Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Exams - Please Limit Discussion to Exam-Related Topics > CAS > CAS Exams - General
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Upload your resume securely at https://www.dwsimpson.com
to be contacted when our jobs meet your skills and objectives.

Old 07-10-2020, 11:01 AM
CAS

Default CAS exams and Covid

There's discussion in a lot of the individual exam threads, but I thought it might be useful to combine it into one place. The big news, of course, is that the CAS is accelerating the move to CBT as a result of the pandemic:

https://www.casact.org/press/index.c...articleID=4753

Of course, this is a little premature since the CAS is going to have a webinar about this on July 27, but I think the CAS monitors the outpost, and comments in a thread like this give them one informal source of candidate concerns, question, and opinions. Of course, if you have a concern, question, or opinion and you want to make sure the CAS is aware of it, you should contact the CAS directly. They've even set up an email address just for that:

arc@casact.org

But sometimes people want to worry aloud, and commiserate, and perhaps this will be a useful place to do it.
Old 07-10-2020, 11:52 AM
CAS

I'll list my concerns:

1. What kind of controls is the CAS putting into place to ensure exam integrity? I get all the stuff about code of conduct, but I would like more. It was hard enough for people (including myself) to not discuss exam questions until 5PM ET on pre-corona exam days. Expecting that to work for 3 weeks isn't realistic, imo.

2. 1Q 2021 is kind of vague in terms of when to expect exam results. Is it January? February? March?

3. Is everyone taking the same exam, or are there going to be multiple versions of the exam with some overlap? This would help address #1.
Old 07-10-2020, 12:37 PM
CAS SOA

Good questions. TBH, with respect to exam integrity, I'm not sure what more they can do, beyond your #3. But that would also create issues with respect to fairness. They can look at relative scores between the weeks, but higher scores later could just as well be due to extra studying.
Old 07-10-2020, 01:18 PM
CAS

Studying for 8, for the umpteenth time
Favorite beer: Not beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnLevel View Post
I'll list my concerns:

1. What kind of controls is the CAS putting into place to ensure exam integrity? I get all the stuff about code of conduct, but I would like more. It was hard enough for people (including myself) to not discuss exam questions until 5PM ET on pre-corona exam days. Expecting that to work for 3 weeks isn't realistic, imo.

2. 1Q 2021 is kind of vague in terms of when to expect exam results. Is it January? February? March?

3. Is everyone taking the same exam, or are there going to be multiple versions of the exam with some overlap? This would help address #1.
4. What's the back-up plan for this, in case test centers can't open due to local restrictions / self-imposed closures?

5. What's with some areas reporting there are very limited test dates / times available?
Old 07-10-2020, 01:50 PM
CAS

I don't think there's any better alternative that's going to prevent cheating. CAS is just going to have to accept higher pass ratios.
Old 07-10-2020, 01:53 PM
CAS

Yeah I agree with this. Hopefully, they don't do the opposite and raise the pass mark.
Old 07-10-2020, 01:54 PM
CAS

Or maybe they can do a curve for these exams. So that way only top 40% marks pass. That way you're just screwing yourself over if you tell your friend what was on the exam
Old 07-10-2020, 02:42 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by OnLevel View Post
If multiple versions, CAS would need a lot more volunteers for question writing & grading FWIW
Old 07-10-2020, 02:45 PM
CAS

Quote:
Originally Posted by barrysanders20 View Post
If multiple versions, CAS would need a lot more volunteers for question writing & grading FWIW
Old 07-10-2020, 02:53 PM
CAS

6. Are people who are in at-risk categories or who live with people who are in at-risk categories just SOL? I can't imagine someone who has a much higher risk of dying if they get coronavirus wants to go sit in an enclosed room with strangers for 4+ hours.