Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Old 10-08-2017, 02:41 PM
Non-Actuary

Default When you don't have diversity in your marketing team

Dove posted an ad on Facebook showing a black woman turning into a white woman after using a Dove product.

They didn't learn anything after a similar goof-up six years earlier.

And they're ignorant of the history of other ads depicting black=dirty, white=clean.

Old 10-08-2017, 03:04 PM
SOA

There's tremendously more diversity within the extremes of any single color than among taking the average persons of all the different colors. But unfortunately because of the differences we forged through prejudging by what we see, we ultimately created this synonymous coining of color of skin and diversity meaning the same thing.

What I'm trying to say is black or white we are equal in every regard except how many minutes till you sunburn. Skin Color WAS evolutionary by climate because if you by chance lived closer to the equator you need more melanin to protect skin cells and if you live in the Baltic where you get only a few sunshine hours a year and most of it around the summer solstice, you need as much vitamin D you can get by having less melanin to block it out.

Nowadays, we have SPF, and we have vitamin D supplements, and so using what works for your unique individuality, your skin color and my skin color should not have any thing separating us at all...SHOULDNT...except it does because we humans are superficial

Last edited by Latitude30; 10-08-2017 at 03:22 PM..
Old 10-08-2017, 03:44 PM

Favorite beer: Beer?! Blech. But Dad likes Dortmunder Union.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Latitude30 View Post
What I'm trying to say is black or white we are equal in every regard except how many minutes till you sunburn. Skin Color WAS evolutionary by climate because if you by chance lived closer to the equator you need more melanin to protect skin cells and if you live in the Baltic where you get only a few sunshine hours a year and most of it around the summer solstice, you need as much vitamin D you can get by having less melanin to block it out.
I knew there was a reason why the skin tone distribution of NBA starters so greatly parallels that of America in general.
EB's rules for AO political: 1. A responder who replies "who cares?", cares deeply. 1a. a responder who replies LMAO, or similar, agrees with me. 2. It's always funnier when EB says it. - Lucy (Whomever she was) 3. Don't assume I'm trying to convince you, or indeed, any Hillary or Bernie supporter. 4. If my posts are so blatantly wrong, why are you so insistent in following me? I'll not take you home! 5. I'm not happy until you're not happy. 6. "You sir are no racist. You seem to condescend to everyone equally. I salute you." - Rain in Africa.

"If you're not annoying somebody, you're not really alive." -- Margaret Atwood
Old 10-08-2017, 04:03 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

So I guess nobody bothered to ask, "Hey, does this sound like a stupid idea?"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:11 PM
CAS

College: Jamba Juice University
Favorite beer: AO Amber Ale

Reddit AMA request: somebody on the Dove marketing team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wigmeister General View Post
Don't you even think about sending me your resume. I'll turn it into an origami boulder and return it to you.
Old 10-08-2017, 04:14 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Blackadder View Post
I knew there was a reason why the skin tone distribution of NBA starters so greatly parallels that of America in general.
Africa, as the origination point of humanity, is home to the greatest amount of genetic diversity in the world. Is it that surprising that a large proportion of people with extreme phenotypes come from that population? There are genetic differences between people from different human populations, but these are explained primarily by geographic and reproductive isolation, not by skin tone. Taking the entire African continent, which contains a large proportion of the variability in the entire human genome, and putting it under the umbrella of "black people" is lazy thinking and not particularly useful from a genetic research standpoint. There is probably a correlation between skin tone and some measures of athleticism, but it is confounded my a multitude of factors that have very little to do with pigment producing genes.

Last edited by Polevault1; 10-08-2017 at 04:20 PM..
Old 10-08-2017, 05:21 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Incredible Hulctuary View Post
Dove posted an ad on Facebook showing a black woman turning into a white woman after using a Dove product.

They didn't learn anything after a similar goof-up six years earlier.
The second one looks more like an accident of the layout. The first one is just, like, "really?". I can't see how that one got through.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:35 PM

Favorite beer: Beer?! Blech. But Dad likes Dortmunder Union.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Polevault1 View Post
Africa, as the origination point of humanity, is home to the greatest amount of genetic diversity in the world.
I was wondering what you were planning to try. Would not the sea be the home of the greatest amount of genetic diversity in the world?

and the answer to the rest of your question is: Double-gosh, no! Successful genotypes would inevitably spread throughout the world, adapt to new local conditions, and crowd-out the less successful, because that's what successful genotypes do.
EB's rules for AO political: 1. A responder who replies "who cares?", cares deeply. 1a. a responder who replies LMAO, or similar, agrees with me. 2. It's always funnier when EB says it. - Lucy (Whomever she was) 3. Don't assume I'm trying to convince you, or indeed, any Hillary or Bernie supporter. 4. If my posts are so blatantly wrong, why are you so insistent in following me? I'll not take you home! 5. I'm not happy until you're not happy. 6. "You sir are no racist. You seem to condescend to everyone equally. I salute you." - Rain in Africa.

"If you're not annoying somebody, you're not really alive." -- Margaret Atwood
Old 10-08-2017, 06:38 PM
CAS

I have a hard time imagining a marketing department looking at that and giving the ok.
Old 10-08-2017, 06:50 PM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by E. Blackadder View Post
I was wondering what you were planning to try. Would not the sea be the home of the greatest amount of genetic diversity in the world?
Yes, but we're talking about humans imo.

Quote:
and the answer to the rest of your question is: Double-gosh, no! Successful genotypes would inevitably spread throughout the world, adapt to new local conditions, and crowd-out the less successful, because that's what successful genotypes do.
I don't see how that's incompatible with what I said. Human genetic diversity is like a series of mostly overlapping normal distributions. If you categorize everyone under "black" as one population, you end up with a distribution that lays over the top of just about all of the other ones, since the majority of human evolution took place in Africa before people started migrating out between 70 - 135k years ago. If you want to be specific and say something about Sub-Saharan African populations east of the Congo, then fine, but "black" as a descriptor is extremely broad.

Nobody denies that people from different areas have different genetic characteristics. It's just that black skin is a pretty terrible differentiator except maybe for things like sickle-cell, since it is a common phenotype and is associated with a huge number of genetic profiles. Why not make the same association between curly hair and athleticism? In most cases, you need to be more specific.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1893020/

Quote:
The proportion of human genetic variation due to differences between populations is modest, and individuals from different populations can be genetically more similar than individuals from the same population. Yet sufficient genetic data can permit accurate classification of individuals into populations. Both findings can be obtained from the same data set, using the same number of polymorphic loci. This article explains why. Our analysis focuses on the frequency, ω, with which a pair of random individuals from two different populations is genetically more similar than a pair of individuals randomly selected from any single population. We compare ω to the error rates of several classification methods, using data sets that vary in number of loci, average allele frequency, populations sampled, and polymorphism ascertainment strategy. We demonstrate that classification methods achieve higher discriminatory power than ω because of their use of aggregate properties of populations. The number of loci analyzed is the most critical variable: with 100 polymorphisms, accurate classification is possible, but ω remains sizable, even when using populations as distinct as sub-Saharan Africans and Europeans. Phenotypes controlled by a dozen or fewer loci can therefore be expected to show substantial overlap between human populations. This provides empirical justification for caution when using population labels in biomedical settings, with broad implications for personalized medicine, pharmacogenetics, and the meaning of race.
https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4750478/

Last edited by Polevault1; 10-08-2017 at 07:35 PM..