Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Sports
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 12-04-2019, 10:58 AM
SOA

Yeah, pretty crazy to see how much Babcock's reputation has pummeled.
Old 12-04-2019, 03:25 PM
SOA AAA

Interesting possibility this year: two pairs of teammates all on course for 130 points each.

https://fivethirtyeight.com/features...e-nhl-history/

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art

“That is reminiscent of Harry Truman’s famous saying, ‘The buck stops, uh, somewhere over there, maybe?' That is a level of dodging responsibility that Trump has been perfecting ever since he was very much not in Vietnam.” -- LWTwJO
Old 12-04-2019, 04:28 PM
SOA

Caps crush San Jose last night. Strong performance with San Jose defense whiffing pretty hard on assignments in the first half of the game with some good punishes from the Caps. Vrana having a crazy year, on pace for 40+ goals with great placement on his shots and fantastic speed to make some fast breaks vertically against opponents. Kane was fined today for "elbowing". He delivered a cheap shot to the head of Gudas late in the 3rd and ejected from the game. To me, a Caps fan, it was a butt-end and should have been more harshly penalized. How many players hold their top hand such that it significantly covers the butt-end of their stick? Would think very few, however guess NHL didn't see it that way, but no idea where they see elbowing.
Old 12-04-2019, 05:16 PM
Free Mason

Studying for Let me worry about blank
Favorite beer: Trappistes Rochefort 8

The #1 in each conference last year (Tampa and Calgary) are now both 11th in their respective conferences.
Old 12-04-2019, 06:23 PM
SOA

I don't know anything at all about TBL's advanced stats this year, but presumably with much of their talent retained this year they have a good chance to turn it around in the second half of the year. Only a game or two from wild card spot right now. If they don't make the playoffs, wowza will that be a crazy story. However, sometimes a struggle of a season and going full blast down to the wire of the regular season can make it easier to maintain a consistent level of play through the playoffs (see Caps 2 years ago vs their President's Cup seasons).

Sorry Ducky, don't know almost anything about the Flames season this year. What are your thoughts for why they aren't near the top of the West this season?
Old 12-04-2019, 06:40 PM
Free Mason

They rely on 5-7 players all of whom seem to be doing badly for some reason. To get to #1 they were all top form. Then they were sort of average form at the end of the season and playoffs, and now they are well off even normal.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:08 PM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDucky View Post
They rely on 5-7 players all of whom seem to be doing badly for some reason. To get to #1 they were all top form. Then they were sort of average form at the end of the season and playoffs, and now they are well off even normal.
At least the other Alberta team is doing well so far but I appreciate that is scant consolation to a Calgary fan.
Old 12-04-2019, 11:36 PM
Free Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooke View Post
At least the other Alberta team is doing well so far but I appreciate that is scant consolation to a Calgary fan.
And they are relying on two players on track for 60 goal 100 assist seasons, while the rest do the typical nothing. Will that last?
Old 12-05-2019, 12:47 AM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Dark Matter

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDucky View Post
And they are relying on two players on track for 60 goal 100 assist seasons, while the rest do the typical nothing. Will that last?
I think Edmonton will fade but probably still make the playoffs.

I am fairly optimistic about the Canucks this season as they have been rebuilding steadily over the past few years and now have a good young team. They should make the playoffs this year for the first time since 2015.
Old 12-10-2019, 06:04 PM
aadeeikklllMMPrSuzzz
CAS

Taking guesses for why Jim Montgomery got fired. It's because he did something, but it's not illegal, and it doesn't involve any other Dallas player or employee.
Aaaaaaaah!/Academy Of Muses/Age of Shadows/Among The Living/Brigsby Bear/Chained For Life/The Challenge/The Field Guide to Evil/Hacksaw Ridge/Housewife/The Innocents/It/Journeyman/Mohawk/My Happy Family/Nostalgia/The Party/Paul Verhoeven's Tricked/Profile/Puzzle/Share/Silence/State Like Sleep