Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Sports > World Cup Forum
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

World Cup Forum Password: wcf

Old 04-07-2020, 01:51 PM
CAS

Studying for Prostate exam
College: Hard Knocks

The IOC/Olympics are indeed similarly crooked when it comes to cities awarded the games, but it's way older than 10 years. The first I can remember was the scandal involving the SLC winter games, but I imagine most other bids in recent decades have also involved suitcases of cash.

I googled to see if I could find the earliest known case of olympic bribery. Not exactly what I was looking for, but I found this

Quote:
Originally Posted by britannica
At the 67 CE Olympic Games, Roman Emperor Nero supposedly made frequent use of bribes—the first of which might have been to allow him to compete, as the early Games were traditionally limited to Greeks. Perhaps the most blatant example of his bribery occurred in the four-horse chariot race, in which he was allowed to compete with 10 horses. According to some reports, he fell from the chariot and did not complete the event. Nevertheless, officials still named him the winner.
Old 04-07-2020, 02:24 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for beer
Favorite beer: Fresh Squeezed IPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arthur Itas View Post
The IOC/Olympics are indeed similarly crooked when it comes to cities awarded the games, but it's way older than 10 years. The first I can remember was the scandal involving the SLC winter games, but I imagine most other bids in recent decades have also involved suitcases of cash.

I googled to see if I could find the earliest known case of olympic bribery. Not exactly what I was looking for, but I found this
Some North Korea-level shenanigans going on here.

AO Golfers Unite! Here and here.
Old 04-07-2020, 05:59 PM
Lead Guitarist
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Avery Mephistopheles

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Britannica
At the 67 CE Olympic Games, Roman Emperor Nero supposedly made frequent use of bribes—the first of which might have been to allow him to compete, as the early Games were traditionally limited to Greeks. Perhaps the most blatant example of his bribery occurred in the four-horse chariot race, in which he was allowed to compete with 10 horses. According to some reports, he fell from the chariot and did not complete the event. Nevertheless, officials still named him the winner.
Well that's the hardest I've laughed all week.
Old 04-16-2020, 12:55 PM
Non-Actuary

Favorite beer: Wicked Weed sours

Quote:

The Olympics were more of a loser up until 1984 when Peter U. brought in all the sponsors. The 1980 Winter Olympics near me, was relatively small scale. The speed skating was on an outdoor Class D high school track (maybe 200-300 students in high school). A medium sized arena built but some hockey played in 1932 Arena which had about 6 rows of bleachers (played there!). Sponsorship and infrastructure changed everything.
Old 04-16-2020, 12:59 PM
CAS

Studying for Prostate exam
College: Hard Knocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Rock View Post
Sponsorship and infrastructure changed everything.
Yep
Old 04-16-2020, 01:49 PM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid Rock View Post
The Olympics were more of a loser up until 1984 when Peter U. brought in all the sponsors. The 1980 Winter Olympics near me, was relatively small scale. The speed skating was on an outdoor Class D high school track (maybe 200-300 students in high school). A medium sized arena built but some hockey played in 1932 Arena which had about 6 rows of bleachers (played there!). Sponsorship and infrastructure changed everything.
The infrastructure was the real key.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wiki
The Oxford Olympics Study established the out-turn cost of the Los Angeles 1984 Summer Olympics at US$719 million in 2015-dollars.[13] This includes sports-related costs only, that is, (i) operational costs incurred by the organizing committee for the purpose of staging the Games, e.g., expenditures for technology, transportation, workforce, administration, security, catering, ceremonies, and medical services, and (ii) direct capital costs incurred by the host city and country or private investors to build, e.g., the competition venues, the Olympic village, international broadcast center, and media and press center, which are required to host the Games. Indirect capital costs are not included, such as for road, rail, or airport infrastructure, or for hotel upgrades or other business investment incurred in preparation for the Games but not directly related to staging the Games. The cost for Los Angeles 1984 compares with costs of US$4.6 billion for Rio 2016, US$40-44 billion for Beijing 2008 and US$51 billion for Sochi 2014, the most expensive Olympics in history. Average cost for the Summer Games since 1960 is US$5.2 billion.
(Bold is my doing.)

In 1984, hardly anything new was built. New velodrome was built (the 1932 Olympics had cycling in The Rose Bowl).
That was torn down to make the L.A. Galaxy's stadium, while a smaller indoor velodrome was eventually built nearby, and will be used for track cycling (250m instead of 333m long).

For 2028, same thing. Just looking at the wiki for it, nearly every venue is finished right now. Swimming pool will have to be top-notch, so, will be temporary, placed on the USC baseball field.
In 1984, people were basically told to stay home, so the freeways would be clear enough for athletes and spectators to get to places. Figure the same would happen in 2028.

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art

“That is reminiscent of Harry Truman’s famous saying, ‘The buck stops, uh, somewhere over there, maybe?' That is a level of dodging responsibility that Trump has been perfecting ever since he was very much not in Vietnam.” -- LWTwJO
Old 07-15-2020, 12:23 PM
SOA AAA

Bump for scheduling news: four matches per day, not simultaneous! 11 straight hours of beautiful, beautiful football!
Probably to be streamed on VulpesTV or whatever Fox comes up with to push soccer viewers off their networks.

https://www.espn.com/soccer/fifa-wor...a-day-in-qatar

"45 es un titere" -- Seal of The President of The United States of America protest art

“That is reminiscent of Harry Truman’s famous saying, ‘The buck stops, uh, somewhere over there, maybe?' That is a level of dodging responsibility that Trump has been perfecting ever since he was very much not in Vietnam.” -- LWTwJO