Actuarial Outpost
 
Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics > TV Shows, Movies, Books, etc
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Salary Surveys
Property & Casualty, Life, Health & Pension

Health Actuary Jobs
Insurance & Consulting jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows

Actuarial Recruitment
Visit DW Simpson's website for more info.
www.dwsimpson.com/about

Casualty Jobs
Property & Casualty jobs for Students, Associates & Fellows


Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
  #14521  
Old 03-10-2020, 05:59 PM
therealsylvos's Avatar
therealsylvos therealsylvos is offline
Member
CAS
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 17,748
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arroway View Post
Just tried an experiment, and got an Audible UK account. Bought the platinum annual, and it was just under $144 in USD. That's $6 per credit.

Better yet, when I spent them all (I have a big wishlist in US store and wanted to do this all at once so I didn't have to go back and forth between accounts), they offered me a deal to buy 3 more credits for 11, which is under $5 per credit.

So as long as they have what you want (and sometimes they have the same book but with a different narrator, so pay attention), their credits are WAY cheaper than US.
I assume as matter of course their narrators are better.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by ao fan View Post
i like laying in the tube and pretending that i'm dead.
Reply With Quote
  #14522  
Old 03-11-2020, 04:52 PM
ajstudies's Avatar
ajstudies ajstudies is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Favorite beer: root
Posts: 3,898
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arroway View Post
Just tried an experiment, and got an Audible UK account. Bought the platinum annual, and it was just under $144 in USD. That's $6 per credit.

Better yet, when I spent them all (I have a big wishlist in US store and wanted to do this all at once so I didn't have to go back and forth between accounts), they offered me a deal to buy 3 more credits for 11, which is under $5 per credit.

So as long as they have what you want (and sometimes they have the same book but with a different narrator, so pay attention), their credits are WAY cheaper than US.
Did you need a UK address? Just curious how this works. I always wanted to hear the UK version of the Harry Potter audiobooks.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell
There's definitely a humor diversity in the profession.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Twin View Post
If there are any stray hairs around, feel free to split them while I'm gone.
Reply With Quote
  #14523  
Old 03-11-2020, 05:02 PM
campbell's Avatar
campbell campbell is offline
Mary Pat Campbell
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
Location: NY
Studying for duolingo and coursera
Favorite beer: Murphy's Irish Stout
Posts: 92,976
Blog Entries: 6
Default

A Distant Mirror, Barbara Tuchman

about the effect the Black Death had on medieval culture/politics
__________________
It's STUMP

LinkedIn Profile
Reply With Quote
  #14524  
Old 03-11-2020, 10:43 PM
Arroway's Avatar
Arroway Arroway is offline
Member
CAS SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: In a house
Studying for Done, bois!
College: UConn
Favorite beer: Barq's or Mug, or any local Root Beer with caffeine
Posts: 1,599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajstudies View Post
Did you need a UK address? Just curious how this works. I always wanted to hear the UK version of the Harry Potter audiobooks.
I entered a UK address, yes. It depends on the book whether you need it or not (different licensing for different publishers).

I used my US credit card, but with a UK billing address, and it worked fine.

I used this address:
13 Worple Avenue
London SW19 4JQ

If you have a Capital One credit card, they don't charge currency conversion fees.
__________________
Arroway, Injustice 2 Raid Leader

All opinions are either my own, or made up for dramatic and/or comedic effect.

Reply With Quote
  #14525  
Old 03-11-2020, 10:45 PM
Arroway's Avatar
Arroway Arroway is offline
Member
CAS SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: In a house
Studying for Done, bois!
College: UConn
Favorite beer: Barq's or Mug, or any local Root Beer with caffeine
Posts: 1,599
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by therealsylvos View Post
I assume as matter of course their narrators are better.
I like a good British accent, but it's harder to follow a foreign accent at 2X.
__________________
Arroway, Injustice 2 Raid Leader

All opinions are either my own, or made up for dramatic and/or comedic effect.

Reply With Quote
  #14526  
Old 03-12-2020, 08:39 PM
Lusus Naturae's Avatar
Lusus Naturae Lusus Naturae is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Favorite beer: Yes, Please
Posts: 1,629
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusus Naturae View Post
I started Gideon the Ninth this morning.
It's.. interesting, heh. About halfway through. There are some very modern colloquialisms that sometimes take me out of the story when I'm not used to them (the main character feels like a very modern online teenager, with things like 'Die in a fire' said to an adversary).

But after about 80 pages I got into it.
Reply With Quote
  #14527  
Old 03-15-2020, 10:10 PM
ajstudies's Avatar
ajstudies ajstudies is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Favorite beer: root
Posts: 3,898
Default

The COVID-19 thread is what I'm reading these days:

http://www.actuarialoutpost.com/actuarial_discussion_forum/showthread.php?t=346237
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by campbell
There's definitely a humor diversity in the profession.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Twin View Post
If there are any stray hairs around, feel free to split them while I'm gone.

Last edited by ajstudies; 03-15-2020 at 10:21 PM..
Reply With Quote
  #14528  
Old 03-16-2020, 09:22 AM
Lusus Naturae's Avatar
Lusus Naturae Lusus Naturae is offline
Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2010
Favorite beer: Yes, Please
Posts: 1,629
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lusus Naturae View Post
It's.. interesting, heh. About halfway through. There are some very modern colloquialisms that sometimes take me out of the story when I'm not used to them (the main character feels like a very modern online teenager, with things like 'Die in a fire' said to an adversary).

But after about 80 pages I got into it.
Finished a couple nights ago, and started Circe by Madeline Miller; about halfway through that.
Reply With Quote
  #14529  
Old 03-17-2020, 01:58 PM
Take 2's Avatar
Take 2 Take 2 is offline
Member
SOA AAA
 
Join Date: Sep 2001
Location: second estate
Favorite beer: Hires Root
Posts: 5,586
Default

Reader's Digest
__________________
there is no situation so bad that
getting upset won't make it worse
Reply With Quote
  #14530  
Old 03-18-2020, 02:29 AM
vjvj's Avatar
vjvj vjvj is offline
Note Contributor
Non-Actuary
 
Join Date: Nov 2005
Location: IL
Studying for MFE
Posts: 7,942
Default

I finished Sunset Beach. It's a mystery. Young woman joins her estranged billboard-famous father(who also married her estranged old best school friend)'s law firm on the phone hotlines and runs into an old murder and an older disappearance that interest her. When it was actually about the murder solving it was OK. But it took WAY too long to set things up and too much time was spent in wrapup. The problem there was just that the writing wasn't very good. You didn't notice it as much during the murder solving, but noticed it a lot at the start and end.

I started The Picture Of Dorian Grey.

I was smart enough to think ahead and hit the library for several long audiobooks before the virus closed the library. With the library closed, they're now on indefinite checkout. I also snagged a chromecast while I was there, even though I'm not sure what to do with it. If I get hospitalized and start to recover, I guess it could be handy there.
__________________
.
PLEASE SUPPORT CHILDREN'S CANCER RESEARCH

TO DONATE, OR FOR MORE INFO, CLICK HERE
Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 12:35 AM.


Powered by vBulletin®
Copyright ©2000 - 2020, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
*PLEASE NOTE: Posts are not checked for accuracy, and do not
represent the views of the Actuarial Outpost or its sponsors.
Page generated in 0.47935 seconds with 10 queries