Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > SoA > EA Exams
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 07-23-2019, 12:12 PM
SOA

College: University of Michigan Alumni

Do we know how soon the passing percentages and passing candidate names will be posted? Also, if it helps with determining the pass rate: I got a 7 with 74 points using the current version of the answer key.

(ao_Fan --- you can request your answer key directly from the IRS. There are instructions on the bottom of this page: https://www.irs.gov/tax-professional...nation-program)
Old 07-23-2019, 12:22 PM

Studying for EA-2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by trsknapp View Post
Do we know how soon the passing percentages and passing candidate names will be posted? Also, if it helps with determining the pass rate: I got a 7 with 74 points using the current version of the answer key.

(ao_Fan --- you can request your answer key directly from the IRS. There are instructions on the bottom of this page: https://www.irs.gov/tax-professional...nation-program)
thanks, maybe i'll do that. I suspect we will already know what the pass score was by the time I receive it though.

it looks like the pass percentages and names for the exams that were released 7/12 got posted on 7/19, so maybe the exams that were released on 7/19 would have those posted on 7/26.

Does the joint board also release the number right to pass so we aren't just guessing?
Spoiler:
Old 07-24-2019, 12:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by trsknapp View Post

The SOA typically releases the list of passing candidate names and the exam statistics (number/percentage passing) on the Friday following the grade release. So that would be this coming Friday. The passing scores are never released, though. I believe that in the past the SOA has given people that information over the phone if they call and ask (that is, how many points it took to pass). Until the Joint Board releases a revised answer key (if they made any changes), it is unlikely that the SOA would have any information about that.

We can figure out the pass mark if we get enough data from those who took the exam about what there score was (6, 7, etc.) and how many points they got. But without knowing yet whether the Joint Board changed any answers, we can't really do anything with that information.
Old 07-25-2019, 11:53 AM

Studying for EA-2L

I requested my answer sheet and they said to request it again after August 1.

I am a little curious what my raw score is.
Spoiler:
Old 07-26-2019, 01:36 PM

Studying for EA-2L

so I took this exam several times previously starting in 2002. the 2002 pass mark was 47%!!!!!! and the pass percent was 32.6%. in what universe is that a fair exam? it seems like people who passed likely guessed their way to a 6. that was the worst of the sittings, but some of the others weren't so great either. seems like they improved this exam with the pass mark being on or around 70 now and the questions more reasonable.

happy to have finally passed this thing, but I think it was just a bad exam in the past.
Spoiler:

Last edited by ao fan; 07-26-2019 at 10:27 PM..
Old 07-26-2019, 09:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
so I took this exam several times previously starting in 2002. the 2002 pass mark was 47%!!!!!! and the pass percent was 32.6%. in what universe is that a fair exam? it seems like people who passed likely guessed their way to a 6. that was the worst of the sittings, but some of the others weren't so great either. seems like they improved this exam with the pass percent being on or around 70 now and the questions more reasonable.

happy to have finally passed this thing, but I think it was just a bad exam in the past.
The exams went through a restructuring in 2001. Those first few exams in the early 2000s (EA-2B at the time) were very difficult, because they had a lot of 4 and 5 point questions that tested too many things in one question. Over time, they were able to figure out how to better write test questions, and the exams improved (and the scores went up).
Old 07-26-2019, 11:19 PM

Studying for EA-2L

Quote:
Originally Posted by davefarber View Post
The exams went through a restructuring in 2001. Those first few exams in the early 2000s (EA-2B at the time) were very difficult, because they had a lot of 4 and 5 point questions that tested too many things in one question. Over time, they were able to figure out how to better write test questions, and the exams improved (and the scores went up).
I feel like I need to tell people who were like me and gave up on this exam back in the early years and happen to still be in pensions that they should give it another shot like I did. I had no idea that it had become more reasonable until I started studying for it. I did wonder why though when I saw that my coworkers seemed to be passing at a much higher rate than they used to.

It's such a different exam now.
Spoiler:
Old 08-02-2019, 10:46 AM
SOA AAA

College: UF Go Gators!
Favorite beer: On Nitro

Did anyone get their answer sheet yet?
Old 08-02-2019, 11:13 AM
SOA

I requested mine this morning. It looks like I scored an 87. I did lose points on questions 12 and 42, however. Maybe my true score is 91. I'm not sure it matters at this point, but I received a 9.
Old 08-02-2019, 12:32 PM

Studying for EA-2L

I scored 69% without those 2 corrections and a 73% with those corrections and got a 6.

This makes me really glad I didn't store my answers after the exam. I would have been going insane thinking I got 69% when the historical pass mark has been 70%. guessing based on this that at least one of those 2 questions might have been thrown out or they accepted both answers or there was a typo in the answer key, otherwise I think I would have gotten a 5 with 69%. Also grateful to everyone who wrote to the joint board with these corrections!
Spoiler:

Last edited by ao fan; 08-02-2019 at 02:01 PM..