Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

DW Simpson
Actuarial Jobs

Visit our site for the most up to date jobs for actuaries.

Actuarial Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Health, Life, Pension and Non-Tradtional Jobs.

Actuarial Meeting Schedule
Browse this year's meetings and which recruiters will attend.

Contact DW Simpson
Have a question?
Let's talk.
You'll be glad you did.

Old 12-16-2002, 04:28 AM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
SOA AAA

Default Department of Corrections

Here's one from the New York Times, via The Corner at National Review:

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/12/15/ma...ORRECTION.html

Quote:
An article on Nov. 10 about animal rights referred erroneously to an island in the Indian Ocean and to events there involving goats and endangered giant sea sparrows that could possibly lead to the killing of goats by environmental groups. Wrightson Island does not exist; both the island and the events are hypothetical figments from a book (also mentioned in the article), ''Beginning Again,'' by David Ehrenfeld. No giant sea sparrow is known to be endangered by the eating habits of goats.
Old 05-10-2003, 09:34 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
SOA AAA

The mother of all corrections:

http://www.nytimes.com/2003/05/11/na...=all&position=

Quote:
Following is an accounting of the articles in which falsification, plagiarism and similar problems were discovered in a review of articles written by Jayson Blair, a reporter for The New York Times who resigned May 1. The review, conducted by a team of Times reporters and researchers, concentrated on the 73 articles Mr. Blair wrote since late October, when he was given roving national assignments and began covering major news events including the Washington-area sniper attacks and the rescue of Pfc. Jessica D. Lynch. Spot checks of his previous stories also found errors of fact and possible fabrications.

[very long lost of factual errors ranging from minor to major, denied stories, instances of plagiarism, reports filed from places Blair appears never to have visited, etc.]

Readers with information about other articles by Jayson Blair that may be false wholly or in part are asked to e-mail The Times: retrace@nytimes.com.
Old 05-10-2003, 09:58 PM

See what deadline pressure does to a man?

Old 05-10-2003, 10:50 PM

Favorite beer: Beer?! Blech. But Dad likes Dortmunder Union.

or to an IvyPrincess.
EB's rules for AO political: 1. A responder who replies "who cares?", cares deeply. 1a. a responder who replies LMAO, or similar, agrees with me. 2. It's always funnier when EB says it. - Lucy (Whomever she was) 3. Don't assume I'm trying to convince you, or indeed, any Hillary or Bernie supporter. 4. If my posts are so blatantly wrong, why are you so insistent in following me? I'll not take you home! 5. I'm not happy until you're not happy. 6. "You sir are no racist. You seem to condescend to everyone equally. I salute you." - Rain in Africa.

"If you're not annoying somebody, you're not really alive." -- Margaret Atwood
Old 05-11-2003, 09:41 AM
Chief Semiotician, Retired
CAS

Favorite beer: Beer is for closers

Hey, at least he didn't win a Pulitzer for it.
Old 05-11-2003, 09:45 AM
CAS

Nor is he accused of seducing one of his teenage interviewees, like Bob Greene.
Old 05-11-2003, 10:27 AM

Of course that poor seduced teenager waited 14 years before "coming out."

That's what I like about corporate America, no statute of limitations.

Ahh, here we go...
Quote:
Bob Laurence, a writer for the San Diego Union-Tribune, was incredulous. "Something about this story doesn't ring true. Either the Tribune is the most puritanical, self-righteous, sanctimonious, holier-than-thou workplace this side of Dr. Laura's broadcast booth, or there's more happening here than either side is admitting," wrote Laurence on the Jim Romanesko MediaNews forum on the Poynter Institute Web site.

It shows that some of our colleagues don't get it and possibly never will. Every profession greeted the influx of women in the 1960s and 1970s with hostility and hazing rituals, but journalism's response was particularly pernicious in its propagation of a myth of the good old days. You know the drill: Oh, for the days when men were men, and women were secretaries who got chased around the desk or low-level reporters who got stuck covering society galas. Real journalists swore, drank, womanized and occasionally rolled up their sleeves and banged out stories on Remington manual typewriters. The only place to meet a source was in a bar and sexual harassment codes--well, they didn't exist.

The ethics code being invoked to exculpate Greene is no less archaic. It's a pretty minimal standard: Journalists must avoid conflicts of interest. It's a conflict of interest if you sleep with a source. You can write the story or have the affair but you can't do both at the same time.

If you apply that standard, what Greene did back in 1988 is fine and dandy. He met the woman, wrote a column about her, and then commenced the relationship. As far as we know, he never wrote about her again. She was of legal age to give consent and he broke no laws. Ergo, it's nobody's business but Greene's and he has the perfect right to keep cranking out columns deploring the use of profanity around children and the suggestiveness of Madonna concerts.
EB's rules for AO political: 1. A responder who replies "who cares?", cares deeply. 1a. a responder who replies LMAO, or similar, agrees with me. 2. It's always funnier when EB says it. - Lucy (Whomever she was) 3. Don't assume I'm trying to convince you, or indeed, any Hillary or Bernie supporter. 4. If my posts are so blatantly wrong, why are you so insistent in following me? I'll not take you home! 5. I'm not happy until you're not happy. 6. "You sir are no racist. You seem to condescend to everyone equally. I salute you." - Rain in Africa.

Old 05-11-2003, 11:36 AM

Did you know that the smell of a newspaper is addictive?
Old 05-11-2003, 04:33 PM
CAS

An odd sort of relativism from you, EB. No laws or strict ethical codes broken? Hey, no problem! So what if a writer who spent his career writing about good old American values and breaches of morality turned out to be cheating on his wife (family)?

Bill Bennett would roll over in his (recently dug) grave, if he weren't so preoccupied with going cold turkey.
Old 05-11-2003, 05:09 PM

It has to do with the passage of time, and the relative inconsequence of the action.

Are we supposed to wonder every day of our lives whether some random episode from the distant past is going to be plastered on the front page? I think not.