Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Diversions
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

ACTUARIAL SALARY SURVEYS
Contact DW Simpson for a Personalized Salary Survey

Old 04-24-2006, 05:38 PM

Studying for CAS 6
College: Kansas State University

A unicycle wreck on Thursday finished my season for me (there are two weeks left). Probably a good thing since my average has gone down 7 pins in the last 3 weeks to a 183. Just found the thread too. I don't spend enough time in diversions.
Old 04-25-2006, 10:49 AM
SOA

Favorite beer: KCCO Gold Lager

went last night after studying to have my thumb hole widened a little bit...my thumb was way too tight (to the point some skin was wearing away)...later at night I went and tested it out, feels a lot better. I'm still working on getting the motion down, and with the thumb coming out freely, it felt a lot better and I was getting revolutions on the ball and finding the pocket early in the night. A few games in though I wasn't getting as much movement on the ball and I was either coming in high, or not breaking into the pocket.

I think the important thing is that I feel like I'm getting the motion down and getting movement from the ball. It's building endurance and muscle memory from here I think. Gotta keep practicing. League starts soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rawl316 View Post
I like playing with myself
Old 04-25-2006, 06:23 PM
Site Supporter
Site Supporter
CAS AAA

It's all about the repetition. Once you have a relatively consistent arm swing and can start hitting your mark, then you can worry about reading the lanes and making adjustments as the games go on.
Old 04-28-2006, 09:32 AM
SOA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Franchise
It's all about the repetition. Once you have a relatively consistent arm swing and can start hitting your mark, then you can worry about reading the lanes and making adjustments as the games go on.
went last night and I was pretty consistent with the arm swing and movement on the ball...
156, 163, 155, 156, 164

In those 5 games I averaged 4 open frames a game. If I can cut that down to even 2 open per game I can jump another 20 pins or so.
10 pin spares are still tough for me and I was only able to pick up about half of them. I'll look into a spare ball in the future, but I think I can get it with my Pryo.

Quote:
Old 04-28-2006, 11:04 AM

Favorite beer: Ummmmm....Beer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wannabe Actuary
went last night and I was pretty consistent with the arm swing and movement on the ball...
156, 163, 155, 156, 164

In those 5 games I averaged 4 open frames a game. If I can cut that down to even 2 open per game I can jump another 20 pins or so.
10 pin spares are still tough for me and I was only able to pick up about half of them. I'll look into a spare ball in the future, but I think I can get it with my Pryo.
What kind of adjustments are you making for 10 pins? If you are a righty, and find the ball hooking away from the 10 pin, move your feet a couple of boards left and throw the same shot.

Also, here is some advice if you are serious about learning how to make the corner pins. Go to your bowling center, and ask if you can get one of their workers to only set the "10" pin for you while you bowl. If you give them like $20, they will do it for you.

Once you do learn how to hook the ball properly, the corner pins will be your most consistent leave. So you have to find out a way how to make them. This will help, trust cohete!
Old 04-28-2006, 11:18 AM
SOA

I am a righty, and what I do is move all the way to the left, and toss at the center arrow. Usually that's about right for the ball I have (mostly late lane movement) to stay along the edge and get it. When I miss it, I'm usually sliding into the gutter. I think it's more me missing the spot I'm throwing at...so I just need to work on hitting the spots I want, which should get practice with each toss.

Quote:
Old 04-28-2006, 11:46 AM

I'll practice corner pins on the first ball for a few frames in my first game, going for the pocket on the second ball.

When I shoot a 10 pin, I'll start with a particular board as a target. As I approach the foul line, the angle for that particular board changes. Somehow or other, my brain/swing seem to compensate for this.

I've thought about lining up a target and walking towards it, rather than perpendicular to the foul line. Since what I'm doing works well enough, I haven't tried it.
Old 04-28-2006, 01:39 PM
SOA

just got in two games at lunch with two other posters...still consistent...

occassionally I turned my wrist, but all in all it was good. turns out I drift a little on my approach, but it's comfortable to me.

I think I left the 10 pin by itself 4 times and I hit it 3 times. Small sample, but I think I got a method to it now.

152, 194

that 194 is not only my high score with this ball, it's my highest score yet....better than the 193 I had cranking, and I have no idea what my high straight bowl game was.

Quote:
Old 05-01-2006, 12:40 AM

Favorite beer: The kind with 2 e's

i went bowling this weekend. I bowl every time I am at a 7 year old's birthday party, and not much more often.

started with a 155, and followed it with a sweet 207, my all time high! I think I even had a 6 frame somewhere in that 207. It was magical. the straight ball was working at this place.
Old 05-01-2006, 09:05 AM

Favorite beer: Ummmmm....Beer

You mean a 6 frames of strikes tommie?

Its a great game, and once you get involved in it, it is addicting.

Most people don't understand how hard it is, and how the lanes can affect things.

If you aren't, join a league. It is a fun way to let loose and meet some cool people. Just don't take it SO SO seriously, that you hate the game (Right Sponge?)

My summer sport shot league starts tomorrow