Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Sports
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 11-22-2019, 12:17 PM
SOA AAA

Did McLean ever once say he disagreed with what Cherry said immediately after Cherry said it? Or was he not allowed to? Or would old-ass Don Cherry rip him a new one?

Anywho, Kings do not give up a lead in beating Oilers. Carter got his 1000-game stick in pre-game. His wife is smokin' hot.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art

“That is reminiscent of Harry Truman’s famous saying, ‘The buck stops, uh, somewhere over there, maybe?' That is a level of dodging responsibility that Trump has been perfecting ever since he was very much not in Vietnam.” -- LWTwJO
Old 11-22-2019, 12:52 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Wine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Did McLean ever once say he disagreed with what Cherry said immediately after Cherry said it? Or was he not allowed to? Or would old-ass Don Cherry rip him a new one?
No. He did not say that he disagreed during Coaches corner. He just kind of rolled his eyes and tried to wrap it up. He has since said he was wrong not to have spoken up at the time, but I suspect he felt that disclaiming Cherry's comments with him right there would have made him go off even more. (And it probably would have. I don't think there was a good option for McLean.)
Old 11-22-2019, 02:41 PM
SOA AAA

There have probably been several times that he disagreed, and said nothing.

"First, Don Cherry went after pansy wimps that wouldn't fight, and I stayed silent..."

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art

“That is reminiscent of Harry Truman’s famous saying, ‘The buck stops, uh, somewhere over there, maybe?' That is a level of dodging responsibility that Trump has been perfecting ever since he was very much not in Vietnam.” -- LWTwJO
Old 11-25-2019, 01:51 PM
CAS

Studying for Nothing
Favorite beer: Not beer

Bortuzzo: 4 games for cross-checking Viktor Arvidsson. Given the act and his past history, that seems pretty lenient.

Still shocked that the top-3 in the Pacific are Edmonton, Arizona and Vancouver while Vegas is 4th at just over .500 and Calgary is 6th at just under .500. That seems upside-down to me. IMO the Coyotes are riding Kuemper's goaltending (which is going to cool off) and I have no idea how long Edmonton is going to be able to keep riding Draisatl (on pace for 50-101-151) and McDavid (on pace for 57-91-148) while much of the rest of the team largely languishes as usual.

And how the hell did we not discuss Babcock getting the hook in Toronto? I want a job where I can be fairly overrated, get a contract for 8 years and $60 million, fail pretty significantly twice, and still get paid for the rest of that year + 3 more years.
Old 11-25-2019, 02:19 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud View Post

And how the hell did we not discuss Babcock getting the hook in Toronto? I want a job where I can be fairly overrated, get a contract for 8 years and $60 million, fail pretty significantly twice, and still get paid for the rest of that year + 3 more years.
Nothing much to add to your assessment on Babcock except there are rumours he will re-emerge with the new Seattle franchise but they can’t afford to throw quite as many bucks at him that Toronto did?
Old 11-25-2019, 02:49 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
IMO the Coyotes are riding Kuemper's goaltending (which is going to cool off)...
Another goaltender trained in the Kings org that gets tossed away.

Old 11-26-2019, 06:50 PM
SOA AAA

Kings finally steal a lead. A three-goal lead vs Sharks, but lose in the OT.

Old 11-26-2019, 08:56 PM
SOA AAA

College: Western Washington, Colorado-Boulder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr T Non-Fan View Post
Another goaltender trained in the Kings org that gets tossed away.
I'd credit Kuemper to the Wild organization for development - when he left for LA, he was pretty much fully formed.
The opinions of Doctor No do not necessarily represent the opinions of mathematicians or consulting actuaries. Facts cited by Doctor No are not necessarily facts. Find me on Twitter: @NorrisDoug. If you send me a LinkedIn invitation, please let me know who you are (unless it's obvious how I know you).
Old 12-04-2019, 10:28 AM
CAS

Studying for Nothing
Favorite beer: Not beer

3 head coaches gone now: Babcock, then Bill Peters in Calgary, then John Hynes in New Jersey.

Babcock - IMO should have been fired after the playoff loss; his coaching last season was just weird, the team was hot and cold and lost quite a few games in ways that signal "there's a problem here" and he outcoached himself in that playoff series.

Peters - I'll touch on this topic more later.

Hynes - OK, I get the desire to make a change. I just don't know that it fixes anything. I think the Devils are about 3 separate roster pieces crammed together into one roster and they don't fit together. Doesn't help that Cory Schneider's hip went to shit, but I don't see the Devils getting it together without a makeover. I'd also say that Ray Shero probably needs to go, along with their oft-touted "expert of analytics."
Old 12-04-2019, 10:32 AM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Dark Matter

Quote:
3 head coaches gone now: Babcock, then Bill Peters in Calgary, then John Hynes in New Jersey.

Babcock - IMO should have been fired after the playoff loss; his coaching last season was just weird, the team was hot and cold and lost quite a few games in ways that signal "there's a problem here" and he outcoached himself in that playoff series.

Peters - I'll touch on this topic more later.

Hynes - OK, I get the desire to make a change. I just don't know that it fixes anything. I think the Devils are about 3 separate roster pieces crammed together into one roster and they don't fit together. Doesn't help that Cory Schneider's hip went to shit, but I don't see the Devils getting it together without a makeover. I'd also say that Ray Shero probably needs to go, along with their oft-touted "expert of analytics."
Babcock’s reputation in tatters; may be hard for him to get a new gig:

https://www.theglobeandmail.com/spor...ow-a-writeoff/