Actuarial Outpost

Go Back   Actuarial Outpost > Cyberchat > Non-Actuarial Topics
FlashChat Actuarial Discussion Preliminary Exams CAS/SOA Exams Cyberchat Around the World Suggestions

Fill in a brief DW Simpson Registration Form
to be contacted when new jobs meet your criteria.

Old 06-17-2009, 10:08 AM

Could you break that down a little bit Griffin?
Old 06-17-2009, 10:10 AM
SOA AAA

Favorite beer: Scotch

Quote:
Originally Posted by Griffin 1 View Post
If, for example, school started at 8:30, and ended at 11:25, my guess is that someone subtracted the ending time from the starting time. Then, they took the difference and subtracted it from 180 (if less than 180) and determined that the half-day was 5 minutes short.

Hope this helps.
I see you believe someone from the school board is at the school to record the actual starting and ending times. Makes as much sense as anything else you write.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajstudies View Post
So what would you do the next year, when they wanted to hold your kid back b/c they did not "complete" the previous grade? In my state if a kid misses more than 20 days, I think, they are supposed to go to summer school or be held back. It's a stupid rule, but it would probably be a pain to fight it.
which also goes to the discussion on a week off from school for a vacation. If it makes a kid go over the 20 or whatever the magic number is then it is a problem
Old 06-17-2009, 10:16 AM

Location: This is the worst kind of discrimination. The kind against me.
Favorite beer: Grizzly. No, wait - polar bears.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patience View Post
I see you believe someone from the school board is at the school to record the actual starting and ending times. Makes as much sense as anything else you write.
I see your comprehension is as lacking as ever. The school records the start and ending times. The bus drivers know exactly when to drop off and pick up. So do the parents who take their kids to and from school.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:17 AM
Lucy

LOL, my kids' elementary school did the opposite. They were rebuilding the school, and the contruction team got a little ahead of schedule, and someone realized that if they had 7 more days without school they could do the whole project in one season, at a huge savings in time, money, and general nuisance. So they cut the school year short. But state law mandated some number of hours, the the kids all stayed 5 minutes late for ages to make it up.

I don't think they learned anything extra in the extra 5 minutes, but it was my taxes being charged less, and my kids who didn't have to have classes in temporary space in the gym during construction, and get their classroom space moved twice within a school year, so I thought it was a brilliant way to do the right thing and also stay within the rules.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:18 AM
Lucy

Quote:
I see you believe someone from the school board is at the school to record the actual starting and ending times. Makes as much sense as anything else you write.. . .
Quote:
I see your comprehension is as lacking as ever. The school records the start and ending times. The bus drivers know exactly when to drop off and pick up. So do the parents who take their kids to and from school.
I'm with Griff on this one. The starting and ending times of each school are a matter of public record and are widely known and easy to check up on.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:24 AM
Now 20% less conceivable!
CAS

I'd take my kids out of the school and "home school" them. Then transfer them back at the last minute. Is this possible?
Old 06-17-2009, 10:27 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucy View Post
I'm with Griff on this one. The starting and ending times of each school are a matter of public record and are widely known and easy to check up on.
I would think the scheduled starting and ending times would be public record. I guess I was taking for granted that letting them out 5 - 10 minutes early would never have been noted.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:34 AM
Non-Actuary

Studying for C4
College: Chambana
Favorite beer: Whatever you buy me

I read about a school district in the area that is opening another high school and splitting siblings between 2 high schools. So older kid X gets to go to A while younger kid Y gets to go to B. What a pain in the ass.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:36 AM

Location: This is the worst kind of discrimination. The kind against me.
Favorite beer: Grizzly. No, wait - polar bears.

Quote:
I would think the scheduled starting and ending times would be public record. I guess I was taking for granted that letting them out 5 - 10 minutes early would never have been noted.
It's not Little House on the Prairie where Miss Beadle says "You've worked hard today children, so I'm letting you go 5 minutes early." They can't just let them go early without coordinating the release time with all of the parents, busdrivers, and after-school caregivers.
Old 06-17-2009, 10:38 AM
SOA AAA

Quote:
It's not Little House on the Prairie where Miss Beadle says "You've worked hard today children, so I'm letting you go 5 minutes early." They can't just let them go early without coordinating the release time with all of the parents, busdrivers, and after-school caregivers.
I was going for negilgence, that is just stupidity then