Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > CAS > CAS Exams > Exam 9 - Financial Risk & Rate of Return
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 04-07-2020, 10:24 PM
CAS

Default Fall 2020 CAS Exam 9 Thread

How are y'all planning to tackle this? I feel like I have 3 options:

1. Continue studying and risk being exam-ready and burnout too early

2. Try to maintain my current level then ramp up as exam gets closer

3. Take a break, and start studying like I would for a normally scheduled fall exam, so like late June/early July

I'm not sure how to do #2 without losing motivation so I'm leaning towards #1, but I'll probably end up doing #3 because I'm sick of studying.

Last edited by OnLevel; 04-26-2020 at 09:37 AM..
Old 04-07-2020, 10:31 PM
CAS

Studying for Exam 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnLevel View Post

1. Continue studying and risk being exam-ready and burnout

3. Take a break, and start studying like I would for a normally scheduled fall exam, so like late June/early July

I'm not sure how to do #2 without losing motivation so I'm leaning towards #1, but I'll probably end up doing #2 because I'm sick of studying.

Everyoneís different but #3 for me if I plan to stay sane.

I must say itís a weird feeling knowing Iíll go 18 months between exam sittings, without even skipping any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-07-2020, 10:47 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by KS6392 View Post
Everyoneís different but #3 for me if I plan to stay sane.

I must say itís a weird feeling knowing Iíll go 18 months between exam sittings, without even skipping any.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Ha, yeah. When I first started studying for this exam, I had just one kid who was barely walking and couldn't speak. By the time I'm done, my second kid will be walking and maybe even be able to speak.
Old 04-08-2020, 09:01 AM
CAS SOA

#2. I still have several core sections to go through. I'll keep an easy pace through those, keep up my flashcards as best I can, then re-evaluate in June.
Old 04-08-2020, 09:45 AM
CAS

College: The College of New Jersey
Favorite beer: Delerium

Any guesses as to when in October this thing is going to be? Concurrently with the original fall sittings or like a week before?

Naturally, I'm a groomsmen for a good friend's wedding on October 23rd and, the way things have been going, I'm feeling like that's going to be the exam date...
Old 04-08-2020, 09:48 AM
CAS

I am going to take a break. I can't believe I took three practice exams before this was first delayed.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:04 AM
CAS

I'm taking a break for my own mental health. This whole thing was stressful enough, I need to give myself a break.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:33 AM
CAS

Studying for the heck of it

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnLevel View Post

1. Continue studying and risk being exam-ready and burnout too early

I'm not sure how to do #2 without losing motivation so I'm leaning towards #1, but I'll probably end up doing #2 because I'm sick of studying.
Not studying for 9 here, but I'm seriously considering

#4. Take a break from 7 and spend 4 months on 8 and then back to 7 in September.
Old 04-08-2020, 10:35 AM
CAS

Studying for 8, for the umpteenth time
Favorite beer: Not beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by j.lack View Post
Any guesses as to when in October this thing is going to be? Concurrently with the original fall sittings or like a week before?

Naturally, I'm a groomsmen for a good friend's wedding on October 23rd and, the way things have been going, I'm feeling like that's going to be the exam date...
MAS-II is currently set for October 23. I don't expect the CAS to drop an upper-level exam on that date, seeing as how it hasn't done that previously and there's clearly dates where say 9 could have been done the same time as an MAS or an old 3 and it didn't. I would also guess they are not doing exams concurrently. They wouldn't want to risk supposedly smart people mixing up exams when collecting them and now someone at the CAS office has to go through however many boxes to re-sort correctly and then track down any missing exams.

AM/PM exams? Really doubtful. Right now a 4-hour exam starts at 8:30am and it's over around 1:00pm by the time everything is picked up and the room cleared. You're probably not getting a 2nd exam ready to start before 1:30pm, and then you're going to 6:00pm to wrap that up. How many candidates really want to still be working on an exam beyond when they usually wrap up the work day?

Different rooms, same location so two exams can run in one day? Not all locations can (will) do that. There's also the matter of getting FCAS to volunteer to proctor.

We're only talking about 2 extra dates here - one for 7, one for 9. I would guess either they'll go immediately after the current dates scheduled (so October 26 and 27) or immediately before (so October 15 and 16).

Last edited by Mud; 04-08-2020 at 10:39 AM..
Old 04-08-2020, 11:23 AM
CAS

Studying for 9
Favorite beer: Alcoholic

Quote:
Originally Posted by AgentF View Post
I'm taking a break for my own mental health. This whole thing was stressful enough, I need to give myself a break.

Taking a month off and having 5 months is more than enough time given weíve seen the material already. Itís way too difficult to stay motivated for such a long time, I think a break almost feels necessary.