Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Sports
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 03-26-2014, 04:55 PM
SOA

Default Dancran's newbie golf thread

Hey NAT, Recently went to a driving range with a buddy and had a good time learning some of the basic techniques behind golfing. I had gone several times before, but never really tried to improve and learn I guess. Even though I've never even been actual golfing before, I don't think it would be a waste to invest in a basic set of beginner clubs, since they should hopefully last a while and I can see myself playing a couple times a year. From what I've read today, there are a ton of options in regards to what clubs you can buy, what they are made of, how some are easier to hit than others, etc. So, that got me interested in hearing what other people have done when first getting into golfing.

Some questions I have are:
What is the normal way to buy a set of clubs? - do you buy all 13/14 clubs at once in a big package or do people normally buy an iron set+wedges then individually select driver,woods,hybrids,putter?

Should I go to a store, order online, or both? - when ordering clubs, can you have the clubs tailored to your height, or are some clubs just bigger than others? I'm 6'2-6'3 and when I tried my buddies clubs they were shorter than what felt really comfortable.

What did you learn from buying your first set of clubs?

As a complete novice I'm not looking for top of the line stuff, but just a general, basic set of clubs that will hopefully last a while. Any advice or input is welcome. I'm not that knowledgable of everything yet, but have been reading a good amount over the last couple days.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:00 PM

Studying for Nope
Favorite beer: Yep

Buy a used set, most used sporting goods stores will have some. You need, not many clubs, I'd say metals, 5, and 9, woods, 3, and a putter will get you by. Expand to a driver, and a metal 3, and a chipper or whatever when you feel like you're going to play more than once a blue moon.

When you're new, it's not the clubs holding you back, it's your skill.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:02 PM
SOA

If you're under 40 switch to a sport that requires skill.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:04 PM

Studying for Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the North View Post
If you're under 40 switch to a sport that requires skill.
whether you enjoy golf or not it's pretty silly to say it doesn't require skill.

It doesn't require that much physical prowess, is that what you're referring to? Like, say ping pong, you don't need to be strong or in great shape to play ping pong, but, certainly it requires skill.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:05 PM
SOA

So save that money from golf clubs and buy a basketball with some sweet shoes. Then school 10 year olds until they cry.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:10 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikelfritz View Post
whether you enjoy golf or not it's pretty silly to say it doesn't require skill.

It doesn't require that much physical prowess, is that what you're referring to? Like, say ping pong, you don't need to be strong or in great shape to play ping pong, but, certainly it requires skill.
You're right. It requires precision and patience. So does every other sport, but most of the other sports make you more athletic as you practice.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:10 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by snikelfritz View Post
Buy a used set, most used sporting goods stores will have some. You need, not many clubs, I'd say metals, 5, and 9, woods, 3, and a putter will get you by. Expand to a driver, and a metal 3, and a chipper or whatever when you feel like you're going to play more than once a blue moon.

When you're new, it's not the clubs holding you back, it's your skill.
So you are recommending just buying a couple used individual clubs to start with rather than a set of clubs by the same maker?

I can definitely see how that makes sense, although I'm not particularly frugal about it and don't mind being a little inefficient with how I buy the clubs. I certainly don't expect to drastically impove once I buy some clubs, because as I mention I haven't even done a round of golf before.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:18 PM

Studying for Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by dancran1220 View Post
So you are recommending just buying a couple used individual clubs to start with rather than a set of clubs by the same maker?

I can definitely see how that makes sense, although I'm not particularly frugal about it and don't mind being a little inefficient with how I buy the clubs. I certainly don't expect to drastically impove once I buy some clubs, because as I mention I haven't even done a round of golf before.
See what you can find at a used sporting goods store. You certainly don't need all of the say metal 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, you can skip some. If you really get into it you'll want to get some nice clubs, but that's probably a few years out. I don't golf much so may not be the best to chime in, All the right height will be important for you, so getting a partial set for your size is probably a good way to go. Again, I'm strongly suggesting you buy used. Also, get a whole bunch of balls, be willing to lose them without a second thought (so, probably cheap), you'll need to be willing to lose like 4 or 5 a round to start. There's nothing worse than someone who slows everybody down looking for a ball.

Playing bad doesn't matter, because you can play bad quickly, it's obsessing over finding balls that will really slow you down.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:19 PM

Studying for Nope

Quote:
Originally Posted by King of the North View Post
You're right. It requires precision and patience. So does every other sport, but most of the other sports make you more athletic as you practice.
Fair, for the elderly as you say it's not bad for them to just get outside and walk around. But, for the young it's not doing that much for you, although, it helps if you carry your own clubs (and carry carry, no rolling thingy for them).
Old 03-26-2014, 05:21 PM
SOA

Studying for FAC

If it were me, I'd go to a golf store that has a net, and swing a variety of different sets.

See which ones feel best to you.

What you "need" (according to me) in a beginner set:
1 Wood
3 Wood
hybrid iron (like a 3 or 4 iron)
5 iron
7 iron
8 iron
9 iron
PW
putter

Also, buy a set that is made for your height.
You successfully played "just the tip?" Ive always ended up losing