Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Finance - Investments > Non-Actuarial Personal Finance/Investing
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 07-08-2017, 10:02 AM
SOA

College: Yep
Favorite beer: Sweetwater Blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by oblivious View Post
Have any of their side projects generated any meaningful revenue? I'm not a fan of Thiel but I don't know if I can argue with his point that they're a search/ad company.

youtube is the only thing I can think of that now generates revenue for them, but youtube is a search for videos to watch, that also hosts videos.

google maps which is also a search for addresses/directions?

google docs, not a search, also no revenue
Umm. Android?

Physical violence as acceptable reaction or outdated masculine bravado as a positive quality is definitely not something the country should be moving towards or qualities we want to see in a President.

Old 07-08-2017, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShivamS View Post
Umm. Android?
They give android away for free as a way to get people to use google search more.

http://www.businessinsider.com/chart...ndroid-2013-12

Quote:
Why does Google do this?

One reason: The company believes giving Android away for free increases the size of the world's Web-connected population. The company believes that increasing the Web-connected population will inevitably lead to more Google searches — which Google can monetize with search ads.
Old 07-08-2017, 07:50 PM

Favorite beer: pilseners

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polak View Post

Thread title no longer accurate. Tesla shares were around $370 on Monday, over the course of 2 days (4th doesn't count) bottomed out at $307 yesterday, closed today at $313.

Sredni, did you pull the trigger?
Nope, I'm in the poor house now. I didn't want to stop gambling! Time to sell the cat.

I still have faith that Tesla is valuable-- like $300 valuable. Still annoyed that Musk is drilling holes in LA and landing two rockets in one weekend.

Quote:
Should we really think of Tesla as a car company? I doubt it. Look at google. It once thought of a search company, but they use search as a way to generate cash to invest in other projects (although it appears that thiel thinks google doesn't know what to do with that cash). I think Tesla is going to sell cars in order to generate cash to finance other "innovative" projects.
Last valuation I saw basically said Tesla was planning on making all its $$$ from cars. The hope of course is that everyone who buys a Tesla will want to install autonomous updates, which would net them the kind of margin they need to claim the crown. Basically another $10k on each car sold.

I don't think the batteries and roofs and crap matter much. I think the main question is what they can do with their (presumably temporary) lead in autonomous driving tech. Which is not a small market-- Uber is worth more than Tesla for example.

Last edited by Sredni Vashtar; 07-10-2017 at 10:17 AM..
Old 10-09-2017, 10:33 PM
CAS AAA

College: The University of Alabama
Favorite beer: Chimay Grande Réserve

The Truth Is Catching Up With Tesla

Spoiler:

Oct. 7, 2017 2:02 p.m. ET
New revelations about Tesla Inc.’s production of the highly anticipated Model 3 sedan should shock, but not surprise, investors.

The Wall Street Journal reported Friday that Tesla has recently been building major portions of the Model 3 by hand. This comes less than a week after Tesla announced it fell short of its third-quarter production guidance of 1,500 cars by more than 80%.

At the time, Tesla attributed the shortfall to “production bottlenecks.” On Friday, Tesla said it would postpone its launch event for a new truck to November to deal with Model 3 issues and to help provide assistance to Puerto Rico.

Tesla Chief Executive Elon Musk is known as a risk-taker, which has endeared him to Wall Street analysts and investors alike. There is a fine line, however, between setting aggressive goals and misleading shareholders.

Tesla is inching closer to that line. Tesla was making three Model 3s on an average day in the third quarter. Mr. Musk should have known in August, when production guidance was reiterated, that the company wasn’t going to produce 1,500 Model 3s by the end of September.

There are other examples. At the Model 3 launch event in July, he told reporters that Tesla had received more than 500,000 customer deposits for the car. Five days later, after a series of questions from The Wall Street Journal, Mr. Musk revised that number to 455,000 on a conference call with investors. The earlier, higher figure he quoted had been “just a guess.”

Investors approved Tesla’s decision to pay about $8 billion in stock and assumed debt to acquire Mr. Musk’s struggling SolarCity last fall, after Mr. Musk demonstrated roofs that could generate solar power for homes and promised production would begin in the spring. A year later, those roofs are conspicuously absent, beyond some installations for Tesla executives.

Last, but certainly not least, Mr. Musk told investors in May 2016 that he expected Tesla to produce between 100,000 and 200,000 Model 3s in the second half of 2017.

There is far more at stake here than just semantics. Investors have bid Tesla to a nearly $60 billion equity valuation on expectations the company will dominate the automobile market. That will be a fantasy if Tesla can’t produce enough cars profitably.

Tesla doesn’t have the financial wherewithal for investors to be patient. It burned more than $1 billion of cash in the second quarter and has nearly $20 billion in liabilities on its balance sheet. Tesla’s soaring stock reignited the interest of better-capitalized car rivals in electric cars. Fresh competition is coming.

At 67 times 2019’s expected earnings, Tesla stock is valued as though the company can execute on its vision flawlessly. The facts suggest the opposite.

It is high time for Tesla—and Wall Street—to acknowledge reality.

Old 10-10-2017, 10:01 AM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Alpha King

Chevy Bolt is taking off. Tesla S is fizzling.
Old 10-15-2017, 12:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by willel2338 View Post
Nah, Tesla is always one step ahead of the truth. Musk has already made up 10 more unreachable goals in the time it took to not reach that goal.

Sad to see Autopilot still struggling though, especially with the number of competitors entering the self-driving market.

Last edited by Sredni Vashtar; 10-15-2017 at 01:01 PM..
Old 10-17-2017, 03:01 PM
CAS AAA

Exclamation

Welding woes may be the bottleneck

Tesla employees detail how they were fired, claim dismissals were not performance related
Old 10-17-2017, 03:30 PM
CAS

Studying for nothing at all

http://fortune.com/2017/10/16/elon-m...in-puerto-rico

Well, this will delay vehicles even more. Though, of they can pull it off it will be awesome.

Bourbon(16)
Pappy Van Winkle-Family Reserve 15yr & lot "B" 12yr
Baker's 7yr
Blanton's
Knob Creek - 9yr
Basil Hayden
Maker's Mark - 46 & Cask Strength
Woodford Reserve
Jack Daniel's-Gentleman Jack, Single Barrel & Old #7
Four Roses Small Batch
Noah's Mill
Kirkland Bourbon - 7yr

Rye(6)
Angle Envy's - Finished Rye
Ravenswood Rye
Bulleit
High West - Double Rye
Whistle Pig - 10 yr
Old Overholt

Scotch(4)
Glenfiddich - The Distiller's Edition
Tomatin 12yr
The Dimple Pinch - 15 yr
Dewar's White Label

Irish(6)

Middleton Very Rare
Redbreast 12yr
Bushmill - Single Malt 16 yr
Connemarai
Jameson - Caskmates Stout and Regular
Old 10-18-2017, 11:04 AM

https://electrek.co/2017/10/16/tesla...ng-management/

Quote:
He said that suppliers will be held to high standards and deadlines or otherwise they could be fired – adding that “if you can make a human in 9 months, you can make a tool in 9 months,” in reference to the Model 3 production timeline.
I do worry that TSLA is inflated on Musk's clever quips.
Old 10-18-2017, 11:19 PM
CAS AAA

Arrow

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
https://electrek.co/2017/10/16/tesla...ng-management/

I do worry that TSLA is inflated on Musk's clever quips.
There are reports of Tesla customers with minor fender benders who have had to wait 6+ months for Tesla’s suppliers to make the replacement parts to fix their vehicles.

For the time being I’ve been content to watch the shit show, but am still considering shorting TSLA.