Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Health - Disability
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 03-18-2020, 09:39 PM
SOA

Default COVID-19 impact on IBNR

How are you guys factoring/modeling in COVID-19 into your March IBNR for your Medicare or employer group lines.
Old 03-19-2020, 08:53 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alexis sanchez View Post
How are you guys factoring/modeling in COVID-19 into your March IBNR for your Medicare or employer group lines.
Too many unknowns at this point. Seems reasonable to increase PMPMs from whatever they were assumed to be for Jan and February. The distribution of completion factors, service categories, etc are going to be much different than historical I'm assuming. Elective surgeries, services like dental and vision, etc are going to have next to no utilzation in some parts of the country as of a this week. There will also be a disruption to both the provider billing side and (your company's) claims review and adjudication. as far as the actual cost of Covid-19 for your members, thats going to be really hard to tell until more data emerges.
Old 03-19-2020, 10:53 AM
SOA AAA

Could simply change the seasonality of the months, if one uses seasonality.
How much? As Alfred Hitchcock's board game would say, "It's a mystery to me."

If Pricing uses whatever comes from IBNR process, I'd suggest going back a few extra months to a time without the expected onslaught of COVID claims, then bump up the trend. How much? See Hitchcock above.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art

“That is reminiscent of Harry Truman’s famous saying, ‘The buck stops, uh, somewhere over there, maybe?' That is a level of dodging responsibility that Trump has been perfecting ever since he was very much not in Vietnam.” -- LWTwJO
Old 03-19-2020, 06:12 PM
SOA

Going to depend a lot on type of service. All I know is seasonality is going to be a fun discussion for the next two-three years as this works it's way through experience.
Old 03-21-2020, 02:09 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for ACA
College: Graduate of hard knocks
Favorite beer: Cold Smoke

Lots of uncertainty in the estimations at this point. Most of the work being delegated on my side has been the impacts from financially stressed employers. Add in SEP's for the Individual QHP market now going mainstream and enrollment has the potential to be chaotic as well for a few months.
Old 03-23-2020, 11:25 PM
SOA AAA

College: Western Washington, Colorado-Boulder

It's possible that elective care offsets will be larger in magnitude (at least for March) than direct COVID-19 treatment.
The opinions of Doctor No do not necessarily represent the opinions of mathematicians or consulting actuaries. Facts cited by Doctor No are not necessarily facts. Find me on Twitter: @NorrisDoug. If you send me a LinkedIn invitation, please let me know who you are (unless it's obvious how I know you).
Old 03-24-2020, 12:56 PM
SOA AAA

Anyone worried about a slow payment pattern (caused by sick claims processor workers) that might last a few months?

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art

“That is reminiscent of Harry Truman’s famous saying, ‘The buck stops, uh, somewhere over there, maybe?' That is a level of dodging responsibility that Trump has been perfecting ever since he was very much not in Vietnam.” -- LWTwJO
Old 03-24-2020, 01:19 PM
SOA

That's a fair concern. Anecdotally I've noticed delays in ASO/TPA responses and deliverables
Old 03-24-2020, 01:45 PM
SOA

Studying for GHSPC
College: Luther College BA, University of Oregon MS

Our Medicare inpatient census counts (in the PNW / Mountain West) are still looking normal as of this morning, though I'm expecting the shoe to drop within the next week. Suspect that any COVID-related increases are currently being masked by decreases in elective procedures. I don't think we'll make much of a COVID-related adjustment to our March reserves, but April onwards will be messy.
Old 04-02-2020, 09:34 AM
SOA AAA

I'm seeing ~40% drops in utilization for outpatient visits, inpatient visits (with exception of ICU and maternity), and ED visits, all based on real-time data over the past 3 weeks. Hospital utilization is plummeting...

Tags
ibnr coronavirus covid-19