Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Sports
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Old 03-26-2014, 05:29 PM
SOA

College: Caltech, Class of 2000

You can start out with just a handful of clubs to start:

5 iron
8 iron
PW
SW
Putter

I wouldn't even bother with woods since you're just starting out. Once you can hit the 5 iron consistently you can think about hitting woods. That won't happen for several months.

As for quality of clubs, get the real cheap ones.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:32 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by trondogss View Post
If it were me, I'd go to a golf store that has a net, and swing a variety of different sets.

See which ones feel best to you.

What you "need" (according to me) in a beginner set:
1 Wood
3 Wood
hybrid iron (like a 3 or 4 iron)
5 iron
7 iron
8 iron
9 iron
PW
putter

Also, buy a set that is made for your height.
Thanks for the input, I'll definitely keep tabs on the height. My only concern is that I doubt I would really be able to tell much of a difference between what feels best since I have hardly played at all if I went to a store.

Also, why skip the 6 iron? I was thinking along your lines of a 1 wood, 3 wood, hybrid, 5 iron and down.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:36 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by DanielSong39 View Post
You can start out with just a handful of clubs to start:

5 iron
8 iron
PW
SW
Putter

I wouldn't even bother with woods since you're just starting out. Once you can hit the 5 iron consistently you can think about hitting woods. That won't happen for several months.

As for quality of clubs, get the real cheap ones.
Hmmm, that is definitely more in line with what snikel said as well. Interesting to see the variation of recommendations. Guess at my stage, it doesn't really matter too much as none of it will make me better.

Are sets of clubs usually cheaper than picking out individual clubs of the same make? Like if I got a combination set of 5-9 irons, PW, and SW, would that be cheaper than individually picking out a 5,7,9,PW,SW of the same set in some cases? I don't know how pricing is done on sets.
Old 03-26-2014, 05:40 PM
SOA AAA

Try the thrift store. Or Craig's List. Don't spend too much on a "beginner" (i.e., your first) set. Make sure you actually like the sport, which might take two or three years of extreme aggravation.

The grip is important enough to have whatever you buy redone. so, when looking, don't worry too much about grips.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art

“That is reminiscent of Harry Truman’s famous saying, ‘The buck stops, uh, somewhere over there, maybe?' That is a level of dodging responsibility that Trump has been perfecting ever since he was very much not in Vietnam.” -- LWTwJO
Old 03-26-2014, 05:42 PM

Favorite beer: BBC Bourbon Stout

May not be as cheap, but you can go to a Dick's or other sporting goods store and get a decent starter set, including bag, for $150-200 on sale (maybe under $200 regular price even). That'll take the hassle out of having to buy individual clubs at a thrift store. You'd pay that much on your first few rounds anyway.

Last edited by Chief Petosky; 03-26-2014 at 05:50 PM..
Old 03-26-2014, 05:44 PM
Official AO Ninja

Studying for my next eye exam
Favorite beer: Guinness - because it's color of ninjas. And delicious.

definitely get matching clubs... or at least make sure the irons match each other and the woods match each other. It will help with consistency. trondoggs has a pretty good list for a bare minimum set, but there's no harm in getting a full set if you intend to keep it for a long time. Definitely look for oversized irons that will be really forgiving on mishits. As for the whole kit at once or irons/woods/putter, etc separate, if you find a full kit that you like, go for it. But you're probably limiting your options going that route. Really, the best thing you can do is to go to a golf store, tell the guy what you're looking for and hit a few different sets to see what feels good.

I'm 6'1" and the shafts on all my irons are +1" in length (my woods are standard and I seem to hit them just fine). You're probably looking at the same idea, but again the guy at the golf store will be able to help you more than the internet.

My first set of clubs were my late uncle's, handed down and cut down for length (I was 8). My first new full-size set was a birthday present at 12 or 13 and those lasted me well over 10 years. They could have lasted longer but I decided I made enough money to afford a new set of clubs. Buy quality (without getting stupid... no $1,000 iron sets) and you'll have them for a while.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:38 AM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: the one you're buying me

Craigslist.

Garage sales.

Newspapers (remember them?).
Old 03-27-2014, 08:42 AM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: the one you're buying me

Here's what I did to get somewhat ready to play on a real course. I was 14 years old. My dad gave me a pitching wedge and a bag of balls. He told me to go down to the school yard and just keep hitting the wedges. Keep practicing until they all go in the air, and all travel about the same distance and all go relatively straight.

Then and only then could I bring the 7 iron. Same drill.

Then on to the 5 iron.

Then I was allowed to go to the range and hit 3 woods off the tee. Same drill.

Putting practice was on the living room floor.

I started with:

3W
4I
5I
7I
9I
PW
Put

They are pretty much all I still use today with about a 12 handicap.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:53 AM
SOA AAA

Studying for unpacking boxes
Favorite beer: Bombadier, London Pride, Any Samuel Smith Beer

My first was a starter set from a sporting good store.

My second set was from pinemeadowgolf.com. Clones.
Old 03-27-2014, 08:53 AM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Homebrew

I approved of BG5150's post.

I'd listen to that if you truly want to be a decent golfer. Of course you don't really want to go out and buy 1 club at a time.

personally, I agree with the folks saying you walk into a Dick's or other Golf store with nets that let you try out sets. find one you like at the length you like and purchase it. it's not like you are talking $1000, you should be able to find a set of irons for $200. I'd buy the woods and other stuff later. oh and might as well pick up a decent putter.