Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson International Actuarial Jobs
Canada  Asia  Australia  Bermuda  Latin America  Europe


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #1961  
Old 03-10-2020, 11:47 AM
fdsafdsa's Avatar
fdsafdsa fdsafdsa is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 4,418
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CSPAN View Post
Isn't this just a form of appeal to authority fallacy? You're putting a lot of faith into the authorities to make the right decisions and recommendations. It's your health potentially at risk, not necessarily theirs.

I'm also unsure how you deal with conflicting guidance where some may tell you to avoid crowds altogether and others may tell you the "risk to the general public is currently low" and leave it at that.
Who's telling me to do that in Canada?
__________________
If your grandfather starting raving about buying countries and being the chosen one, at the barest minimum you'd confiscate his car keys.
Reply With Quote
  #1962  
Old 03-10-2020, 11:47 AM
Sredni Vashtar's Avatar
Sredni Vashtar Sredni Vashtar is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Favorite beer: pilseners
Posts: 9,959
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdsafdsa View Post
You're reasoning is based solely on wanting to do something because you don't like feeling out of control of the situation.

I'm willing to accept this is outside my control.

That's the only difference between us.
No. My reasoning is based on reason. If you want I can explain it more thoroughly. It's not very complicated or anything.

You just seem very committed to the idea that its impossible to logic out moral decisions.
__________________
L’humour est la politesse du désespoir
Reply With Quote
  #1963  
Old 03-10-2020, 11:48 AM
fdsafdsa's Avatar
fdsafdsa fdsafdsa is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 4,418
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Polymath View Post
You have an actual functioning brain no?

As an Actuary, you should understand the value of informing yourself and taking preventive action.
I'm balancing the risk and reward instead of panicking.

As someone who claims to have a functioning brain I'm kind of surprised you'd need this to be pointed out to you.
__________________
If your grandfather starting raving about buying countries and being the chosen one, at the barest minimum you'd confiscate his car keys.
Reply With Quote
  #1964  
Old 03-10-2020, 11:50 AM
fdsafdsa's Avatar
fdsafdsa fdsafdsa is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 4,418
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
No. My reasoning is based on reason. If you want I can explain it more thoroughly. It's not very complicated or anything.

You just seem very committed to the idea that its impossible to logic out moral decisions.
No I disagree with the conclusions you've come to based on the data available.

You're acting based on emotion not logic, you feel afraid because this is new and outside you're control, so you want to do something, anything, to feel back in control. So you're doing things you want to do anyway.
__________________
If your grandfather starting raving about buying countries and being the chosen one, at the barest minimum you'd confiscate his car keys.
Reply With Quote
  #1965  
Old 03-10-2020, 11:53 AM
Sredni Vashtar's Avatar
Sredni Vashtar Sredni Vashtar is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Favorite beer: pilseners
Posts: 9,959
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdsafdsa View Post
No I disagree with the conclusions you've come to based on the data available.

You're acting based on emotion not logic, you feel afraid because this is new and outside you're control, so you want to do something, anything, to feel back in control. So you're doing things you want to do anyway.
I'm don't think you've understood me at all. Feel free to pose a counter-argument though, based on data.
__________________
L’humour est la politesse du désespoir
Reply With Quote
  #1966  
Old 03-10-2020, 11:55 AM
fdsafdsa's Avatar
fdsafdsa fdsafdsa is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 4,418
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
I'm don't think you've understood me at all. Feel free to pose a counter-argument though, based on data.
I think I understand the motivation behind your actions better than you do.
__________________
If your grandfather starting raving about buying countries and being the chosen one, at the barest minimum you'd confiscate his car keys.
Reply With Quote
  #1967  
Old 03-10-2020, 11:55 AM
The_Polymath The_Polymath is offline
Member
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 3,314
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdsafdsa View Post
I'm balancing the risk and reward instead of panicking.

As someone who claims to have a functioning brain I'm kind of surprised you'd need this to be pointed out to you.
I understand how pandemics work.

I have studied and used pandemic calibrations in risk-based capital models.

And reducing virus propagation is incredibly important to reduce the peak of the load on the healthcare system.

What you fail to realise is that by the time the information comes from the Govt to go into self-quarantine, it is already too late. Community transmission is already high.

Your individual actions on the margins x millions of people lead to that.

How do you not see this?
Reply With Quote
  #1968  
Old 03-10-2020, 11:56 AM
fdsafdsa's Avatar
fdsafdsa fdsafdsa is offline
Member
SOA
 
Join Date: Mar 2018
Posts: 4,418
Default

Here's my data, Canada has been testing extensively, has ~40 million people, and 77 confirmed cases, all of which have been linked to foreign travel. So, I'm going to keep living my life.
__________________
If your grandfather starting raving about buying countries and being the chosen one, at the barest minimum you'd confiscate his car keys.
Reply With Quote
  #1969  
Old 03-10-2020, 11:56 AM
Sredni Vashtar's Avatar
Sredni Vashtar Sredni Vashtar is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2010
Favorite beer: pilseners
Posts: 9,959
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdsafdsa View Post
I think I understand the motivation behind your actions better than you do.
You are jumping to my motives before taking the time understanding my argument.

I'm not attacking you, so maybe chill out.
__________________
L’humour est la politesse du désespoir
Reply With Quote
  #1970  
Old 03-10-2020, 11:57 AM
Chronus's Avatar
Chronus Chronus is online now
Member
 
Join Date: Sep 2008
Posts: 11,368
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by fdsafdsa View Post
We're at 4088.

I think the harm of everyone cutting themselves off from society for months is greater than the benefit of slowing the spread at this point, until local health authorities themselves indicate otherwise.
Who is telling you to cut yourself off from society for months? We are just saying wash your hand, don't go on a cruise, and stay home if you start to feel sick.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 04:10 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.27497 seconds with 12 queries