Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Actuarial Discussion Forum > Careers - Employment
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Search Actuarial Jobs by State @ DWSimpson.com:
AL AK AR AZ CA CO CT DE FL GA HI ID IL IN IA KS KY LA
ME MD MA MI MN MS MO MT NE NH NJ NM NY NV NC ND
OH OK OR PA RI SC SD TN TX UT VT VA WA WV WI WY

Old 06-14-2009, 11:31 AM

Studying for Life
Favorite beer: Free Beer

That's where going to an ESL class may be helpful. I'm just an idiot spouting out advice while an ESL teacher probably has experience addressing your particular problem.
Grand Funk Railroad paved the way for Jefferson Airplane, which cleared the way for Jefferson Starship. The stage was now set for the Alan Parsons Project, which I believe was some sort of hovercraft. For more information on Grand Funk consult your local library.
Old 06-14-2009, 11:45 AM

Location: This is the worst kind of discrimination. The kind against me.
Favorite beer: Grizzly. No, wait - polar bears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack View Post
4) Listen to NPR
You want Ruud Van Nistelrooij to learn to speak English with an asthmatic strain in his or her voice?
Old 06-14-2009, 11:51 AM
frequent poster
SOA

Studying for exam 97
College: Phoenix On-Line
Favorite beer: TC-17x97

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin 1 View Post
You want Ruud Van Nistelrooij to learn to speak English with an asthmatic strain in his or her voice?
...and adopt a liberal outlook?
Old 06-14-2009, 07:49 PM

http://www.linguistlist.org/ask-ling/accent.html

Scroll down to the section on how to change your accent with a cassette tape (though it's better to use a digital recorder for faster rewind). There's nothing easy or quick with this method. It may take several months just to see any progress. But if you work at it long enough you will be able to sound like an American.

As a Cantonese, you have a sing songy way of speaking English because of the many different tones (7-9?) in your language. Listen to the way Americans speak and realize that they speak fairly "flat" in their tonality -- that is, there is not as much inflection in the way they speak.

As a Chinese, you probably have problems distinguishing between tense in English. That is to say, you probably have problems recognizing the different forms of verbs that reveal timing (for example, in English we say "He ate dinner." Here the verb "eat" becomes "ate" because it has happened in the past. In Chinese, the form of verbs never change to denote tense. So quite often you will hear them make mistakes like, "Yesterday I eat dinner at 7:00 pm.").

PM me if you need any other tips.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:13 PM

You can read Playboy magazine in order to alter your lifestyle and fit the fast lane. But it may cause a split personality.

In my experience in this field, what stands out regarding one Chinese person versus
another are English conversation skills. I wish you luck in this area.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:19 PM
Lucy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Nistelrooij View Post
One question...

The U.S.A is a giant country

there might be many many different accents

Just want to know if there is any communication problem when you're talking with people from other states, for example, a people from New york city talking with a people from San Fransico

I am also facing the same problem

My primary lamguage is Cantonese, I sometimes find difficulty in communicating people from Guangzhou due to different accents
The USA is a large country, but it's only a couple hundred years old, and we've had extensive cross-country communication for a lot of that time. It's very unusual for two native-born Americans to have any trouble understanding each other. Once, i knew that my call for computer help had been transferred to India because the person on the phone had difficulty understanding me, and that could really only mean he was from out of the US. (I could understand his Indian accent, but he couldn't understand my US accent.)

If co-workers have a lot of trouble understanding you, yes, that's a deal breaker.

A lot of my foreign friends watch American movies and sitcoms for practice. That's cheap, and easy to arrange.
Old 06-14-2009, 10:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandals and Socks Guy View Post

As a Chinese, you probably have problems distinguishing between tense in English. That is to say, you probably have problems recognizing the different forms of verbs that reveal timing (for example, in English we say "He ate dinner." Here the verb "eat" becomes "ate" because it has happened in the past. In Chinese, the form of verbs never change to denote tense. So quite often you will hear them make mistakes like, "Yesterday I eat dinner at 7:00 pm.").
Yeah, almost every Chinese person I know, be they Mandarin or Cantonese speaking, suffers from this problem. Even the ones who are 100% fluent and only have a slight accent still do this frequently enough that I notice it. I consider it pretty minor though and it certainly wouldn't be a big enough problem for me to complain about their poor English skills.
Old 06-15-2009, 07:11 AM

Studying for nication

It's a deal breaker.

Try to set a goal of passing a certain English certification level test by a certain time, that way you will be more structred in what you are learning. Watching TV is helpful because usually even if you don't understand everything it will still be entertaining. If possible try to get a tandem learning partner (because they're free) or go to a course where you have to speak sometimes so that you can get feedback on what you could be doing better.

If you speak with an accent but are grammatically correct and understandable it shouldn't be a problem, so don't worry about that yet.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfasdf View Post
It's a deal breaker.

Try to set a goal of passing a certain English certification level test by a certain time, that way you will be more structred in what you are learning. Watching TV is helpful because usually even if you don't understand everything it will still be entertaining. If possible try to get a tandem learning partner (because they're free) or go to a course where you have to speak sometimes so that you can get feedback on what you could be doing better.

If you speak with an accent but are grammatically correct and understandable it shouldn't be a problem, so don't worry about that yet.
thanks for all your replies

have u guys ever talked with Hong Kong people over the phone??

Do you think Hong Kong people can speak good English??

as u know, most Hong Kong people speak Chinglish
Old 06-15-2009, 12:09 PM
SOA AAA

Studying for LRM

I thought you didn't need to learn English, we all had to learn Chinese?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ruud Van Nistelrooij View Post
My country China is getting stronger now, we will dominate the world (instead of USA) in the coming future. Most countries in the world use products made in China, such as clothes, fabric, ribbon, handcraft, candle etc etc . Therefore, the US governments establish some anti-dumping laws to protect their local industries(eg a ribbon importer in USA needs an import lisence to import ribbon )

Now, more and more people in USA learn how to speak Chinese, more and more actuarial students in Chinese Mainland take SOA Exams and most of them get good results. In the coming future, acturial job will be very hit in China mainland as more and more people in Chinese Mainland will purchase insurance . Therefore, I think you guys should learn Chinese, practise more SOA/CAS past exams papers (really not difficult at all [I am not arrogant]).
If you get enough qualification, you may try to work in my country. My country is really a good country, there are plenty of delicious food, beautidul scene and lot of pretty girls ( my city Hong Kong has lot of pretty girls)