, but nuthin' happens!"
Reply With Quote
  #220  
Old 03-18-2020, 11:16 PM
lllj's Avatar
lllj lllj is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 5,403
Default

The no funerals thing is what is really giving me chills. Watching too much tv and they have people on the news to say a brief tribute to their lost loved one because they won't be able to do a proper funeral.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.36327 seconds with 13 queries