Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Software & Technology
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Old 06-02-2020, 02:42 PM

I'm not going to go for the platinum of FF7 Remake. I have max level characters, and tried the first chapter. It's so boring. The fights just feel arbitrarily longer. I already thought the last two chapters went on too long on normal, no desire to do that on hard. Going to stick with the enjoyment I had instead of ruining the game (and the free time I would use) to do something I'm not enjoying.

Next up on PS4 is either Octodad or Destiny 2 DLC.

Not sure which I'm feeling yet. I have played about 15 hours of Witcher 3 on Xbox and it's still so intimidatingly big. Started playing DMC: Devil May Cry again. Still a great game and the best in the series. My Xbox backlog is almost all big games, RDR2, ME: Andromeda and LA Noire on the list.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:44 PM
CAS SOA AAA

Studying for Done, bois!
College: UConn
Favorite beer: Barq's or Mug, or any local Root Beer with caffeine

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
Do you use a controller or a mouse?

It's quite a huge difference for me.

A mouse makes me feel "in" the game (even if I suck) A controller makes me feel like I'm awkwardly telling some dude to do stuff.

I haven't played any VR since covid hit, but my brief foray into fallout 4 VR was like 1st person x10.
I generally play on console, so controller. But even when I play on PC I generally use a controller. It wasn't until WoW, which I only started playing when classic released, that I learned to play WASD/mouse/etc.

I have played PSVR a bunch, and the first person perspective doesn't bother me in there. Not sure why, maybe because it's so immersive that first person makes sense to my brain? When I first got PSVR I played the Batman game, and I distinctly remember setting my controller on the Bat Computer, and being shocked when it fell on the floor, because I really thought it was there. So maybe non-VR is fake enough that my brain just can't handle it.

The Witness is a perfect example -- I love the creator, and his other games, but couldn't get into this game because of the perspective. I just struggled to keep track of where my body was, but I struggled through because I liked the game so much. Then I let my daughter try, and literally within 30 seconds I was nauseated. I couldn't watch a first person game, with no tactile sense of the motion without getting extreme motion sickness. And I haven't been able to go back to that game since. I do think the brightness and the colorful world contributed as well. I suffer from migraines, not tons, but once every month or two, and the feeling watching her was like a really bad migraine. And the brightness, combined with the motion sickness was instant migraine. When I do get migraines, I'm very photosensitive, so I totally get that this is just an Arroway problem, not a normal person problem.

All opinions are either my own, or made up for dramatic and/or comedic effect.

Old 06-02-2020, 06:47 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wizard of Awe View Post

Not sure which I'm feeling yet. I have played about 15 hours of Witcher 3 on Xbox and it's still so intimidatingly big. Started playing DMC: Devil May Cry again. Still a great game and the best in the series. My Xbox backlog is almost all big games, RDR2, ME: Andromeda and LA Noire on the list.
Oooh that reminds me to add this to my steam wishlist.
Old 06-02-2020, 06:49 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sredni Vashtar View Post
Do you use a controller or a mouse?

It's quite a huge difference for me.

A mouse makes me feel "in" the game (even if I suck) A controller makes me feel like I'm awkwardly telling some dude to do stuff.

I haven't played any VR since covid hit, but my brief foray into fallout 4 VR was like 1st person x10.
I'm the opposite. It won't stop me from playing a game but I'll usually prefer controller unless there's no aim assist.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:23 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for Nothing ever again!
Favorite beer: Bourbon

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arroway View Post
I generally play on console, so controller. But even when I play on PC I generally use a controller. It wasn't until WoW, which I only started playing when classic released, that I learned to play WASD/mouse/etc.

I have played PSVR a bunch, and the first person perspective doesn't bother me in there. Not sure why, maybe because it's so immersive that first person makes sense to my brain? When I first got PSVR I played the Batman game, and I distinctly remember setting my controller on the Bat Computer, and being shocked when it fell on the floor, because I really thought it was there. So maybe non-VR is fake enough that my brain just can't handle it.

The Witness is a perfect example -- I love the creator, and his other games, but couldn't get into this game because of the perspective. I just struggled to keep track of where my body was, but I struggled through because I liked the game so much. Then I let my daughter try, and literally within 30 seconds I was nauseated. I couldn't watch a first person game, with no tactile sense of the motion without getting extreme motion sickness. And I haven't been able to go back to that game since. I do think the brightness and the colorful world contributed as well. I suffer from migraines, not tons, but once every month or two, and the feeling watching her was like a really bad migraine. And the brightness, combined with the motion sickness was instant migraine. When I do get migraines, I'm very photosensitive, so I totally get that this is just an Arroway problem, not a normal person problem.
Hey now, I'm a normal person! And I totally get you on this. I'm not usually photosensitive for migraines, but when I am, they're really bad ones. I can do 1st person perspective if the proportions are decent and I'm the one in control, but I totally can't watch other people play that way. It makes me dizzy and I feel disoriented. 3rd person is usually okay, and some games do 3rd person really well.

I've been a bit afraid of VR, due to the migraines and the epilepsy. But I just keep hearing good things about them, so at some point I might have to just give it a go.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:27 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Wizard of Awe View Post
I was... unimpressed... with Andromeda. I'm a big fan of the original ME trilogy, and I'm usually a Bioware fan all around - I love Dragon Age too. But it's always been their story line and their really excellent rich character development that hooked me. And Andromeda just kind of fell flat in that respect. The characters were all just kind of shallow when compared to their previous franchises. But at this point, you can probably get it on the cheap, and it's probably fun as long as you're not going in expecting it to have the same kind of deep personal feeling that the prior ones did.
Old 06-02-2020, 08:39 PM
CAS AAA

Favorite beer: Hefewizen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Helena Lake View Post
I was... unimpressed... with Andromeda. I'm a big fan of the original ME trilogy, and I'm usually a Bioware fan all around - I love Dragon Age too. But it's always been their story line and their really excellent rich character development that hooked me. And Andromeda just kind of fell flat in that respect. The characters were all just kind of shallow when compared to their previous franchises. But at this point, you can probably get it on the cheap, and it's probably fun as long as you're not going in expecting it to have the same kind of deep personal feeling that the prior ones did.
Andromeda I feel the same way as I do about the Solo Star Wars film. It was fine, I might even say that it was aggressively fine.

It wasn't great, it wasn't bad. It was fine.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
Old 06-03-2020, 01:29 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisper View Post
Andromeda I feel the same way as I do about the Solo Star Wars film. It was fine, I might even say that it was aggressively fine.

It wasn't great, it wasn't bad. It was fine.

Sent from my Pixel 3a XL using Tapatalk
"Aggressively Fine" I love that phrase!

What's most telling for me is that I pre-ordered Andromeda and played it as soon as it came out. I haven't re-played it since. I usually tend to replay most of my games.
Old 06-03-2020, 01:41 PM

Andromeda, Dragon Age Inquisition, and Anthem are the 3 games bioware has released after the founders left the company. The huge drop in quality from their prior games is obvious in all of those games.

EA doesn't have the internal talent to build anything internally so other than the annual sports releases just buys studios, rides whatever IP they have for a game or two, then casts the studio into the EA graveyard.
Old 06-03-2020, 03:32 PM
SOA AAA

I was pretty pleased with DA Inquisition. I though it was pretty in keeping with prior DA games, overall. Haven't played Anthem though.

Tags
atari, data science, gaming pc, predictive analytics, ps3, ps4, real analysis = real men, switch, vita, wii, wii u, xbox 360, xbox one