Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 09-12-2019, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afac_8 View Post
The employer sometimes get mad and say that they thought that I would accept and that I am irresponsible and that I will never work in the industry.
I don't know your country or what actual conversations have been, so hard to comment intelligently on any of the other comments, so I'll just respond to this (quoted) part.

I also have had companies that say stupid things about how sorry I'll be if I don't do what they think I should do. Telling you that you'll never work in the industry is particularly amusing - remind me why they're so upset again? Oh, right, because you're so desirable as an employee that they really really want you working for them. lolz
Old 09-13-2019, 09:46 AM
Non-Actuary

Studying for C4
College: Chambana
Favorite beer: Whatever you buy me

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
I had a boss once who said they'd never be certain that someone really accepted the job until the "employee" showed up for the first day. A lot can happen between accepting a job and the actual start date.
I once worked at a place and we had a new person starting on Monday morning. By mid-morning we were all slightly confused. Buried in someone's emails was a note from the new hire indicating they were offered another position which they were taking instead.

I got some of the swag they give the new hires though, so that was cool.
Old 09-13-2019, 10:55 AM
Non-Actuary

College: Angelo State University

I don't get how employers can be upset if you say you have decided to take another offer. Did you give the other company a chance to match/beat whatever it is you were offered or discuss what it is that made you change your mind? If you didn't, then I can see being slightly annoyed, but even then it's your choice ultimately in the end and you don't owe anything (although leaving bridges unburned and good rapport is always a good idea imo).
Old 09-13-2019, 11:45 AM
CAS

This probably varies significantly by country. As other mentioned, in the US there is at-will employment and norms may be different than in other countries.

Although intuitively it seems like you shouldn't have any obligation until you sign the contract.
Old 09-13-2019, 12:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lllj View Post
Although intuitively it seems like you shouldn't have any obligation until you sign the contract.
Yeah, from a US perspective, it's ridiculous to have a contract and then act like you had an obligation before the contract was signed - that's what the contract is for. If you wanted me so badly that you assumed I'd be joining, you should have just offered me the contract then.
Old 09-15-2019, 03:11 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruteForce View Post
I had a boss once who said they'd never be certain that someone really accepted the job until the "employee" showed up for the first day. A lot can happen between accepting a job and the actual start date.
This kinda goes both ways though. If the employee accepts the offer and has resigned from his/her current position expecting to start for the new company, what guarantee is there that the offer won't get rescinded at some point, especially if there is a period of a few weeks between when the offer was accepted and the start date? This situation more negatively affects the employee (they are out of a job) vs the company who can just find someone else.

I'm wondering if anyone has ever seen this happen? Asking for a friend.
Old 09-15-2019, 03:16 PM

Have seen that happen when a company is in meltdown (think Andersen post-Enron, or AIG 2008). It's extremely rare (in the US) otherwise. Can't say I've ever seen it.

Many people had offers from Andersen and the company backed out - which ended up being a favor, as it was really just advance notice on the fact that there was not going to be a job available for them.
Old 09-16-2019, 02:27 PM

Favorite beer: Budweiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Westley View Post
Have seen that happen when a company is in meltdown (think Andersen post-Enron, or AIG 2008). It's extremely rare (in the US) otherwise. Can't say I've ever seen it.

Many people had offers from Andersen and the company backed out - which ended up being a favor, as it was really just advance notice on the fact that there was not going to be a job available for them.
Yes, that was a tough time for entry level jobs, and I think just as bad as 2008. Two of my roommates were expected to start at Arthur Andersen and Accenture, and both had their offers rescinded between December and May graduation.

Tags
ethics, etiquette, interview, interview etiquette, job