Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson Global Actuarial & Analytics Recruitment
Download our Actuarial Salary Survey
now with state-by-state salary information!

Old 03-10-2020, 11:42 AM
SOA

Studying for CPD - and nuttin' else!
College: Swigmore U
Favorite beer: Guinness

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
i wash my hands more often for a longer period of time, that's it so far.
Old 03-10-2020, 11:43 AM
CAS SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Itas View Post
Did you try to sell your Liverpool tickets? Seems like you could get some of your money back there. Depending on the date it's possible it will be played without fans and then you should be able to get all your money back or a future ticket.
Its on March 16th (vs Everton. Was moved from March 14th)

I can't resell the tickets as I got them from a season ticket holder (via Stub Hub). You are not allowed to resell it (idiotic policy but what can I do) if you buy them this way.

Its unlikely they will put a clamp down on gatherings by then in the UK as well (which is really the only way I could get a refund)
Old 03-10-2020, 11:43 AM
SOA AAA

There are a lot of minor lifestyle changes that people can make without altering their quality of life. (like washing your hands for 10 seconds longer than you normally do, or trying your best to contain your sneezes.) People should do these things all the time, pandemic or no pandemic. But people don't, because they are lazy.

The challenge arises when you start talking about limiting social interactions or pulling your children out of school. The line becomes very blurry at that point, and I can see both sides of the argument.
Old 03-10-2020, 11:44 AM

Favorite beer: pilseners

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdsafdsa View Post
So, we should do, what you think is right? What authority do you have to know what is or isn't correct?

You're doing something to feel like you have control, nothing more, and it's not going to have any impact on the spread of the virus.

Dgtatum is just more honest than you.
Don't you ever have a sense that you should do something, based on reason and not authority?
Old 03-10-2020, 11:44 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElDucky View Post
It's probably significant to that person.

1 death is a tragedy, a million is a statistic.
We're at 4088.

I think the harm of everyone cutting themselves off from society for months is greater than the benefit of slowing the spread at this point, until local health authorities themselves indicate otherwise.
Old 03-10-2020, 11:45 AM

Quote:
When local public health authorities tell me limit social interaction, I'll follow the guidance. I see absolutely no reason to do that before someone with better information than me indicates it's a good idea.
Isn't this just a form of appeal to authority fallacy? You're putting a lot of faith into the authorities to make the right decisions and recommendations. It's your health potentially at risk, not necessarily theirs.

I'm also unsure how you deal with conflicting guidance where some may tell you to avoid crowds altogether and others may tell you the "risk to the general public is currently low" and leave it at that.
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
Don't you ever have a sense that you should do something, based on reason and not authority?
You're reasoning is based solely on wanting to do something because you don't like feeling out of control of the situation.

I'm willing to accept this is outside my control.

That's the only difference between us.
Official AO Grill Master
SOA

Studying for :lol:
Favorite beer: Yes

Quote:
Originally Posted by yoyo View Post
i wash my hands more often for a longer period of time, that's it so far.
CAS SOA

Quote:
As of today, in North America, public health authorities are not suggesting that people take significant steps to impact how quickly they may spread the virus.

So who gets to decide what the "right" and "wrong" action are to take? And do they get to impose that choice on others full of moral judgement?
You have an actual functioning brain no?

As an Actuary, you should understand the value of informing yourself and taking preventive action.
Old 03-10-2020, 11:46 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSPAN View Post
Isn't this just a form of appeal to authority fallacy? You're putting a lot of faith into the authorities to make the right decisions and recommendations. It's your health potentially at risk, not necessarily theirs.
They're a more reasonable authority to appeal to than some chicken little posters on an internet forum.