Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #25761  
Old 07-03-2020, 06:40 PM
whoanonstop's Avatar
whoanonstop whoanonstop is offline
Member
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Aug 2013
Location: Los Angeles, CA
Studying for Spark / Scala
College: College of William and Mary
Favorite beer: Orange Juice
Posts: 5,970
Blog Entries: 1
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueblade View Post
Having only played bloodborne for 1 hour and gave up, can't even imagine games like DS or Sekiro. You guys must have superhuman reflexes or something.
While I think reflexes help, I think DS-esque games throw people off as most are use to just running in, smashing all the buttons, and coming out the victor.

However, I think the focus is more on playing defensive and watching your enemy, instead of guns blazing. I don't blame you for wanting to put it down though, it can be hella stressful.

-Riley
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #25762  
Old 07-05-2020, 06:45 PM
Poley McPoleface's Avatar
Poley McPoleface Poley McPoleface is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 322
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polak View Post
The Last of Us is the greatest game ever created.
The Last of Us 2 is the greatest game ever created.

Seriously just... oh my God.
Reply With Quote
  #25763  
Old 07-06-2020, 08:41 AM
Poley McPoleface's Avatar
Poley McPoleface Poley McPoleface is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 322
Default

Alright first night of trying to sleep after finishing TLOU2 didn't work out. I think I have permanent high blood pressure now. I've played some stressful games but not like this, this was brutal. TLOU2 takes a toll on you.

Normally when I love a game this much I'd jump in at a higher difficulty for round 2 but I'm not sure I can handle going through that again.
Reply With Quote
  #25764  
Old 07-06-2020, 11:17 AM
therealsylvos's Avatar
therealsylvos therealsylvos is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 17,810
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by whoanonstop View Post
While I think reflexes help, I think DS-esque games throw people off as most are use to just running in, smashing all the buttons, and coming out the victor.

However, I think the focus is more on playing defensive and watching your enemy, instead of guns blazing. I don't blame you for wanting to put it down though, it can be hella stressful.

-Riley
Agreed, BB, and DS even moreso, are not so much about reflexes but about patience. Dying is part of the experience. You are supposed to die, learn from it, and incorporate it. DS in particular you move quite slowly. The way you win is by learning to read enemy animations and how to react/punish them, then patiently waiting for your opportunity.

Sekiro is perhaps more "reflex" oriented, but it's still the same principle. The difference is there is more focus on actively creating your own opportunities without leaving yourself too exposed.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
i like laying in the tube and pretending that i'm dead.

Last edited by therealsylvos; 07-06-2020 at 11:24 AM..
Reply With Quote
  #25765  
Old 07-06-2020, 11:31 AM
act_123 act_123 is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Dec 2013
Posts: 5,282
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poley McPoleface View Post
Alright first night of trying to sleep after finishing TLOU2 didn't work out. I think I have permanent high blood pressure now. I've played some stressful games but not like this, this was brutal. TLOU2 takes a toll on you.

Normally when I love a game this much I'd jump in at a higher difficulty for round 2 but I'm not sure I can handle going through that again.
So you aren't going to review bomb it? Did you like the story? Or just the gameplay.
__________________
ACAS 7 8 9
Reply With Quote
  #25766  
Old 07-06-2020, 12:59 PM
Poley McPoleface's Avatar
Poley McPoleface Poley McPoleface is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 322
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by act_123 View Post
So you aren't going to review bomb it? Did you like the story? Or just the gameplay.
Loved both, once I got going I couldn't put it down and had a hard time sleeping because I wanted to know what would happen.

As far as online reviews, I read a lot of them after playing and frankly it made me disgusted by people. About half of them are straight bigoted and it's clear a majority didn't play past the first couple hours, if they even played at all. It had tens of thousands of reviews within 24 hours of release, those people couldn't have possibly finished the game. Hell it's unlikely they played past the first half, it took me like 40 hours of play time to finish.

In short, ignore the audience rating. It was clearly review bombed by a bunch of awful people immediately at release.
Reply With Quote
  #25767  
Old 07-06-2020, 01:28 PM
therealsylvos's Avatar
therealsylvos therealsylvos is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 17,810
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poley McPoleface View Post
Loved both, once I got going I couldn't put it down and had a hard time sleeping because I wanted to know what would happen.

As far as online reviews, I read a lot of them after playing and frankly it made me disgusted by people. About half of them are straight bigoted and it's clear a majority didn't play past the first couple hours, if they even played at all. It had tens of thousands of reviews within 24 hours of release, those people couldn't have possibly finished the game. Hell it's unlikely they played past the first half, it took me like 40 hours of play time to finish.

In short, ignore the audience rating. It was clearly review bombed by a bunch of awful people immediately at release.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I7OcL8j6rhk
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
i like laying in the tube and pretending that i'm dead.
Reply With Quote
  #25768  
Old 07-06-2020, 02:04 PM
Poley McPoleface's Avatar
Poley McPoleface Poley McPoleface is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Feb 2019
Posts: 322
Default

yeah that about covers it, thanks for that. It's interesting looking at reviews and seeing an obvious upward trend. More recent reviews are positive but as you go back the closer you are to release date the more negative the reviews are.

If you haven't played a game you shouldn't review it, that's just stupid.
Reply With Quote
  #25769  
Old 07-07-2020, 01:18 AM
AbedNadir's Avatar
AbedNadir AbedNadir is offline
Member
CAS SOA
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Studying for FCAS
Posts: 2,878
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealsylvos View Post
Now that I'm done work, time to get my ass kicked by Lady Butterfly for the next while...
i'm stuck on genichiro when he transforms into that third lightning form thingy, but finished most other bosses up to this point. It's really satisfying to figure out blocking patterns to beat bosses, my favorite was that dojo guy who strikes multiple times with a sword
__________________
Reply With Quote
  #25770  
Old 07-07-2020, 10:27 AM
therealsylvos's Avatar
therealsylvos therealsylvos is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 17,810
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by AbedNadir View Post
i'm stuck on genichiro when he transforms into that third lightning form thingy, but finished most other bosses up to this point. It's really satisfying to figure out blocking patterns to beat bosses, my favorite was that dojo guy who strikes multiple times with a sword
Just beat genichiro last night lol. Yea I was so pumped when I killed him the second time, but I was out of heals and resurrects, and I see another cut scene and I'm like "oh ****, not a third phase." And died very quickly.

I took a bit of break fighting some mini-bosses to increase my health and finding another gourd seed. Then I went back to grinding him so that I could get through his first phase with minimal damage, take some damage and use a ressurect right before I killed him in the second phase (so I would have a ressurect in the third phase). And then when I finally got to the third phase again I actually killed him on the second try (needed the last res though).

For the third phase you can mikiri counter his leaping parilous attack, and also the lightning reversal is key. There's a loading screen tip about it. But basically if he's gonna hit you with lightning, you can jump in the air, and once you get hit, you can send it back to him with your regular attack. It does a ton of damage to him and paralyzes him so you can get even more damage in
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
i like laying in the tube and pretending that i'm dead.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, real analysis = real men, switch, vita, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 10:23 PM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 1.03113 seconds with 12 queries